New Boss: "Waza Craft"

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by SynMike, Jul 15, 2014.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

So Waza Craft means "Craft Craft".

2. Tritone

Tritone TDPRI Member

My dictionary defines it as "technique, art, skill."

Attached Files:

3. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

The big turnoff for me is that toggle poking out of the middle.

IMO, part of the reason why the Boss 3-knobbers are so popular is because they are 3-knobbers!

And Boss did a bunch of 4-knob thingies in the 80's and 90's, with most being obviously far less popular. The one thing about MANY of those that I PREFER is the 4th knob is oftentimes a ROTARY SWITCH. I have always loved that Boss avoided the toggle thing, but I guess they did a marketing study that told them to follow the rest of the chuckwagon...

...And that toggle just looks 'stupid weird' on a SD-1 IMO. The BD-2 is just barely new enough (respectively) that a toggle looks kind of...normal. It's kind of funny though - a blues pedal with two modes? Would that be smoove bluze and mo' bluze?

At least they kept the treadle and most other parts in a form that we all recognize.

As to the buffer thing - Boss could actually just opt for relay true bypass if they wanted. You've got that with the Digitech Hardwire and WHE stuff already, so it's "mass production friendly at a price point that won't make you scream..." :lol:

4. 11 Gauge

I just sprayed my soda all over the monitor!

I didn't even bother to listen to the videos - I just had a feeling from the still images that they were going for visual at least equal to audio, maybe even moreso.

If you want to sell a product by showing it on a screen, the visual part (sadly) is going to be emphasized more - the audio parts (IMO) will be more 'suggestive and supportive,' much like the soundtrack to a movie.

Well, this is what people have been saying that Boss should be doing (sort of), right? :?::confused:

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like the toggle switches. I like that they are recessed. As if to acknowledge that they will not be adjusted on the fly.

6. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

To my old ears on my old computer, the new, improved BD-2W sounds just like the old, unimproved BD-2.

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I thought both modes on both the SD-1 and the BD-2 sounded like the old, unimproved SD-1. Might be my computer speakers.

8. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

Sweetwater has the DM2 for $199. Guess Boss wants to capture their piece of the overpriced pedal market.

9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

^ I don't even think I heard enough to agree or disagree with you, Joe N!

Old fart alert: The video (really just a style/fashion piece, not a demo), shows just a snippet sample of sound, and IMO, it just sounded like what you can get with an LP+ any OD @ low Gain- WTF?! Boss must just be going after sheep with no ears, and I love old Boss pedals...

Maybe it's just for a new/younger market, but it seems that between these 'new-old' pedals and the recently released supercharged (or whatever they are called) SD-1 and DS-1 (right?) with added knobs/features, Boss has now made good-sounding, easy-to-use pedals complicated. Plus hard to describe in print as well, as now every dirt pedal they make can do anything...

sidebar: GP magazine recently did reviews of the new DS-1 and SD-1 that described so many confusing tonal options/jargon (in terms of distortion/tone) that the review made no sense, other than "buy it!"(basically an AD)

10. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

A generic tone described with generic words. We are indeed sheep if we fall for this crap.

11. kend

kend Tele-Meister

Laughable "demo" really, I think they can do better than that.
    Still... I do find the new pedals and Blues Cube intriguing.

It will be interesting to read what 11 Gauge or others say about the internals, and how they compare with other pedals out there...

12. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

I'm not impressed with what little I heard and have seen.

I'm glad I got my DM-2 and for such a steal. One of the biggest important pedals to me. If I wanted a modern version, I'd leap straight for the Aqua Puss.

13. 11 Gauge

I would honestly expect to find any changes to be very much on the conservative side, or at least switched in a way to allow you to completely bypass them and get the original sound.

...They may have even worked something out to minimize retooling, and might be using the "non-W" pcbs! I realized this was a possibility when I saw the recessed toggle - pedals like the BD-2 have those "extra mini" pots that are mounted to a little piece of "daughterboard." Point being that other assemblies besides pots and toggles can be put on that stuff - the TS7 has a bit of the "output circuitry" mounted on a daughterboard that fits around the output jack!

And - Boss has probably seen a bazillion pics of all of these modded pedals drilled for toggles and stuff, and the wire has to be fed around the interior of the pedal, and there's usually some heat shrink tubing, cable ties, etc. So while it's possible to make that stuff reliable, implementing it as a factory process - with the super mini pots, board mounted toggles, and things like the ribbon cables that you'll find in the BD-2 - they all make for (IMO) a more sturdy way to go.

...They can take the same old enclosures and simply pass them thru an extra milling process to carve out the little slot for the toggle. If anything, factory workers will probably find it easier to put the pot assembly like is found in the BD-2 in the SD-1 and whatever else Boss "goes W with"... :lol:

Probably what has me most curious is if this 'new' SD-1 will NOT have a SMT construction pcb. It's one of the few in the Boss line that really hasn't changed in any significant way over the years. While it's irrational, I'd like to see them leave the SD-1 and DS-1 as-is for as long as possible. The old thru-hole boards have already been RoHS compliant for a good many years as it is.

But I have to admit that I am curious as to what Boss did or didn't do. It seems that any smart company will take a product with a good track record and offer some tweaked or special edition variant.

Has anyone seen closeups of the jacks and such? I'm hoping that Boss didn't go with the "hollow stud types" that are even now found on $200+ 'boutique' pedals. :eek: It would also be telling IMO if the SD-1 and BD-2 now both had the same DC jack on the back - the boxes required different milling because the BD-2 has a 'poke thru' jack, while the SD-1 had a "slide on a groove' jack. I guess I'm just hoping (as irrational as it might be) that Boss didn't change anything structurally more than they had to.

14. 11 Gauge

Something else dawned on me.

Boss probably has a multi-pronged mission going on here.

The OD-1X and DS-1X made their debut at NAMM '14 winter, right? And Boss was careful to market them as being "not COSM," but something they refer to as "MDP," probably hoping to get some distance from any phrase that sounds "too digital," especially for dirt boxes.

Well...it's my best guess that Boss was hoping for a big draw with those "MDP pedals" back in the winter, and I'm sure there are legions of users who are either completely sold on them, or at least don't find much to gripe about.

Anyway - this looks to be "prong two." These pedals are staying analog, and one of the two modes seems to be bone-stock. I think the BD-2W also has "discrete" as a buzzword with its design? That's kind of funny as even the non-W BD-2 is mostly discrete (e.g. individual transistors as opposed to ICs and chips), but it does have an op amp for an active bass boost on its output. ;) But kudos to Boss for basically playing up an aspect of that pedal that makes it a bit different from many other ODs produced at such high numbers. The OD-3 has a similar circuit basis, and I think Boss was extremely clever with that design, more than any other drive box they've made to date (IMO).

I wouldn't be surprised if these pedals get a lot more traction in the form of massive sales than the X-series stuff has. And - Boss may have another prong or two to reveal in '14...

15. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Weren't the original DM-2 and DM-3's bucket-brigade chips discontinued? I always thought that was the reason they were never re-issued and that the vintage pedals are held in such high esteem.

16. karpis

karpis Tele-Holic

It is so typical of them. Show some shredder and blow some paradigm shifting marketing bubbles. I hope boss will see new MXR demos and make right conclusions. Nethertheless waiting for demos from independent sources:cool:

17. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

BOSS Pedals Waza Craft Series Demo - Sweetwater's…:

18. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

The white Waza text is looking more naff by the minute.

19. 11 Gauge

There's so much stuff that's been obsoleted with some pedals - and it's not just analog chips - that this kind of thing always sparks a bit of 'talk.'

Beyond possibly being an obsolete part, there's also sometimes the issue of it being non-RoHS, or even possibly 'something else' - could be too costly if the vender cuts production and raises the per unit cost. I'm not saying that's the case here, but just look at the changes with op amps in the DS-1 over the years. In one instance, it required re-tooling the pcb to go from a 7 pin chip to an 8 pin chip. :eek:

Well, EHX, Ibanez and others will continue marching on with substitute BBDs, so I guess Boss felt inclined to do the same. I'd have to say that if the delay times are kept shorter that it makes it easier to sub in the 'inferior' chips, although others would no doubt disagree.

...While it is not considered a 'grail delay' by any stretch, the BBE Two Timer is modeled after the DM-2. It sounds GREAT, especially with the two settings and low price.

What is the Aqua Puss using? That's another DM-2 variant, the price is on the low side, and they're making (and selling) a bazillion of those.

It might be as simple as Boss grabbing their current BBD of choice from the same source(s) as Dunlop/MXR/WHE, EHX, Ibanez, BBE, and any other company who produces pedals in equally as high of numbers.

I guess that as long as a new DM-2 doesn't have a $400 price tag that potential customers won't complain. That said, if there's ultimately the (IMO worthless) A/B'ing w/the originals, it will likely be another case of a conclusion of "inferior RIs."

I also just checked the marketing verbiage and noted that Boss seems to be putting more weight on the "custom mode" - longer delay times that "sound more clear," and the ability to self-oscillate. There's also an option for an expression pedal, I think. So the BBD's 'inferiority' might be a moot point, at least at this price point.

The marketing verbiage for the BD-2 and SD-1 Waza's is similar - SD-1 looks like it gets different clipping diodes and something like the "2X gain mod" in "custom mode," and the BD-2 also is claimed as having more gain and bass. Why the BD-2 would need more of either is downright curious to me, but it's marketing more than anything.

...It's also relevant that it's no doubt a heavy dose of marketing, because there's verbiage of "cleaning up" something with the SD-1, and they mention reducing the noise? :confused: It's an iconic sound that IMO doesn't need cleaning up, and it's got to be one of the lowest noise drive boxes out there. :eek:

20. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I guess a factory modded OD might appeal to some buyers. Seems like an ever-growing portion of the industry is now churning out tweaked versions of existing designs. Makes sense for Boss to jump on the bandwagon.

Regarding the DM-2, I'm already kind of wishing Boss would have called it something else. Unless it's a dead-nuts reproduction, naming it after what many consider to be a grail pedal seems like a pretty cynical move. Like .011 says, we already have a number of DM-2 inspired pedals to choose from. Even Mooer makes one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.