1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New board setup for tonite...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jakedog, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Rehearsal this evening. Decided to try a new setup. I’ve been using my Supro Blues King 12 for the last couple get togethers. I’ve been sticking my ME80 in front of it, for simplicity’s sake. Just toss it on the floor and you’ve got everything you could possibly need. But I grabbed my little board and threw this together cause I was bored this afternoon.

6B7BCEE1-1004-42CD-B0E5-5B643E908E1F.jpeg

Removed the overdrive and reverb. I’m gonna see if I can get by with the onboard reverb and OD. Using the built in boost, along with the Spark gives me a pair of boosts. The onboard boost seems to be a bit colored. It adds low mids and a kind of fatness. The Spark is more transparent.

I’ll be using my comp for the red dirt/Texas country styled stuff. I like this EHX comp a lot better than the one built into the ME80 or my Nova System.

And last but not least, my trusty Phase 95. We have like two songs on an entire list of over 160 that I actually use it for. But I like it.

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

That could possibly be the most mild “tonal wise” pedal board ever

Jakedog likes this.
  3. Jakedog

Lol! I don’t ever use effects as big tone changers. If I needed that I’d just buy a different amp or guitar that I liked the sound of. 99% of what I need is just various levels of volume and gain.

4. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Less is more!

johnnylaw, Jakedog and Mark617 like this.
  5. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic

Absolutely agree with that in regard to the BK12. The board looks good! Is it hard to engage the Supro Boost switch, with it being in back? They make oversized transparent buttons that fit over standard switch buttons and that might be a good candidate!

Jakedog likes this.
  6. Jakedog

It’s not hard, but it’s not really an issue anyhow. I leave it on 99.9% of the time. That’s kinda why I oriented the switch that way.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  7. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I gig with the same size board. Presently, its tuner-fuzz-compressor-dirt-reverb-amp. The first three are run not too gainy, to cut without getting too grainy, grindy, or compressed; more like stacked boosts of slightly different colors. This way, the tone of the guitar chosen projects its character honestly.
    Great for the rootsy vibe stuff we do.
    Easy on the set-up and lugging.
    No roadies, no groupies...
    Wait, why are we here?

Jakedog likes this.
  8. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

How do you decide the order in which you place the effects? I vaguely remember in early 80s for frat house gigs I had a cry baby, distortion+, univox phaser and a Morley volume pedal. Connected them with what cords I had and laid them out/scattered on the floor. My problem was that if I mixed up the order from guitar to my sometimes trusty '60s Ampeg Jet, the rig would howl and scram like a really pizzed off dis-respected Banshee. I'm pretty sure it was the order of wah, distortion+ and the phaser.
    As of late I've been picking up a few pedals hear n' there and wondered if there are any hard fast no no's.

Jakedog likes this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I just bought a new pedal the size of that board!
    (Bogner ecstasy blue, the older two button version)
    Next week running to the city for supplies, have to see if the GC has a Blues King on the floor.
    How’s the clean sound and volume?

Jakedog and gregulator450 like this.
  10. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

What happened to your TC Electronic multi unit?

Jakedog likes this.
  11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'll be honest, I clicked expecting either a Helix or at least a Line 6 POD Go ;)

Jakedog likes this.
  12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I was recently eyeing the tech 21 fly rigs on the used market, around $150.
    Yawn.

Jakedog went back to toobs!
    It’s party time!

Jakedog and BorderRadio like this.
  13. Jakedog

I still have my DV SS amp. We’ll see how things pan out. As I said when I went SS last time, never say never!

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. Jakedog

I still have it. And the ME80.

15. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

They had an “overstock sale” on the Greg Howe little 250 (the blue one, non-tube) a couple days ago on MF. $279. It’ll be here Friday;).

Jakedog likes this.
  16. Jakedog

Pedal order is a huge thing. There are do’s and don’ts. Mostly based around how things work together.

The easiest way to figure out what to do is to ask yourself what you’re trying to accomplish. For instance if you have a distortion, and a delay, do you want to add delay to your distorted tone? Or do you want to distort your delay? Most people wish to delay their distorted tone. They want to figure out a great lead sound, then add delay. Which is why people who use channel switching amps for clean/dirty sounds will tel you to always put time based effects (delays and reverbs) in the effects loop, not in front of the amp. This way, they come after the preamp distortion.

My general rule, after over 30 years of trial and error is-

For running into the front of the amp:

Tuner- wah- (these can be reversed for convenience, it doesn’t really matter, as long as if you put the wah first, you aren’t trying to tune with your wah turned on) - Comp or boost- overdrives- distortions- boost or eq- modulation (chorus, flange, phase, tremolo, etc)- time based.

If using an effects loop-

Tuner, wah, (either way), comp or boost, overdrive, distortion, into the front of the amp. Modulation and time based effects in the loop. Time based always last.

This is what works best for me. It’s not a hard and fast rule. Sometimes you can discover happy accidents, or crazy sounds you really dig, by doing weird crap like plugging into a chorus, into a delay, and then into a fuzz, or something. But for conventional tones, this is what I have found works best.

Edit: if using a volume pedal, I like to put it after all drives and boost, and before the modulation and time effects. This way, I can turn down the volume without losing gain/distortion in my drive sounds.

17. Jakedog

Nice!! I’ve been very curious about that head. Please post a full review after you’ve been able to hammer on it a bit.

18. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

I will. I have the micro 50M and a couple of their cabs so I know I’m going to dig it.

Jakedog likes this.
  19. Jakedog

It kinda depends on how you play. For home? I can’t imagine it not being more than enough for pretty much anybody.

For band use? It’s really pushing it. I’d say the Blues JR is probably a little louder overall. This amp sounds light years better. To me. Clean headroom is probably comparable.

For a small, very shallow cab it has none of that small amp, boxy, honk sound.

I would say it’s not as scooped as a typical BF or SF Fender sound. More mid forward, but not as much as a typical boogie or Marshall. It’s got it’s own thing going on. It’s not a Fender, Vox, or Marshall voicing. If I had to compare it to anything, I’d say it’s definitely more of a 50’s sound. But smoother and tighter than most people think of say, a tweed Deluxe. Definitely unique.

Edit: On the chance you haven’t looked it up yet- it’s a true class A single ended design. So no negative feedback loop, EXTREMELY touch sensitive. I don’t think I’ve ever had a real class A single ended amp before. I’m really digging it. I just wish there were a way to get one that’s say... double this wattage. But I don’t think that’s doable with a single ended design...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    telemnemonics likes this.
  20. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Pretty much same here, except the phaser. I treat it like a filter and put it up front with wahs and auto-wahs/envelope filters. To my ears (a very limited sample size, obviously) phasers just sound better before OD/Dist.

Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.