New and would like some opinions on Teles DUH !!!!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Rick53, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Rick53

Rick53 TDPRI Member

New Member : Name is Rick : I live in Michigan USA

I played out for years . All kinds of Music But I'm a Beatles era Player . It's why I started :

These days mainly at home or in a poll barn band for gatherings :

Using a DrZ Cure along with Reverb Deluxe , Blues Junior and AC15 upgraded with a Gold .

I haven't owned a Telecaster in 20 years . Never owned a Gibson either . Always been a Strat guy :

I've been looking online at Nash , LSL and Fender's Newer Ultras Telecaster Types

My only real concerns are Weight and Finishes .

I have seen enough LSL's to know their finishes are Great . Their relics appear authentic .

So questions :

Are the Ultras Heavy beasts ?? I see many guitars where they list weights are 8lb plus . That seems heavy for a Strat or Tele .

My currently used Strat is a Fender American Original 50's . The finish was damaged when I bought it . The paint was falling off pretty heavily . So I attempted a Relic Job . I have never weighed it . The place I bought it from had it listed at 7.1 lbs . It feels lighter so guessing that spec is close .

Does Nash make just one finish level ? I watched an older video on a Nash T-52 Custom Heavy Relic . I couldn't understand the language . But the guitar looked much nicer then the pictures I see of most Nash guitars
    The video title was a comparison of Standard Nash Relic vs Custom Relic from Nash
    What stick in my head is a used Nash I played back in 2007 . It was a Relic Strat type with a Rosewood board . The relic looked terrible . HAS THAT IMPROVED?

Last Leaning towards an LSL to get the Roasted Maple Board . Also is it ok to post a listing from another forum to see if anyone knows about a LSL for sale by owner there ?

Here's my latest Strat :

[​IMG]

Anthem, alpinewhite, LPTyler and 6 others like this.
  2. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

First off, welcome on board!

IMO there is no way to predict the weight of a specific series: your best bet is to go out shopping, you'll know when you find the right one.

Can't help on Nash and LSL guitars, sorry. Someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

3. Festofish

Festofish Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Can’t help you there but welcome from a fellow Michigander anyway.

alpinewhite likes this.
  4. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

So you will be fine with one of the many FANTASTIC AO Telecasters Fender currently offers.
    Best Fender teles ever produced IMHO.
    Here are mine ,they are so good that I bought the custom on a Monday and immediately went and bought the thinline the following Wednesday !

16327459279574119618281445516284.jpg

5. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I won’t be the only one who suggests getting out there to “smell the leather”. Guitars are sorta personal bits.
    I have played several Nash offerings in a close-by emporium, and found each one to be worthy. And light.
    The feel and tonality was impressive, as it should be for the costs. The ‘69 Thinline interpretation was MY favorite, by the bias is strong with this one.
    Know squat about LSL.
    Be thorough, and virtuous in your degree of patience with the process.
    Of course, advice is worth what you’ve paid for it. You may need a snorkel to survive the tidal wave bearing down on you here.
    Anyway, great to have you with us.
    Cheers

Jim622 likes this.
  6. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Welcome Nick, nice to have you here:

Nash-yes, they come in varying degrees of relic. Check out the Humbucker Music website they generally have a good selection.

Fender American Ultra- If you check out Wildwood Guitars website they always note the weight of each guitar they sell. Their current stock range from 7.7 to 9.3 lbs.

Good luck. Nice choices!

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Welcome from Texas....
    Interesting gold Strat you've got there. Surely that's not the original factory finish? I've never seen an original finish flake off in that manner....looks like someone did a poor re-fin in the garage. Nothing wrong with that, doesn't affect sound. Just remember to post a "NGD" (new guitar day) with pictures when you DO get a Telecaster. Good luck. ;)

8. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Some web sites like Sweetwater show the guitar's weigh in their description.

7.0 to 8.0 lbs is a "normal" weight for a Tele. I have a lightweight Baja, which are known to be normally heavier guitars, so each piece of wood is unique in that aspect.

Greggorios likes this.
  9. Rick53

Rick53 TDPRI Member

I live on the west side in northern Michigan . #3 hr drive one way to just a guitar center . Which has nothing in stock but cheaper models

10. Rick53

Rick53 TDPRI Member

What happened I was playing outside when it was high 80's and humid . It weather checked like a normal nitro . But 2 weeks later it started peeling off. I think it went the way it did because Fender has a poly base finish . So the paint at least on mine must have gotten contaminated , I wouldn't call in a garage finish . If you are into relics it's kinda like a Dale Wilson when he gets carried away . It's an American original Fender from 2017 . I redid the neck and aged the metal to make it match.

Anthem and nojazzhere like this.
  11. Rick53

Rick53 TDPRI Member

Maybe it's just me : A tele weighing over 7 1/2 is to heavy . To bad because I really like what they did with those guitars

Greggorios and nojazzhere like this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you're new-ish here, you may not be aware that we regularly have "heated" debates about guitar weight. Some people deny it has any effect on "playability" or comfort, and those for whom weight can be a deal-breaker. I found that, over the years, gigging with a heavy guitar became increasingly uncomfortable. My #1 Telecaster for many years weighed in at eight pounds, and after even just two or three sets, I was sore and tired. I "replicated" that guitar (neck, hardware, pickups, etc) just with a lightweight Paulownia body. Weighs in at just over five pounds. Now, I feel I can play all night if I need to. ;)

Clifton C, 1guy, Rick53 and 1 other person like this.
  13. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I hear you. In this case, there are many nice people around here, you will find the best answers for sure.
    Good luck.

14. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Welcome aboard! I did have the opportunity to play one Nash, once. It was very light - to the point I didn't like it - guessing 5lbs maybe? Maybe it was an exceptionally light specimen. It played nicely though, and I would say the relicing looked pretty darn authentic up close, though. Didn't plug it in - should have ;)

15. AviA

AviA Tele-Meister

Welcome, Rick.

Telecaster = best guitar, period

Clifton C, teleplayr and stanleyj like this.
  16. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Afflicted

If weight's a concern, consider a Thinline. Half hollow body with f-hole.

G&L makes one called a "Bluesboy" with a single coil in the bridge and a humbucker in the neck.
    They often pop up as "Stupid Deal of the Day" on MF for sub $300.

I just finished building a Thinline from parts and I'm *thrilled* with the outcome, so it can be done. And that way you get to pick all the options from scratch.

17. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

Welcome from a fellow Michigander!

Motor City Guitar in Waterford Is a Nash dealer. Last I checked they had quite a few in stock on their walls. I’d go in there a check some out if that’s what youre after...

I personally dig late 80s-early 90’s Teles. I love the way they play and feel. Just the right amount of wear. And you can usually find a nice American for less than new, But that’s me!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  18. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm no help, welcome.

19. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If weight is a concern, as it is for me, there is no such thing as an "average/predictable" weight for any particular guitar/model. Buy a guitar from a seller who tells you exactly what the weight of the particular guitar is. Don't buy from someone who hasn't weighed what they're selling, you can't rely on statements like "it's light". Swamp ash teles can be as light as 6 to 6.5 pounds; if the body is Paulownia (like the Brad Paisley roadworn) the weight could be even less, but check the exact weight of any specific guitar before you buy. For me, weight of a tele between 6.5 pounds and an ounce or two over 7 pounds is ok, but you need to figure what weight is ok for you.

20. UPtele

UPtele Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Lots of trolls here

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.