New Brent Mason DVD.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JPW2105, Nov 1, 2011.

1. JPW2105

JPW2105 Tele-Holic

Saw this, looks like it will be interesting. Brent shows how he builds songs up in the studio, runs down equipment etc.

Website

2. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'll probably get it.

3. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

I bought his first one. I just kinda stood there with my mouth open , played a few more times and sold it. SICK playing, but he's not really a good teacher.

4. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

he's a terrible teacher, but I learn something almost every time I put his hot licks DVD in.
    Mainly though, I've learned more about what to learn from watching his Video.
    Like who he listened too, his influences etc., which are pretty much all the good Tele palyers from the Country/Jazz persuasion. I've learned why it was best for me to dump the flat pick entirely and go with a thumbpick, which was way more natural for me.

I've always struggled with the flat pick as I learned to play with no pick at all from early on. I've just now gotten to the point after a couple years whereI'm comfortable with this one brand of thumbpicks. I wouldn't use any pick at all, but it's almost impossible to get certain sounds on the bass strings without a pick of somekind. Could prolly do it if I ever grew my thumbnail long enough, but who wants to walk around with a witchy lookin thumbnail as a dude? Now if I could just quit ripping off my index and middle finger nail early, I'd have it made. But instead I use acrylic nails now, thanks to Mason's video.

5. Swampash&Tweed

Good on you. I never was able to get much from that Hot Licks Video. I'd wish he would slow down but he never did. Thats an interesting find you made about the Thumb picks. Did it really make that much of a difference? I might have to try that.........:idea:

6. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe he is not a good teacher but Sol Philcox seeems to be able to learn from him.

7. joel_ostrom

joel_ostrom Tele-Afflicted

the hot licks DVD's really are all about exactly what the title says. Licks.
    if you take the ideas they present and dissect them and analyze them then it can open up a whole bunch of doors you'd never even seen before.

After watching Brent's DVD a few times i'd find myself saying (many times over) "wow, i'd never thought of that before!".

I agree, he goes very fast and is hard to follow sometimes. I really enjoy the looping and slow-mo features on the DVD's. Makes it very easy to nail note-for-note the licks he uses.

8. Swampash&Tweed

Your a better man then me. Even Danny gatton slowed down a bit and explained what he was doing. I couldn't grasp a thing from Bret except that he is a bad ass guitar player.

9. ADinNYC

ADinNYC Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nice catch JPW...just ordered it. I'm a sucker and will pretty much buy anything he puts out.

I really like the Brent Mason GuitarStar that PG Music put out.

10. JPW2105

JPW2105 Tele-Holic

Me too, I've got that Guitar Star thing and it's very handy, there has been a teaser of the DVD released, in glorious HD. Looks handy for people wanting to see how he works in the studio, rather than take his style apart (which frustrated me hugely about the Hot Licks DVD, however, I still use a some of them.!).

I think I'm just going to get this just to drool over that gold top PRS, I know that's naughty in here, but just look at it... :D

11. HC

HC Tele-Holic

I'm really looking forward to this DVD! Gonna put it on the christmas list :D
    I think that his DVD's are more about giving you ideas about playing and what to play and not just the typical "here's lick number one..."

Really looking forward to hearing his thoughts on studiowork and seeing him in action on real life musical situations.

12. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

That looks great! Just ordered it and am really looking forward to it. Of course I'm such a big Brent Mason fan that I'd buy a DVD of him just sitting around without a guitar in his hand talking about fishing

13. Rob Moody

Rob Moody Tele-Meister

Brent was so much younger on that old Hot Licks video, he is so much more comfortable talking about gear and licks etc now, this new dvd will be brilliant.

14. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Yeah, for me the thumbpick was the way to go, if using a pick at all.
    But you gotta understand it's because I started out at 10 years old with a classical guitar and the 3 lessons I had in my entire life, were from a classical guru. Recovering from that took a long time-lol! But, from that point on I never had a pick around, so had to make due with my fingers.

In the meantime, I also still played acoustic guitar fingerstyle.

I never really got very good at hybrid picking, not fast enough anyway.
    It made more sense to me to free up the thumb. When I started focusing almost solely on electric Tele playing, it seemed stupid for me to re-learn flatpicking, when I already was decent fingerstyle. Rather, it was much easier to just add a thumbpick. makes it so much easier to claw and pick with your whole hand, instead of crippling two of them (thumb & index) holding onto a pick.

My hands aren't meat hooks like Gatton or Volkaert, so I get more strength using my whole hand as well.

15. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Brent's improved his sound and playing in those years too. At times he sounds almost a dead ringer for a pedal steel player on that Tele its so fluid.

16. joel_ostrom

I've only ever known hybrid picking with a flat-pick. I could never make the thumb pick work for me. It just felt too awkward.

17. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Has anyone received their DVD yet? I'm looking forward to this in the extreme but I don't want to get my hopes up too high... it does have the potential to be an extremely cool DVD though!

I received an email that mine shipped yesterday so I should have it by Monday or Tuesday hopefully

18. joel_ostrom

Got the e-mail that it shipped on Wednesday, but mine has to come all the way up here to Canada so i might be waiting until late next week.

I'm looking forward to it. I think its gonna be a really cool DVD with a lot of cool insight into the life of a studio musician.

19. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

This part really intrigues me: "Note-for-Note: All guitar parts transcribed & downloadable via .PDF file."

Again, I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, but accurate & entire tablature transcripions of Brent Mason solos on DVD? That would be so cool

20. Rob Moody

Rob Moody Tele-Meister

Yep mine is shipped too, can't wait!!!! Hanging to see Brent using a DGT, I love mine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.