New Blackstar Silverline amps...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Guitardedless, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Guitardedless

Guitardedless TDPRI Member

I have been a longtime fan of the Blackstar ID:TVP amps. Own the 60 head and did have a 15 combo. Really have long admired the tweak ability of this SS amp, yet is still fairly intuitive and easy to use. Often one trades a lot of one at the expense of the other. Seems well though out simple and intuitive. Love their output amp controls. Maybe the tube types are not truly accurate of their real world counterparts, but they allow easy and meaningful crafting of your tone. Ditto for the ISF control. A nice number of presets that are fairly straightforward easy to navigate to. And it really does sound good and has decent playing dynamics of a tube amp. Marvelous cleans from bright crisp to saturated warm. Downsides have been when trying to get some various dirtier sounds. And really only a couple of the effects were (for me) good enough to use. Last and I suspect the biggest trouble spot has been build quality. Not perhaps components, but an example issue is I nearly bricked this amp by having power bounce that corrupted internal flash. Fortunately a special factory reset allowed a restoration back to operation as originally shipped. But before discovering that I was distraught over a $$ SS amp that was unusable. And saw from online forums that I was not at all alone with my woes. Same sort of unfinished feel to the Insider Software...

I have a Katana Artist and like it. I do think Boss deserves their success in what you get for the money across a large spectrum of usability. But I've all along wondered - if Blackstar were to substantially bolster their preamp voices and effects -generally improve their sounds as benefits ever newer technology - finish and clean up rough edges in their build and software. Think they would definitely be able to more than compete toe to toe with the Katana...

Color me hopeful that that is just what they have done. It seems they have kept the identical interface that I think is a big plus. Really hoping to find out the differences between the older ID:TVP line and the Silverlines. It wouldn't take much for me pull the trigger. I've really liked my 60 ID:TVP head. Hoping to hear from anyone here on their thoughts. Best would be some answers to share...

2. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I always tend to look on any preset as guide only .It gives a rough idea of the type of sound you get and then you can work from there .It may never the hit the valve driven sweet spot but few will ever know .

3. Guitardedless

Well I have been checking more into the new Silverline head especially. Really looks very close to the older ID TVP 60 that I have. Again love by the way. I really like the idea of this amp, but the burning question is: Is this really a serious upgrade - or more really just the old TVP + sounds + effects???

Anyone who knows *anything* feel free to chime in...

The dimensions are very close on the head to the original. A little less width and a little lighter. All the controls seem the same with the same layout. Spookily the same front and back. From what I hear, pretty much the same voicings on the preamp and output section selections. What I can't really make out is subjective sound quality, especially goes for the effects, between the old and new...

In my opinion Blackstar needed to at least make dramatic improvements in their effects. And also build quality/reliability issues. If they want to truly compete with especially Boss. Yamaha makes the fine THR100 too...

4. Guitardedless

Not much interest in this thread. In any case, I have been doing some sleuthing about this line of amp replacement for the ID series...

Did download the manuals for the Silverline. I also have the older ID documentation. Almost word for word the same! Having a bad feeling this amp series is really just a rehash of the ID amp series from all I've seen and heard so far...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.