1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Bigsby owners...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by StevesBoogie, Jan 22, 2021.

1. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic

Good morning TDPRI - I am shouting out to see if there are any folks that recently purchased their first guitar with the Bigsby vibrato system, and what their thoughts are. Do you like it? Regret it? Tuning issues?

And I don't want to leave out existing Bigsby owners! Is it a myth that these systems lead to tuning instability, or is that myth more of a function of the guitar's quality/components?

Thanks for any info that can be provided. I am looking at a used Gretsch 2420 and I originally was not going to get this model with the Bigsby, but there appears to be an opportunity to get a great one at a great price but it has the Bigsby. Personally, it's not a must-have for me, although, I wouldn't mind having it if it doesn't cause any headaches.

Thanks all.

2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yes it is.
    If you know how to string a guitar properly and have a nicely cut nut of course.

3. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Agreed, it is a total myth. I recently built a Tele with a bigsby style tremolo, not even a real one, a cheap copy, I thought I would have all sorts of issues, but after reading an article about this specifically I re cut my nut, it was a revelation, the guitar hardly ever strayed out of tune.

Boreas and StevesBoogie like this.
  4. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

The trick to using a Bigsby and some tuning stability is to shake it, especially I have found, if you start the shake by pulling up first.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It's a myth. I use many of the varieties, B3, B5, B6, B7, B11, B16--it's all about the install, bridge and nut. Locking tuners are useless, unless one wants to simplify. Also a myth is the idea that changing strings is a PITA. Well, if you don't know what you're doing yeah, there's gonna be a few fumbles. No special tools are needed, and no tears need to flow :)

6. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

The way to think about it is that Bigsbys don't for the most part cause tuning problems, but if your guitar has an issue that has the potential to cause tuning problems a Bigsby will find it. The nut is the most obvious point where issues occur but saddles need attention too. Nut slots should be not too deep and they should be U shaped and the correct size for your string gauge, saddle slots should also be U shaped on the bottom. If either nut or saddle slot is V shaped or too tight for the string, hello tuning issues.

Lots of people prefer roller bridges and locking tuners. Roller bridges help if you have a modern style bridge that's rigidly mounted onto thick posts, if it's an ABR with the posts screwed directly into the body they rock a bit on the posts so you don't need a roller. Locking tuners arguably do help a little bit as you can minimise the number of wraps you have around the posts, but it's a very small benefit - you're certainly not pulling the string through the hole in the tuner using the Bigsby, unless you're really bad at changing strings. I do use nut sauce on my Bigsby guitars as a belt and braces approach.

There are specific issues you can have with the Bigsby itself, but they're less common. Most of them function fine.

I have a soft spot for the things...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic

Holy smokes those are beautiful guitars! Great advice, thank you very much.

jayyj likes this.
  8. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

gorgeous guitars! would you mind telling us each model designation?

jayyj likes this.
  9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Any "tremolo" (vibrato) system on a guitar is to some degree (however miniscule) less stable than hard tail, IME.

Any such system, properly set up on a properly set up guitar, is more than sufficiently tuning stable for any live or studio work, IME.

A little "wiggle" is a wonderful thing.

I have 4 electrics (too many):

1. Hardtail Tele
    2. Bigsby Tele
    3. Les Paul
    4. SG with Vibrola

I love them all equally. And use them about equally.

StevesBoogie and BorderRadio like this.
  10. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

For as much as SOME people complain about them, you wouldn't think they would even still be in business, let alone probably the most universal tremolo system around the world. I don't know that for a fact, but you don't need to look far to find a guitar with a Bigsby. Either all of those people don't mind tuning instability, or they have found out how to properly set up a guitar with a Bigsby. Once you understand potential issues at the nut and saddle, they are pretty easily sorted out. And they are greatly improved with a Reverend "squishy spring"! I don't know why they don't come standard.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  11. MilwMark

The feel of a Bigsby on an arched or carved top guitar is so subtle and squishy with a standard spring I never tried the Reverend on one of those.

I did try on on a Tele, because on a flat top guitar with the Bigsby so close to the bridge, the feel is stiffer/less expressive. I thought the Reverend spring did a great job making the Tele Bigsby feel more subtle and expressive like on an arched/carved top. But, the spring didn't seem to have enough tension on my Tele for the strings to reliably come back to pitch. I use 11s if that is relevant. I wasn't bothered enough by the feel with a standard spring to explore solutions and just went back to that.

Boreas and StevesBoogie like this.
  12. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't think I ever tried the squishy spring with 11s. Of course Bigsby springs come in different lengths to compensate for setup problems, but as far as I know, the Reverend springs are one-size-fits-all. BUT, not returning to zero can be due to friction at the bridge, excessive break angle, and excessive friction in the hold-down bar on a B5/50. All of these are solvable, because I have managed it several times.

Basically, the typical hold-down bar on a B5/50 is too big, causing excessive break angle, which increases friction at the bridge. My mods involve reducing that angle. Soon as you do, things return to zero reliably and it is a beautiful, sensitive, shimmery trem system. I even replaced my problematic MIJ Mustang trem with a Bigs. MUCH better.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  13. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Had a B3 on a Heritage. No issues and I would have expected a nightmare based on the internet. Only problem I had was that I wanted to use it after every strum!

I think I had an inexpensive Ibanez with one, and recall no issues there either. And a Gretsch pro line for a minute, again no issues.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  14. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Plus 1 on the Reverend soft spring

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My Chet with Bigsby, and Duesenberg with proprietary Bigsby-type tremolo both stay in tune beautifully.
    I do have better luck with heavier than normal strings, and higher than normal action.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    StevesBoogie likes this.
  16. MilwMark

I used to request “medium” action on setups. But what used to be “medium” is now “high” it seems.

Stores new to me are always surprised when they mutter “as low as possible action with minimal buzz” and I ask for action higher than that.

brookdalebill likes this.
  17. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

One of my Bigsby'd guitars* is a 1989 Korean plywood Squier Tele, and the Bigsby isn't even stock. It's also installed slightly off-center and (thankfully, in this case, given the slight wonk) has the rocking-style Jazzmaster bridge with threaded saddles so many JM-players bemoan.

It stays in tune just fine. A little shim in the neck and fiddling with the strings on the saddle threads to make sure everything runs straight and no worries.

* My other Bigsby'd guitar is a Reverend Tricky Gomez, which is also great. I'd like a full hollow body one day, preferably with a Bigsby, as well.

My Tele (now an Esquire) has the stiffer spring. I tried a squishy one but preferred the stiffer action. Odd, since I love the squishy one on my Reverend. I did get a taller spring for the Tele to help the bar clear the controls a little better.

StevesBoogie and Boreas like this.
  18. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I say buy it if it's a good price. I routinely buy guitars I'm curious about (if at a decent price) & if it turns out they're not for me just sell & get my money back.

I like Bigsbys more than any other style trem/vibrato units I've tried. Guitars come and go but I have a half dozen Bigsbys I keep for the next new to me guitar. Like anything else, if you won't take the time to learn how to use it right, you won't get the most from it.

StevesBoogie and Boreas like this.
  19. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I put a Bigsby on my Tele about a year ago. Does that count as new? I have no issues. I saw a video before I installed it. The guy on the video said the number one reason Bigsbys go out of tune is improper installation. They need to line up properly and screws need to be snog but never cranked down. When they are overtightened, the trem will get skewed out of alignment and cause problems. I also had to file some relatively deep saddle slots. Of course, Bigsbys are much more subtle compared with strat terms. They don't dive bomb, and if you try you may have tuning issues due to that.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  20. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

Bigsbys are alright. If you have a good nut and bridge they stay in tube well. I don’t recommend them on flat guitars. You need a carved or arched too so you’re using the end of the arm. On a tele, it’s bunched up over the controls and gets in the way.

StevesBoogie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.