New Boss GT-1000 CORE. Helix Stomp Alternative.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Thin white duke, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

Not bad....

2. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Whew. Not bad at all

3. Thin white duke

Yes, in this other video they compare it with the Helix Stomp, it looks like it's more powerful, no DSP problems...

4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

It makes perfect sense from a product line standpoint.
    It's not my cup of tea but neither are any of the Helix products.
    I don't really see much difference between the Helix, Boss etc tones produced in the demos which all seem the same.
    I'm sitting out on modeling until it improves and is somewhat more streamlined. I would love one that was just amps, cabs and reverb similar to the Iridium.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  5. Thin white duke

I understand you, i use the Joyo American Sound and a Mooer DI with cab simulation for playing straight into P.A.
    I only have one clean Fender style sound and it's enough.
    I do have the Boss Ms 3 for the effects and i really love it but when it comes to modelling amps i prefer the way i do it, just one simulation and i'm off....

rangercaster and lefty73 like this.
  6. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Interesting, and good to know more options are out there. Seems a bit late to the market, and Boss' amp modeling doesn't seem to have the mojo around it that other companies enjoy. My view, anyway.

On the flip side, option paralysis abounds with these types of devices. I'm a simple man. Joyo American Sound user, it's parked in an effects loop on my Line 6 HX Effects, the output from which goes into a Joyo Cab Box into my interface, PA, or effects loop return of any amp.

Digital Larry likes this.
  7. Thin white duke

This is true, i have the same impression.
    I totally understand, i do the same more or less, nobody needs 150 amp. simultions. ;);)

8. dreamingtele

i think its great.

a lot of people is going modelling, and this is another option. Its kind of a Catch-22 now I think, Helix seems to be the best option because Helix seems to be what people use. At least now, if they do venture out of the Helix, they have another Modelling box in the same small footprint.

it’s cheaper than getting all 500-series pedals and more powerful. I already have the DD-500 and the RV-500, and I can clearly understand where Boss is going with their products.

a lot of people are also a bit traditional, and only want one type of sound and ease of use without menu diving. I guess this isnt for them, i used to be in that camp until I got my 500-series pedals and found that I can muster even more great delays and verbs using the editor and creating patches and all on the computer. Time consuming? Yeah, a bit, but I never had to sit down for hours, like people seem to be so scared about, maybe 10-15mins max to edit/create 2-3 delay or verb preset that I can use.

the thing is, if you want one type of tone, this can do it, if you want plenty of amps to use, this can do it. We all sit down and tweak our tube amps and pedals’ knobs and settings anyway, so really, I dont understand the hate/fear for these powerful products.

9. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

This is a nice bit of kit. Boss never gets the credit they deserve - which means you'll be able to get one of these used for 350 bucks in a few months.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  10. Thin white duke

You need to spend a bit of time with these machines but once you've got it thay are great, i use effects a lot with some of the projects that i'm in, i could never live without presets so i need multieffects along with some pedals (always less to be honest).

Also today you can use most of the multieffects in pedal mode or preset mod so you have both options and i love this thing.

What i don't feel the need to have is many amps. and cabs. simultions since i've always used one clean amp for all my life, but i can understand that it can be a plus for selling them better.

It looks like this Boss doesn't have as much simulations as the Line 6 but to me it can only be a good thing.

11. dreamingtele

i can understand what your point is, and I do agree! I’m sure someone will be able to use this to it’s full potential and be able to muster great sounds too. If the amps models also have in-depth tweakability (ability to choose what tube emulation, sag, etc etc) even if they just put in, lets say, 6-8 amp models, it could be even better, but I highly doubt it is that tweakable.

i guess the feature attraction is the powerful processor. 24 blocks (effects), dual amps, and if they put the in-depth capabilities of the 500-series pedals in this thing, then this could be their game changer.

12. Thin white duke

Yes, this thing is great, also a friend of mine that has the Helix Stomp tells me that when in preset mode there is an annoying latency in changing bank, maybe is because there are too many things inside and the processor is not as powerful, i don't know.......

13. Thin white duke

True, Boss never gets the credit they deserve, they invented so many pedals that now are sought after...

artdecade likes this.
  14. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

The thing with this one, is that it follows the larger GT-1000 unit to a tee, all sounds are available, the same amount of blocks, used simultaneosly. The larger Helix and Helix Stomp still differs a lot (and too much IMHO).

The thing is that people are hung up with comparing this to the Helix Stomp. But AFAIK the modelling amps of CORE (and the larger GTK) are narrowed down to 3-4 different models, and as such, when removing all effects, it should be compared to the Strymon Iridium instead, because that one has only 3-4 modelled amps as well. Granted the price difference is not without consideration, but think of it.

There should be made a comparison video, on YT from, and independent source, that turned off all effects on the CORE and kept only the IRs and amps active, and then do an amp comparison to the Strymon Iridium instead. Now, BOSS aren't known for intiutive GUI and can be frustrating, as opposed to Iridium which is as simple and clear as it can be. Not too many rabbit holes there to dive deep in.

Now after they made those comparisons, with just IR's, and just amp models between CORE/Iridium, and made a verdict, then switch on all the effects too, on the Core and then do the price difference between them. I have my suspicion which one will blow the other out of the water. Play circles around it.

That said, I think the CORE is more a contender for those thinking about an Iridium. The small footprint and more effects may trump the Iridium, price difference notwithstanding. And of course, the subsequent upgrades of new effects, or different algorithms possible in the CORE as well as the larger GTK.

15. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

Yes, and not this years Black Friday, but maybe next years...a new one, that is.

artdecade likes this.
  16. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Idk I've got a $200 Boss ME25, and a $300 Fender Superchamp. That's still less than the Core.

How many ways do need to do 'Metal'.

Nice bit of machinery tho.

17. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Has anyone had a chance to play both the HX Stomp and the GT 1000? (Core or otherwise?) I am really interested in honest impressions of how the two compare, in terms of amp simulation quality and effects quality.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.