New BMW motorcycle

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Colo Springs E, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

That is a sweet bike indeed! 18k though.......

tery likes this.
  2. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

I think you mentioned this once before, and I wondered why you would want to put a 1/2"bolt on metric bike. And if you really needed a 1/2" bolt, why wouldn't you just get one at a hardware store.

3. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Pipes remind me of the fish tail designs. I like that- reminds me of the Velocette I was running, in '75.

Colo Springs E likes this.
  4. Wallo Tweed

Duplicate.

5. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

IMG_20200406_102313457.jpg
    I did go-to the hardware store AFTER the local moron in the bike shop didn't want my business....like I said, I like supporting local bike shops. (They went out of business 6 months later) As for the half inch bolt it fit the bracket hole that is bolted to the head with the head bolts. Hope this helps. Oh and good memory wallo!
    Cheers

6. Wallo Tweed

[QUOTE="ce24, post: 9743918, member:
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers[/QUOTE]
    Not really.
    Just seems like you went out of your way to be annoyed.
    But I can fagetaboutit if you can.:)

7. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

The fact that the shaft drive is open invites trouble.
    That exhaust is how shall I say it - NEIN!!! NEIN!!!
    The seat is cool but the up hill assist...?

I think I’m too old at 65 to get back into it - because why fellas?
    Breakin’ bones at my age...not too smart.

8. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

Nah.

Not a fan of cruisers for a start and as far as build quality or reliability goes BMW trade on past glories. I used to own an R90S,that era was about the last well built Beemers. Not many parts of the bikes are built in Germany.

9. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

If I was shopping for a new bike in the $18,000 range, I'd probably trip and break a leg climbing over the R18 to get to the 2020 Triumph Rocket III asap.

Nothing against the BMW, mind you, but that 2.5 liter Triumph triple is something to behold, and quite 'peppy' from what I hear on the street.

I already have a couple of 'relaxed performance' machines to plod around on.

Colo Springs E likes this.
  10. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

The standard one (first photo) is around 18K, out the door.

The "Bobber style" ( 2nd photo), is $19,800 +... and if you want to change the pipes, better add another 2K. :eek:

tery likes this.
  11. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

If I wanted that kind of bike, a Bonneville would meet my needs a lot better.

-and the price difference is huge.

tery likes this.
  12. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic

As the economy collapses, new prices will drop significantly. Moreover, rarely used bikes and watercraft will flood the market. Give it another month or two.

13. Violeiro

Violeiro TDPRI Member

Really nice... It would be cool if the make a relic version

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

14. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

More like "week or two." Craigslist will bear me out.

15. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

It's better than this BMW, which is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen...

2000-BMW-R1200Ca-small.jpg

SuprHtr likes this.
  16. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

My first bike was a BMW ('66 R69S). Then it was on to mostly moto guzzis. I've always wanted to try another BMW, but that's not so likely now. I've found less appeal in BMWs as the years go by ... in the pricing, the high tech factor, the whole vibe of the brand.

17. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

That is not an attractive bike, but.....
    I have a feeling its a nice ride.

Unless you are the passenger on that pathetic pillion.....:eek:

18. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I thought some of those R1200C's were ok looking, depending on their paint finish, and whether or not it had the saddlebags to cover it's nasty rear end.

My biggest gripe about those R1200C's was that in order to make it as cruiser-like as they could as far as engine performance went, they took a very nice, and hardly overpowered as it was, boxer engine and gutted it from about 85 hp down to a 61 hp 'cruiser motor', pushing around a 600 pound bike, mind you, so that it more resembled you-know-who's big ol V-twin in character and performance. As a result, it sold in the US about as well as icecubes in Antarctica.

19. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Very sleek looking bike. One of the prettiest BMW's for sure. Never a fan of the torque from a drive shaft on a bike. Had a R75 for a bit and a Yamaha 750 with shafts and just didn't like them coming out of corners. Just me and not having one long enough to get used to it.

20. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Maybe ten years ago there were two motorcycle shops in town. A Harley shop, an a multi-line Japanese shop. They were both owned by the same family.

I've had Ducati's pretty much exclusively for the past 30 years now. I had a lot of them back then including a few projects. I would go to the Japanese shop and ask for a generic part, like a turn signal relay, and they would inevitably ask me what it was for. I'd tell them it didn't matter, I just needed some sort of flasher relay. Nope. No model and year means no part number and they couldn't get anything with no part number. So I'd tell them it's a for a 1974 Ducati. I may as well have told them it was for a space shuttle. No can do, nothing they have will fit, etc. So I said it was for a 1995 ZX-7. Nope, at this point I was an idiot and wasn't getting anything from him.

Alrighty then. So I went into the Harley dealer the next time I neeed something generic. First thing was a battery. They asked what it was for and I told them it was a '91 Ducati but I thought it was the same size as certain Softails. Three people got into looking for the correct battery. Another time I went in looking for an aluminum washer while doing a fork rebuild. Same story. "It's a for a '74 Ducati? Cool! I'm sure we'll have something that will work". Follow that with about ten minutes of searching through parts lists, not to find something that would work, but to find what would work the best out of the choices I had.

So yeah, long story extended... in 30 years of riding Ducatis I've found Harley shops/riders to be more accepting than Japanese bike shops. It's not a universal thing, I've had a few Harley riders be total dicks too, but for the most part my experience with them has been pretty good.

As for the BMW, $18k isn't all that expensive for a bike these days but no, that one isn't my type of bike. Looks a mile long and yeah, that exhaust looks horrific.

Wallo Tweed and ce24 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.