New Baja on The Way

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by HighlonesomeF5, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Fuggle

Fuggle TDPRI Member

Absolutely nothing wrong with a nice used Baja!

howardlo likes this.
  2. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I wanted a Baja for a long time, but the only ones that came thru the local GCs were butterscotch and I really didn’t like the Baja shade of butterscotch. I was also ambivalent about all the switching, so it never happened...

Fast forward to three weeks ago I go to GC out of boredom not looking to buy anything and this fiesta tele catches my eye. As soon as I grabbed the neck I knew I had something. You just don’t see necks like that too often (except the Baja, of course). Felt light, too. And resonant. I didn’t need to plug it in, I could tell it was a winner, but I didn’t go there to buy anything...

I walked around some more looking at other gear, but I kept going back to that tele. Must of pulled it off the wall four times, but exercising extreme self control, I walked away. I kept obsessing over it on the way home and it occurred to me I could trade in a couple of guitars I never played anymore that would get me at least close to an even trade. I know, you don’t get what they’re worth that way, but I wanted it now...

So I load up the two victims and drive a half hour back hoping it was still on the wall. It was so we do the deal. Not a great deal, but I got 15% off the new one, so close enough. I’ve been thrilled with it ever since.

Oh, I almost forgot, it’s the Vintera 50s Tele. Unmodified. :)

mimmo likes this.
  3. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ever since Fender discontinued the model the used prices have been escalating. You used to be able to score a used one for $600, but not likely now unless a little beat up. If you can land one for around $700, it is a great instrument for the money and worth grabbing. I don't think I would pay much more than that for used one however as I did feel they needed a couple of minor improvements (upgrade saddles to compensating and changing to an electro-socket at a minumum).

gwjensen and Fuggle like this.
  4. Fuggle

Fuggle TDPRI Member

And I’ll just throw out that “Baja Tele” sounds a whole lot cooler than “Vintera ‘50s Tele Modified”.

5. gwjensen

If you can get 10 - 15% off the 899 for a new vintera modified you’re not that far off... and it’s the same guitar... and new.

Fuggle likes this.
  6. gwjensen

Yes it does, but a rose by any other name...

Fuggle likes this.
  7. Fuggle

Fuggle TDPRI Member

Except they’re going for $999-1049 depending on color.

They day I learned from Sweetwater that the Baja was discontinued and no longer available, I grabbed one new from GC for 15% off. I think it was like $704 and I’ve been really happy since. :)

gwjensen likes this.
  8. gwjensen

Oh, you’re right! There’re $100 more than the unmodified ones. $200 more for the ash one. Modified, unmodified... thats getting tedious...:rolleyes: Great deal on your Baja.

Fuggle likes this.
  9. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

The Vintera isn't the renamed Baja, the Vintera Modified is the renamed Baja :) I may grab the first used surf green one I see :)

Though for the life of me I can't figure out why they discontinued the Baja, it seems to have been a critical hit in every way possible. My Baja is a great guitar at any price.

Fuggle and gwjensen like this.
  10. gwjensen

Well, in a way they didn’t discontinue it. Just changed the name and raised the price o_O

DanDII, jim777 and Fuggle like this.
  11. Fuggle

Fuggle TDPRI Member

The surf green and sonic blue ones are stunning. My blonde Baja still has the new guitar smell and already I’m drooling over those new colors.

gwjensen and jim777 like this.
  12. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

Something about the Baja neck forces me to play cleaner and with more attention than I do on a modern C.

13. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

What about a pic? ;)

14. gwjensen

Okay, a couple of quick ones... The Fiesta looks closer to Dakota, like a cross between Fiesta and Dakota, but I like it.

vintera 1.jpg vintera 2.jpg

howardlo, mimmo and Fuggle like this.
  15. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Thank you, Sir.
    I shouldn't have asked: she is gorgeous (and very, very tempting..).

gwjensen likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.