New Black '52 Meets '70s Tele Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Phrygian77, Dec 3, 2019 at 8:46 PM.

1. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

I'm a better amp builder than guitar builder, but I had the itch again recently...

Wasn't sure if this should go in the Partscaster forum or here, but I'm posting here since I did my own Tru Oil finish on the neck (5 coats), with some carnauba wax on the back of the neck. These are Warmoth parts. The neck is a 'Vintage Modern' with a straight 9.5" radius, 1-11/16" nut width, and a 'Standard Thin' C shape. It's 22 frets, which I'll never do again with a wood mounted neck pickup. I would have preferred a vintage body, but I got a good deal on a standard one.

Hardware is mostly Marc Rutters's stuff, his Brodacaster knobs, 3/8" over control plate (reversed obviously), brass compensated saddles on a Fender bridge plate, string Tree, strap buttons, and string ferrules. The tuners are Gotoh. There's some Glendale in there too. The neck plate (best thick neck plate EVER!) and the black switch tip with a set screw.

The pickups are Mojotone '52 clones. I originally had a Fender OV set, but I f'd up the neck pickup modding it for the separate ground for 4-way switching (may have been dead to begin with, but I never tested it. Lesson learned). So, I custom ordered a Mojotone '52 clone set with longer neck pickup wires for the reverse control plate and a separate ground wire. I went ahead and got the bridge too. I actually like the '52 Clone Mojotone bridge better anyway. It's a hair spankier than the OV bridge. Slightly lower wind I think, it measured 6.4k.

IMG_20191203_110115.jpg IMG_20191203_110126.jpg IMG_20191203_110143.jpg IMG_20191203_110206.jpg IMG_20191203_110229.jpg IMG_20191203_110317.jpg IMG_20191203_110338.jpg IMG_20191203_110410.jpg IMG_20191203_110441.jpg

2. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

Looks pretty sweet to me.:)

Phrygian77 likes this.
  3. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Great! The work you did on the back of that neck looks VERY nice. Congratulations on putting together a really nice partscaster!

Phrygian77 likes this.
  4. Phrygian77

I meant to mention that it's a roasted maple neck. The Tru Oil makes it pop nicely. I've got another roasted maple neck, on my esquire, that I never put a finish on, except a thin coat of Watco Danish Oil. The fret board got dirty pretty quickly. That's okay on that guitar because it's relic style anyway. This was my first go at Tru Oil. It's pretty forgiving stuff. It's just slow waiting for cure between coats. It's basically a varnish, so you can get ghosting if you burn through the layers, but the final coat will cover it. I didn't do the greatest job, but I'm satisfied. Having thin cut strips of grey and white Scotch Brite (00 and 0000 grades) to work between the frets helps a lot.

theprofessor likes this.
  5. Phrygian77

Oh, also I used Emerson pots and an Emerson cap. Mojotone was out of the Oak Grigsby switches, so I ordered from Stewmac. I don't think I'll ever do that again. The pots are okay. I like the feel of the Mojotone branded CTS pots better, and they have a shorter threaded bushing. The Mojotone wiring kits are a better deal.

IMG_20191122_023807 (1).jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 11:43 PM
  6. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

The neck on that is stunning - I hope that it plays even half as nice as it looks! Nicely done, and I'm sure that it's a pleasure to play!

Phrygian77 likes this.
  7. RifleSlinger

RifleSlinger Tele-Meister

Tasteful and striking. You put together a beautiful instrument.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  8. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Wow man, that is very nice. So sleek and shiny looking. Great job - Congrats.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  9. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Love that color combo. I built 2 just like that for a nephew and a friend. I think it's my turn...:)

Phrygian77 likes this.
  10. Phrygian77

I like it a lot now that it's done, but I originally had no intention of building a black Tele. I was going to do an early '50s blackguard or late '50s whiteguard. Then I found a deal on a black body, and I started looking at pictures of black Teles. Something about the black with a black 3-ply and maple neck just said '70s country music to me, that and my bassist's P-bass is the same color combo.

RickyRicardo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.