New book on Jimmy Wilsey out next month.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
I love that album of his. I have it on rotation in the car. I don't really know much about him personally so the book might be an interesting if it tragic read.

I wonder what Joel D Terry would have made of it.

I wonder if Joel is in it. They had an interesting friendship.

VWAmTele

Friend of Leo's
"El Dorado" will always be in my play rotation.

1650768050525.png

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
I had no idea he had passed away, and I'm so sorry to hear this. I remember him popping into threads and helping folks learn how to play some of his songs, in fact that's even mentioned in this Rolling Stone article. RIP

Informal

Tele-Afflicted
I met him on another Fender Forum, talked in PM's for a bit, then on the phone a few times, I was star-struck, and he was just a kind, humble human being... He asked about my life, background etc... Which tells you the type of guy he was... I just wanted to talk about him, and his experiences.

He never griped or bitched about anything, I would have bent over backwards to help him if possible, even though I never met him in person.

Probably the most choked up I'd ever been, upon hearing of his passing, for someone I never even got to meet personally.

HoodieMcFoodie

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I wonder if Joel is in it. They had an interesting friendship.

The reason I mentioned it is because Joel was quite upset when James passed away and was vehemently denying the manner of his passing or at least the circumstances surrounding it and the character of person who reported it. However since both James and Joel are both no longer with us it's a moot point.

CancerLeoCam

Friend of Leo's
It's a tough story. I have listened to some of the podcasts lately and its sad. BTW, I wish I had met up with you Skully when you were up at Jimmy's place with Joel. I'm sure it would have been fun. D

teleplayr

Friend of Leo's
I met him on another Fender Forum, talked in PM's for a bit, then on the phone a few times, I was star-struck, and he was just a kind, humble human being... He asked about my life, background etc... Which tells you the type of guy he was... I just wanted to talk about him, and his experiences.

He never griped or bitched about anything, I would have bent over backwards to help him if possible, even though I never met him in person.

Probably the most choked up I'd ever been, upon hearing of his passing, for someone I never even got to meet personally.

He was a member of the "FDP" (Fender Discussion Page) when it existed and posted there quite a lot.

Peegoo & I were both members there years ago.

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
He was a member of the "FDP" (Fender Discussion Page) when it existed and posted there quite a lot.

Yeah I was a member from nearly the beginning.
I PM'd him about him living briefly in logansport, Indiana and he was very nice and forthcoming.

r.i.p.

Informal

Tele-Afflicted

Yep I remember Peegoo, and probably you as well.....Peegoo sinks into your memory a little deeper, than "teleplayr" I suppose :p

IIRC, my handle on the FDP, was the same as I use now.... That midget on a power trip, built something awesome with that site... Then let his ego destroy it.

In spite of contributing several 100's of $$, he banned me the second I disagreed with him.

Quite the business model.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member

I can relate to this.

Way back in the heyday of MySpace, he friended me based on one of my pics. I was standing in front of a big flying W banner. He wanted to know where the pic was taken. When I told him it was at Jigger Bridges’ recording studio, and was one of Waylon’s original stage banners he went pretty nuts and wanted to know all about it.

Back in those days I had gotten recruited for a project called Spirit of the Outlaws, in which many of the guys who played and recorded with Waylon, went out and did shows as a backup band for unknown/unsigned singer-songwriters. Jimmy wanted all the details.

We messaged several times, and then spoke on the phone quite a bit. The Waylon thing really tripped him out. Even though Hoss had already passed at that point, and I never got to meet him, and certainly never played with him, it fascinated Jimmy that I had gotten to work with folks like Jigger, Richie Albright, Fred Newell, Eugene Moles, the Robertsons, etc. We talked about it a LOT. As well as eventually our kids, lives, etc.

Then we didn’t. I got busy, figured he was as well, and before I knew it, time had flown and a lot of it had passed. Then I heard that he passed away. It made me incredibly sad. Even though I never got to meet him in person or hang out or anything, I definitely came to think of him a a friend.

I’ll have to read the book. I really enjoyed his work with Chris, and that’s what introduced me to his playing. I have to confess though that aside from that, I really don’t know that much about his work. When we’d message or chat he’d reference other bands and gigs, but I have never gotten around to looking most of them up. I’d sure like another chance to talk to him, though. He was very kind to me.

standup

Tele-Meister
I picked the dugital El Dorado and have the book on my coffee table.

tcadam

Tele-Afflicted
My only interaction with him was when I bought one of his autographed copies of "El Dorado" to benefit TDPRI many years ago. I'll wait to hear the reviews of those who actually knew him before I decide to purchase the book.

teleplayr

Friend of Leo's
Yep I remember Peegoo, and probably you as well.....Peegoo sinks into your memory a little deeper, than "teleplayr" I suppose :p

IIRC, my handle on the FDP, was the same as I use now.... That midget on a power trip, built something awesome with that site... Then let his ego destroy it.

In spite of contributing several 100's of $$, he banned me the second I disagreed with him.

Quite the business model.

He was quite the ego maniac. I had read posts before from people that had been banned for disagreeing with him.

His greed was his downfall.

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
He was quite the ego maniac. I had read posts before from people that had been banned for disagreeing with him.
Sounds just like this place for a good number of years, actually. I wouldn't be too hard on the FDP, in that respect.