New Build Advice?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Steerforth, Feb 12, 2020 at 11:30 AM.

1. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

I’m going to order the stuff for a new amp build today, and I’m torn between two options.

The point of this amp is to not only be an amp, but also a test bed for mods and learning. And I’ll be building the cabinet and intend to get creative with that as well, artistically, and perhaps trying to figure out some sort of, “quick draw” design for quickly accessing everything for tinkering.

Option one is the 5F2A, a nice, comfortable option, like a friendly yellow lab. But I feel that single-ended would only go so far as a platform for ongoing experimentation.

The other option is a 5E3. It’s like looking at a German Shepherd over a fence, for me. It might be friendly, but maybe not. But I think push-pull would lend itself to far more possibilities when experimenting, and learning.

This amp will not have a peaceful life, if things go as I envision. It will be tinkered with often. But when not under the knife, I’d like it to remain portable and somewhere near normal looking.

I’m only a half mile or so down the road from ignoramus when it comes to building tube amps. Should I stay in comfortable territory and build more complex circuits when I’ve milked the 5F2A for all it’s worth?

Or shall I jump over the fence and try to pet the German Shepherd? The 5E3 seems like it would offer more potential for modding and learning. But I don’t want to get bit, LOL!

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted

I like German Shepards myself. Very versatile dog. Can be a friendly family dog but can be mean when needed.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020 at 1:10 PM
    Steerforth likes this.
  3. Steerforth

Well, I’ve done it now! Mojotone 5E3 stuff inbound.

I decided to go with a 5E3 build because it is probably #1 as far as discussion, available information, number of well-documented mods, etcetera.

If I succeed with the 5E3, get to know it well, experiment with lots of mods, and learn a lot, my next build will be very, very interesting. I’m hoping to venture into, “there-ain’t-no-kit-for-that” territory after this. But that will be awhile. And hopefully this 5E3 build will get me there.

Thanks for the input, RollingBender! And thanks to everyone for all the learning that I’ve done here over the years.

LudwigvonBirk, robrob and BigDaddy23 like this.
  4. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted

I have modified my old 5e3 build several times over the years. The circuit is currently an exact copy of a Divided by Thirteen CJ11. Experimenting with mods and different circuits can be fun but the 5e3 chassis is a tough bugger to work in. Building a 5e3 in the standard tiny, tweed style chassis is a tight fit but trying to perform mods and circuit changes can be even more difficult.

Steerforth and robrob like this.
  5. Steerforth

Just got an e-mail from Mojotone. The 5E3 stuff that I ordered is now on its way.

I guess it’s time to make sure the soldering station is ready to go (it should be), and figure out what mods I want to incorporate.

To begin with, I’m only inclined to mods that will let me turn it down to civilized levels when necessary, and those that protect the amp.

The others may come later, but I’d like to get to know it in more or less original form before I stray too far from stock 5E3.

Any suggestions as to desirable initial mods that won’t alter things too much? I’m looking through robrob’s 5E3 mod list and trying to stick to advisable basics at first, before eventually wandering off into the exotica.

Thanks for your insights!

6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Ooops.

The "well documented mods" are a buncha hooey. I don't use 'em.

Maybe slightly oversized filter caps...

Don't overdo it.

Although...

The tweed style lends itself to tinkering. Remove the back panel, it's all right there.

A 5E3 chassis is a bus garage compared to a 5F1.

Steerforth likes this.
  7. Steerforth

That’s what I was hoping. Anything beyond a 5F1 ought to seem positively roomy.

8. rough eye

rough eye TDPRI Member

in my humble and mostly inexperienced opinion, the 5e3 is a pretty simple circuit.

as far as tight quarters is concerned, i found the heater wires to be the biggest pain in the ass of the whole project. with everything else the space wasn't really an issue.

i did hardly any mods to mine until i'd played through it for a couple weeks.

Steerforth likes this.
  9. TobyZ28

TobyZ28 Tele-Meister

Glad you went with the 5E3 only because it's the only one I've done ;) Here is my layout with a few mods integrated into it. I'm very happy with the selectable NFB option. I also opted for shielded cables for the input jacks, and the normal volume wire run to help minimize noise. The rectifier saver was just a preventative/safety/reliability mod... For volume mods I just built a separate attenuator instead and its great!
    Doing changes in the chassis so far for me has been no issues so far, it's all about angles and having tidy wires to begin with ;)
    5e3_Tube_Guitar_Amplifier V1.1.png

10. Steerforth

Thanks for the advice and the layout, TobyZ28! I’m hoping to keep mine mostly stock, with only the mods that Fender should have done and/or the ones that common sense dictates.

I am thinking about a very non-traditional (appearance-wise) cabinet. And once the amp is stable and known well, further mods will probably come in time. I’m sort of building this one for mod experiments.

Eventually, I may build another 5E3 and leave it pretty much unmodified. But this one will be the mod amp.

Thanks again!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.