New Brent Mason DVD.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JPW2105, Nov 1, 2011.

1. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

This is the perfect gift that (Mrs.) Santa Claus can get me for Xmas. Thanks for the heads up everyone.

2. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Got it today!

Looks really cool...one thing I noticed is that you can't click right to the solos, you have to fast forward to them. Not a huge deal...

There is a ton of stuff on this DVD to dig into, I'll post a more detailed review after I spend some time on it... sounds like some very classic Brent Mason guitar parts, some real cool musical stuff going on in this video

There are 85 pages of transcriptions in full notation and tablature that cover the 2 songs on the DVD. (EIGHTY FIVE PAGES!) ... The transcriptions were done by Dario Cortese, who has a very good track record with transcriptions, so I'm optimistic about their accuracy. I'm about to dig into them now...

Overall, at first glance this looks like a very impressive release

3. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

I will note: this is not a guitar instructional DVD and isn't advertised as such. What I mean is that Brent is not teaching people how to play the guitar parts he's playing, there is no instruction in that regard. But being able to watch Brent play and then have every single guitar part tabbed out is invaluable (to me). So if you can work with Tabs there is a ton of stuff to learn...

He does give alot of insights on how he approaches playing in the studio

4. HC

HC Tele-Holic

Sounds great AJ, looking forwarding to a more in deep review! :D

5. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

I only use tabs when I can't visually brreak it down. Tabs are just too slow for me, or I shoukd say I'm too slow for tabs. I can work much faster if I can just see his hands good enough to approximate what he's doing, then let my ears take over.

Mostly it works well for me, but sometimes I have a tough time getting my hands to do what my ears are hearing-lol! Hell, or even what my eyes are seeing. One thing sure, is once you start playing Mason style, then switch over to another players style, it can be pretty interesting. Case in point: I've been mostly working on Mason style playing for the last year, almost exclusively. And, there are enough resources out there to keep my hands full as there are some pretty good interpreters around to learn from.

But i got this DVD from an LA studio guy named Cary Park the other day, who's just light years different in technique to Mason. It took me a few minutes to appreciate the guy's genius, but I still learn stuff wathcing him - alot of stuff, then pretty easily apply it. When I watch Park play it, it looks much harder than what I actually play Mason Style. Again, it's watchign a hybrid/flatpicker versus a straight fingerstyle w/thumb pick.

Just watching hybrid picking visually kind of screws me up at first, until I do a few licks, then I realize, they just make it looks so much harder to me. Its purely because thumbpick is just so much easier and fluid for me. Probably the way Mason's style looks to you hybrid pickers-lol!

6. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Yes there are a lot of Brent Mason inspired players but there is nothing quite like going straight to the source himself.

Brent has made enough recordings that one could spend the rest of their life studying his playing!

I've started working on the 2nd song on this DVD which is a Honky Tonk Country song that goes into a train beat chicken pickin thing for the Outro solo. Brent does 4 takes of solos on this song and it is fascinating to watch & hear him developing the ideas for the solo as he goes along. And ALL 4 TAKES are transcribed in tablature and notation.

I'll be really interested to hear what other people think of this DVD. I think Take 2 on the solo for the 2nd song is absolutely incredible and he just passes on it and does something else in Take 4 which is equally incredible but slightly different... its mind-blowing to watch him work, the level of creativity and timing is stunning

7. Rob Moody

Rob Moody Tele-Meister

Cannot wait for mine to arrive!!!

8. threadbare

threadbare Tele-Holic

This is a great dvd. I like seeing his gear. Does anyone know any details about that PRS barritone he plays. It says SE on the headstock. The only one I can find online is a Mike Mushok signature model, but it's not like the one Brent plays. Looks like Brent changed the neck pickup in his.

The tab is great. Looks like it's back to the woodshed for me!

9. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

What kind of studio and recording insights does he show on this DVD? That is what I'm mostly interested in.

10. JPW2105

JPW2105 Tele-Holic

I'm interested in the question Big_Bend asked as well... Can anyone give more details on it..?

11. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Tele-Afflicted

Not so much "studio and recording insights" as a look into the thought process he goes through to fill out a song. He spends a bit of time talking about the guitars, amps, and effects on this session. There are some interview bits where he talks about how he got into session work, who he watched and learned from, and how the process has changed.

It's almost as informative to watch Brent's face as he's laying down parts. You can see the wheels turning. He seems much more comfortable in this setting than in some other videos I've seen.

There are complete versions of the finished songs so you can hear the result, as well as guitarless backing tracks with vocals, and transcriptions.

I think it's well worth 40 bucks.

12. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

Are the backing tracks from this DVD any good?

I'm always on the lookout for decent backing tracks. Aebersolds are too jazzy (complex) for me , and the Internet stuff is just too modern.

13. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Hi Chabby
    Is the Cary Park you mention the former gtr player for Bow Howdy? I've been jamming with a guy that used to tour on keys with them.

14. Mark Moore

Any good? Seriously? They're the exact same tracks Brent is playing over, that he brought in, featuring his vocals.

Nah, they suck. :twisted:

15. JPW2105

JPW2105 Tele-Holic

OK, gave the DVD run through last night and here are my impressions of it.

First of all, I sat there and thought - Jeez, I'm going to get so bored of these songs if all we see is Brent tracking them. Then when he started on the second track it all clicked in my head and I realised that this is what I've been wishing for years, to be able to watch someone like him do it in a studio for real, not drop in stuff artificially, do proper takes, redo stuff he doesn't like, take different passes using different tones. It's great.

Plus, it is guitar p0rn. 100% guitar p0rn. He has some nice guitars, really nice guitars.

I think the word is fascinating really, The tab (excellently done my Dario Cortese) is very very usefull but what I found the most important is to be able to actually watch him do what he does - you can really see the cogs going round in his head, deciding on the fly what works and what doesn't, and then doing it again and adjusting accordingly.

It has given me a much broader understanding of how to construct a song either in a studio, or playing live. I don't really do any recording but I do a lot of live work where I have to work with random A.N.Other guitar player and the trick is to compliment what they are doing, this gave me so much to work on about layering guitar lines and how one line works with another.

I honestly don't think this DVD is for beginners at all, you need to be able to watch someone play and understand what they are doing (in so far as chord inversions and basic scale theory - you don't need to be at Brent's level you'll be pleased to know) because it's the watching, listening and understanding of what he is doing that is invaluable in this DVD. Tabs are great, but this isn't a copy the tabs kind of thing (although I must admit I've ripped a couple of licks from the tab already!!).

I would say that this is an invaluable DVD for people who like to build tracks, either live or in the studio, using more than one guitar.

16. Mark Moore

And the songs are pretty darn good, too.

17. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

Did the "Hot Licks" DVD come with a transcription/tab book?

18. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

mine did

19. Rob Moody

Rob Moody Tele-Meister

Got mine yesterday, really awesome stuff. Love the first track, no guitar hero stuff, just quality contempt country pop playing, i love it. So many guitars used on ONE track! Love the start tones, the DGT tones. Sensational dvd, but not one for lick nerds.

20. HC

HC Tele-Holic

I liked the dvd a lot too. Interesting to watch how he uses different guitars for different sounds and layers. And man, those are nice guitars! Also, there is some great playing going on and that is always fun. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.