New bass build - Spinal Back2back bass

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mbechmann, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Yesterday a very good friend of mine broke my heart. He is selling his bass due to 2 back spinal back herniations. He simply cant play bass anymore.

I want to find out if it is the weight that is causing problems. If it is, then I will build him a second version of my travellers bass - the short scale (20") headless bass.

Right now here is what I am thinking:

1. Body - Puplar or Cherry
    2. Set neck using laminated neck - maybe poplar and bloodwood
    3. Hardware - not sure yet but it will be specialized strings like my headless bass
    4. Pickup system will be a mixture of piezo and something else - single pickup somehow.
    5. The finish. Not sure yet. Dont want to paint it (I am not a great painter) but I may want to stain it. We will see what happens

As for the shape I am thinking original design somehow. I have an idea that I might use for this one.

The time frame is that I am hoping to be done by Christmas.

2. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Michael this sounds like a great idea. What a good friend you are.

I'll be watching. Good luck!!!

3. Mbechmann

Well it just breaks my heart knowing that the guy that got me started in playing bass, no longer is playing - and I could have done something about it. Thats just not in my nature to do that.

As for the design. Here is a little bit of where I am coming from. The design is a second version of the Cobranita I did back in 2014 challenge.

The reason I am thinking on expanding the horns is because I want to move the whole bass scale much closer to the body - or actually if you hold it towards the right side - like cigar box style bass. I might actually go long horns as well.

Attached Files:

4. mindwave

mindwave Tele-Meister

sounds like a winner, have you thought about a semi hollow or full hollow bodied instrument?

Beatle Bass could be small and hollow!

5. Mbechmann

I am thinking more the line of a thin-line. But since the whole bass is small I am not sure it will work.

1 thing I have been thinking is that the design above wont work. It will cause him to play slightly to the left. Thats no good. I will move the scale more left.

6. Mbechmann

Here is what is going to be the prototype for this one.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/521263-headless-bass-build-help-needed-5.html#post6636086

DSC_5631.jpg

I also had a talk to him today about this bass. At the time he didnt know what I had planned. I asked what the problem was - and it was the weight that is the main problem. But it does also hurt to play the deeper notes on his normal bass. So the twisting/stretching is an issue.

That does clarify the design a bit. The prototype is 1.780kg. I am hoping to en up around 1.2-1.3kg. It will be tricky but thats my goal :D

7. Larkins

Larkins Tele-Meister

What about something along the line of a Ubass? They make solid body ones that are like a 20" scale. I've been planning on building a version of one of those for a while.

8. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Great project, Michael! Given what he's told you, I'd say your original version would be a winner: light and with not as far to reach.

9. Mbechmann

The ubass was the reason I build the travellers bass in the first place. It is the strings for a ubass I am using. But a ubass is still around 2.2kg in weight. I am aiming much lower :D

I have been playing with a design where the top horn is longer then normal. That should help the strap from being a problem as well.

I am thinking about going laminated body - just to add some strength into it + either champering the inside or actually making it see through - holes straight through the body.

I am however just not sure what types of wood to use. Poplar and mahogany is too close to actually add strength. So I need something that is strong, and light weight... Just not sure what to use... I have access to bloodwood but thats about it.

10. Mbechmann

So here is the design I am thinking on. Its approved by my friend. I like it as well :D

Attached Files:

11. Mbechmann

Have been doing a bit of design work on this one. Changed the wood. The mahogany pieces was on the heavy side - which to my surprise puplar was as well.

So now the neck will be a 3 piece neck through with mahogany and redwood pine. I had a piece that was perfect in weight so that will work. I went from 1970 gram to 1460 gram by doing that.

I also found a guy here in Ireland that will make both the bridge and headpiece out of alu instead of iron. The china one I have is 670 gram so we need to cut the weight there.

Finally I cut the pieces out. It is really small :D. 55cm long. I will do a bit of sanding before glueing the pieces together.

Attached Files:

12. Mbechmann

Headpiece almost done. Made in Alu to keep the weight down. The screws is Alan keys so they will tighten the strings without breaking it.

Still need to paint it black.

Attached Files:

13. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

That's a very nice end piece!

14. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Love the bridge, I do not know much about basses, are only two screws going to keep it in place?

15. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

I'd find a way to polish that piece and keep it polished. I would not paint it. Great work has to be seen.

16. Mbechmann

I cant take full credit for it. Together with a friend of mine we designed it and he build it. He is the metal genious :D

Well, its not the bridge to start with. :D Its a headless bass so this is what the headstock will look like. The 2 big holes are for fixing this to the neck, yes.

I asked my friend what he preferred and he likes the black. Personally I like black, but love this polished alu. Its not the last time I use this type of bridge and nut.

17. Mbechmann

All painted black. It looks good. I like both the silver look and the black look.

He is now starting work on the bridge. This is going to be good

Attached Files:

18. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

That looks great!!

19. Mbechmann

I think he is doing an outstanding job. Cant wait to see them on the bass.

Attached Files:

20. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Excellent work Michael on all levels!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.