New bridge pins: report

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Charlie Bernstein, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks to all of you who had suggestions on bridge pin replacement.

I got a set of rosewood pins and used two to replace the top two bone pins to tame the shrillness of the B and high E strings.

The verdict: it's an improvement. I'm not wincing at high notes anymore. I might still try heavier B and high E strings to see what happens some day - it's fun to experiment - but there's no hurry.

And yes, the improvement might just be my imagination. But my ears are happy, so I'm happy.

Again, thanks!

Gabrielle84 and DrPepper like this.
  2. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Good idea. I use ebony bridge pins from China on ebay on all my acoustics. The are all oversized so I can turn them to fit on my drill press.

3. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Glad it worked. I don't know what model guitar you have, but there does seems to have been a steady move towards making overtone-loaded, zing-y acoustics, and those of us who favor stronger fundamental notes and less of the excessive harmonics have either gravitated towards instruments built for what we prefer, or found strings, picks, and/or pins that help keep things under control better.

4. Charlie Bernstein

It's a '76 Guild D-35, my Number-one/Forever guitar. It's my second Guild, and it fits my style better than any of the Gibsons and Martins I've had. Guilds are the Teles of acoustic guitars: bouncy, twangy, fat, articulate, and assertive, ready to rise to the occasion whatever the situation.

: cb2.png

5. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, but the producer said to give him more of that bright overtone laden guitar... And, I think that is why all-mahogany guitars work well with singer-songwriters...

Charlie, glad you got it worked out...

6. Charlie Bernstein

Thanks!

Yeah, both mahogany and rosewood can be magical. They are different, but whether either sounds good seems to be more about the quality of the build than anything else. This Guild is as loud as the D-28 I sold recently, but the Martin was too balanced and even-tempered for my style. A vanilla tone. Pretty, but in a so-what way.

The Guild's voice is more conversational. It laughs, cries, pontificates, barks orders, and gossips with equal ease. Again, it's a Tele that way.

My sister's Gibson LG-0 is all mahogany, including the top. And she put nylon strings on it. Odd to play, but a sweet little axe.

Gabrielle84 and DrPepper like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.