New benchtop jointer questions

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by newuser1, May 18, 2021.

1. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Holic

I finally bought a new 8" King benchtop jointer and I have a few questions.

What product should I use to protect the tables from rust?

I usually use poplar, basswood, cherry, and pine for my body blanks, and maple, cherry, and walnut for the necks. Is there a standard depth cut you would recommend for squaring the lumber I use, or should I change it depending on the wood species and/or the blank type (body vs neck)?

2. Speedy454

Speedy454 Tele-Holic

I don't remember the name of it but there is a wax free spray/wipe on product designed exactly for the cast iron machined surfaces like that. It really works well, and one spray bottle will last a good long time. It makes the wood glide along the cast iron surface easier and protects from rust. Almost all woodworking shops carry it.

Its called Top Coat or Glide Coat.
    https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/top-cote.aspx

Depth of cut will vary from wood to wood. Light cuts are far less prone to tear out than a deep hogging cut.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    newuser1 likes this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Clean the bare metal surface with steel wool/Scotchbrite and mineral spirits. Dry it all off. Apply paste wax to it and buff it off.

Car wax works too...but avoid any waxes that contain silicone. That stuff will make applying finishes a nightmare.

newuser1 likes this.
  4. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Wax.jpeg

Axis29, newuser1 and mfguitar like this.
  5. oldunc

oldunc Tele-Meister

I use Boeshield T-9, a super hard spray on wax product designed for the purpose. It not only protects the surface, it makes a tremendous improvement on how workpieces, as well as fences and such- move across the surface. If you're just using it for guitar making, the volume of lumber you're jointing will be very low; I'd stick to pretty light cuts.

newuser1 likes this.
  6. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Holic

Thanks,

What do you consider a light cut?

7. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The shallowest cut you can make is the answer, then work your way deeper if you need to. Spend some time adjusting and with some scrap lumber.
    I think I have mine set at close to 1/64th. Also, your starting edge needs to be reasonably straight.

newuser1 likes this.
  8. oldunc

oldunc Tele-Meister

I generally just eyeball it, but mfguitar's (do I want to know what that means?). 1/64th" sounds like a good number to start from.
    ps- I may have misled about Boeshield- it is sold for use on woodworking machinery, but actually it was developed by Boeing for use on aircraft parts.

newuser1 likes this.
  9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

My jointer has a little depth guage. I keep it about 1/32". If I have a lot of extra wood, I'll dial it up to a thicker cut, but the more you take off, the more it can chip on wild grain. Don't forget to look at the grain direction and cut accordingly.

6 Jointer Pointers (woodmagazine.com)

newuser1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.