new bd2 has no fizz?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by leonard d rock, Jan 18, 2020.

1. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

hello all!
    did anyone buy or try the new blues driver recently? what i mean by new is it comes in the black box and has the new SMT circuit. i played it in a store and i noticed there was less or no fizz that plagued the old ones.
    did i hear it right? thanks

The-Kid likes this.
  2. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Have to say yes

Did notice this.

The move by boss to SMD is nicer. Tigheter components and higher quality. Same price......still think the regular line has nothing on the Japanesw Waza but they are decent and get the job done.

leonard d rock likes this.
  3. leonard d rock

i was wondering because i played it thru a modeling amp set to country clean and when i heard it it was really clear it had no fizz.

i also tested the new os 2 and it had way more volume than an old os2

The-Kid likes this.
  4. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

My smd SD-1 is pretty great. I haven’t tried the new BD-2 but I can confirm the Waza BD-2w is phenomenal. Best blues driver there is.

The-Kid, leonard d rock and Chiogtr4x like this.
  5. leonard d rock

thats nice to know . i love the sd1 and i got 2 and if the smt is good ill get one too

6. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

I noticed no difference whatsoever with the full size component SD-1 or the SMT SD-1. They’re all good.

7. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

The new BD2 regular version is much quiter and has lower noise floor etc etc. Same tones yeah but lower noise floor.

8. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Yeah I was able to try them out. Not at the same time but on different occasions through same amps and same guitar within the same 2-3 months. From memory did find the older ones to be a bit hissier and having more noisefloor than the original versions.

Again havent A/B'd directly but from memory do recall the older ones being much noiser, noise floor wise through the same amp using the same guitars than the newer ones that were pretty quite.

9. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

10. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

Interesting read. It makes sense. I never tried full size vs smt next to each other but I know that Boss never did anything significant tonewise to the SD-1 circuit since its release. I’ve played a few of various vintages over the years and they were always the same great classic sound no matter the year. I have a 2018 or 2019 and it’s just as great as ever. Apparently less noisy too, which is fine by me.

Granted, you can’t mod the new smt pedals but the two or three modded SD-1’s I’ve had never sounded better than stock, just different. I prefer stock. It’s perfectly tuned for use with a loud amp as is.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.