1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

new body = pickup squeal?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by HBamps, Dec 22, 2009.

1. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

A few months back a switched out bodies from an alder Highway 1 to a light weight ash from Mark Jenny. I used the same components on both. I just switched bodies.

The issue I am having is that I am getting a lot more squeal from the pickups (mostly bridge) with the ash body. Does that make any sense? One thing I noticed is that the brass plate of the bridge pup rubs on the pickup route wall on the ash body. Like it was machined a little off spec. Could that contribute to more micro-phonics? Has anyone had a similar experience?

While the ash definitely has a different character than the alder HWY-1 and looks much better, I am not sure which I like the sound of better. The HWY-1 body had an evenness to it that just worked.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I would want to assure that the pickup's plate did not touch the wood. Also, somtimes the bridge plate doesn't mate with the top evenly, and this can cause the problem you are having. ?Double stick carpet tape? on the underside of the bridgeplate maybe. I have even heard of people putting a screw through the bridgeplate in the forward treble corner into the body to solidify the mating of the plate to the body.

3. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Tele-Afflicted

"bridge plate doesn't mate with the top evenly"

That was exactly my first thought.

4. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

Thanks for the responses. I got one of those reliced (scratched & DENTED) bodies from MJ tele and to be honest, I don't know how flat the top is. I am gonna pull the plate and sand it tomorrow.

I am also going to stuff some foam into the pickup cavity.

As far as the pickup baseplate touching the cavity wall, I do not know how to remedy.

5. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Check baseplate is completely tight and adhered to the bobbin. Try to pry it off with a razor blade, see if it separates easy, do not force it off.

As said, make sure the bobbin is not touching wood. Also the a screw not touching the bottom of the route, or a wire is between a screw and the bottom of the route, the screw possibly pressing the wire between the end of itself and the bottom of the route. If you used a little grounding tab between the plate and a spring, make sure it is not turned and touching the side of the route.
    Try surgical tubing instead of steel springs as well.

Put something under the edge of the guard and over the edge of the plate as a temporary measure and tighten the guard down so it presses the edge of the plate, see if it quits. If you are not adverse to drilling and putting 2 extra little screws at the non saddle edge of the plate, this can fix a plate flapping and resonating.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Robert covers the bases there. Good heads up on the baseplate on the pup.

7. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

I have diagnosed this with business cards - if I can slide one under the bridge plate, it's too much. But if the card is tightly wedged it might stop the squealing, and tells you what to do next (fix the bridge plate).

8. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Good advice and all bases are covered, except maybe.....

...check if the wood of the body is made out of mandrake roots!

watch this:
    http://www.evtv1.com/player.aspx?itemnum=10380
    :lol:

sorry for being silly, but that's from watching too much christmas-tv, I guess.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.