New BMW motorcycle

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Colo Springs E, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I had a 1957 R69S in the 70s. Every day transportation. It had 125,000 miles on it and was running strong. No problem with parts at the dealership.

2. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

It's beautiful.

But I'm sticking with my Triumph Bonneville.

3. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Not a fan of the muffler but overall I like it. Reminds of the HD Softail Slim. On the cost, that's where I prefer something like my Indian Scout which is around 11k new. Apples and Oranges though really though the styling is similar. My Scout is a smaller bike, but is lighter and has just about the same HP stock. My stock suspension is yuck though, BMW is typically the most well made mfg with generally top shelf components right off the Showroom floor.

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Beautiful bike.

Pricing ? No idea.

My multi-bike owning buddy however, says that if he strung together all the dentist/doctor/lawyer owned Harley’s currently on the used market they’d stretch to the moon and back .

Right before the current situation he sold a 1950 BMW R51 that was restored but he was afraid to ride because it was show-quality.

Now he’s thinking of using some of that dough to buy one of those used hogs - just because he’s never owned one and he knows there’s super cheap ones out there - according to him anyway.

5. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I am a "Harley ONLY" guy, but I gotta admit..when I first saw this, I thought it was pretty hot looking.
    I might buy one used in a few years, but I would definitely not buy new & NOT pay Harley money for a non-Harley. I'll wait till they're 5 or 6 grand in a few years.

6. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Overall a decent looking bike, and BMW builds some good ones. Not digging the weird artsy side pipe, but I’m sure aftermarket pipes will be available.

Jakedog likes this.
  7. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I do not dig the look of that exhaust at all. Looks like a concept rejected from a Dr. Seuss illustration. Other than that, it’s freakin beautiful! I’m gonna go back and click the link and see if it’s available in any cool colors. I know the black is historically accurate, but I’m just so over black motorcycles.

8. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

That is a work of art on wheels! And with that long wheel base I bet it floats like a dream!

tery and ce24 like this.
  9. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Im a never Harley guy. I rode one for 15 years but the whole fake badass scene replicated at the dealers finally got to me. I ride a BMW R1100rt now. I went to a local harley shop (trying to keep my business local) looking for a 1/2” bolt to install some forward pegs that i had from left over harley parts. The parts guy told me we dont have BMW PARTS!...i reminded him that a 1/2” bolt is not a BMW PART. He said we dont have BMW parts. :confused::eek:. Its that blinder mindset at dealers that i find hilarious. Caveat...i have nothing against any body who rides Harley. Vast majority just like being in the wind.
    Cheers.

TIM5150 and Jakedog like this.
  10. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

My wife’s oldest brother has had BMW bikes forever. I prefer four wheels, and have owned a litany of BMW coupes.

Whenever I mention our cars to said BIL, he’ll respond “oh, they build cars too?”:rolleyes::)

ce24 likes this.
  11. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Two weeks ago I stopped into Black Hills Harley-Davidson just to snoop around a bit, and they had a grey Super-DuperGlide of some sort sitting there with a price sticker on the headlight of $59,995.

I bought my '15 XL1200C Sportster, used, but with under 3K miles on it, about a year and a half ago for a relatively lousy $6700. I don't really like Harleys, but somehow I really like mine, and I very much like what an incredible value mine was and how much I like riding the damn thing.

$59,995??????

No wonder Harley is tanking.

As for the BMW.....I guess I like it well enough at the outset, and either more, or less, after I get a chance to ride an R18.

BMW is making noises about it going after a bigger share of the American cruiser market with this bike, but they're in dreamland if they think this bike will tap off any meaningful numbers of the floorboarded V-twin crowd. A large, opposed-cylinder, twin-engined, bike with footpegs under the rider rather than in front of him might as well be from Mars as Germany as far as any meaningful acceptance by that group is concerned.

Of course...I could be 'full of it', and they'll flock to it like sheep to a shellacking.

I should stop being so negative about these things, but I have way too much time to think of things lately.

Anyway, back to the R18....

The mufflers are apparently a 'love them or hate them' proposition, most here seem to like them, but on other forums I'm on, they are almost universally despised, one saying that they look like a big snake that just swallowed a fat rabbit, other complain about the seams visible on them. Almost ALL of the denizens of the Indian forum I'm on find the footpeg position totally unacceptable.

Some like it, or at least appreciate the effort, but almost none express much interest in ever owning one.

BMW is obviously counting on buyers of this bike to consider it a base to 'option up', modify with factory accessories, and in marketing terms, to consider it a starting point from which you can 'make it yours' by buying their very expensive 'upgrades' from their catalog.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course, but in most cases, that $17,500 bike is going to quickly become a $25,000 bike..

Just saying. ;)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    KevinB and Jakedog like this.
  12. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic

This 1930 Henderson is one of my pre-war dream rides:

[​IMG]

SuprHtr, dented, sean79 and 2 others like this.
  13. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic

1930 Beemer

[​IMG]

TIM5150, SuprHtr, Jlwctn and 4 others like this.
  14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

15. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

That is a beautiful bike, but I agree that the pipes are a little much.

Jakedog and Colo Springs E like this.
  16. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Here's my dusty R1100RT with the aforementioned Harley foot pegs. They are as comfortable as Harley forward pegs.
    IMG_20200406_102401028.jpg

Big_Bend likes this.
  17. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

Nice look, but I suspect my knees would be near my armpits.
    i'd have to try one out.

i was a little surprised it wasnt more than $18k personally.

Colo Springs E likes this.
  18. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah, the pipes are a bit funky, agreed.

Me too! I thought mid-$20s for sure.

Jakedog likes this.
  19. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

The pre-war ones sure as heck weren't 1800cc.

20. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

Who shoved Harley pipes on that BMW?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.