New amp vs mooer ge-150

aboz65

TDPRI Member
Hello, I'm looking to move beyond my current line 6 spyder v 20. I am more or less beginner/ intermediate guitar player, and working on jazz, bluesy stuff. So mostly clean tones, reverb, bit of dirt, sometimes s bit of delay. I play at home, sometimes late at night, so quiet sound or headphones are what I use. No need for tons of effects, and I am not planning on gigs, etc.

Two reasons I'm looking to get something in else: 1) I really don't like the controls on the spyder (one tone control for eq, for instance, "hissy" headphones, poor navigation for effects; and 2) I'm trying to work with a looper, and since it does not have an effects loop, I can't really layer different tones/effects.

So I've been looking for a practice/modeling amp with an effects loop with good tone control and effects, and it seems like a unicorn if I try to stay under about $200. My thoughts are:

1) orange rt35- has an effects loop; probably not great for jazz but I am guessing can adjust tone to suit (any opinions?); But no built in effects other than reverb

2) get a new amp like a box vt20x- nice sound, enough effects and easy to navigate. But no effects loop.

3) get something like a mooer ge-150-built in looper, effects, etc. But can this then be routed to my existing spyder 15? Will it sound good? Also, I am leery since this is new territory. Plus is a headphone jack, etc

As I mentioned, Trying to stay below about $200.

Comments? Thoughts? Ideas other than the above? Thanks

Last edited:

BluesRoot

TDPRI Member
Wow, I can't believe that you have not gotten a response to this. I generally do not use multi effects processors but I have in the past. They come in handy. I found your post because I was looking for info on the GE 150. I thought I would check it out and maybe get one. Okay, I will answer your question to the best of my ability but after all this time, I'm sure you have found some answers on your own. Your biggest challenge is the 200.00. And now that a year and half has passed, it is even more of a challenge. Your best bet is a Quilter Superblock US but you will need a cab. You can probably find a used 110 or 112 cab kind of cheap if you look around. Sometimes it's way cheaper to buy a speaker and cabinet separately especially if your looking for something used. What I have recommended has already exceeded 200.00. The Superblock is 350.00 to 400.00 (sorry). It's worth the investment. with the right cabinet you could even do a small gig or larger if mic'ed up. It has a line out as well. It puts out 25 watts and has an effects loop. With or without pedals the possibilities are endless. If you look real hard in pawn shops or maybe online, you might be able to stay under 200.00. A little extra expense is an investment in the future. If you absolutely insist on staying under 200.00, you should look for a used 80s or 90s Peavy solid state amp. The transtube series is pretty good. You can pick up the older Peaveys at reasonable prices and they're built like tanks. I hope you get this after all this time!

AquariumRock

TDPRI Member
I’ll chime in as an Orange 35rt owner. It’s a nice amp and I do really like the clean setting. I managed to break mine (the clean setting) and eventually replaced the amp with a Katana. But for what it did the Orange sounded better, even clean.

Biggest issue I had was volume. It’s a loud amp. It’s ostensibly something you would use at home or in quiet settings but you need to crank that thing to get any character in the sound and that defeats the purpose. If I were married to getting an Orange I’d probably go for the 20, though I don’t know if that has the FX loop or not.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I have evolved (some might say devolved) into using a small modeling device as a preamp, driving a power amp and speaker cab. Some of this shift came about because I happened to have a power amp, and was taking up bass, and figured I could learn a bit about what I wanted in bass tone by taking cues from the amp models in the Zoom B2 I bought used ($50, Craigslist).

It also gave me a tuner, some effects and compression, which I like to use, all in one little box.

And I discovered that with some experimentation and tweaking, I could get good (to my ear) guitar and lap steel sounds out of the Zoom. And it was handy for quiet home playing and recording, through headphones or DI.

I now have two power amps, a Peavey I found for $40 and a Crown I found for $80, just because they are older and bulkier than the new crop of them and people were upgrading.

It’s less convenient to move than a single combo amp, but not THAT much more trouble since I am not dealing with a pedal board and power supply and all that.

Careful perusal of CL and FB Marketplace could probsbly get you a used cab, a used Zoom or Pod or something and a used power amp for a couple hundred max, and net you a pretty flexible rig.

Pic below shows $50 Zoom B2 into $40 Peavey power amp, driving $80 Hartke cab. Also $50 pawnshop Squier P-bass. In your case you could substitute a used guitar cab
D8070CCD-E76B-4C8E-AD31-0D3C5A80836C.jpeg

And in this pic a gifted Behringer V-amp Pro modeler(guitar modeling unit, thought to be broken but only needed a memory battery replacement) replaces the Zoom B2, and an $80 Crown power amp replaces the Peavey. I later made a homemade rack case out of scrap wood (free, and an afternoon of getting sawdust all over)

34EF0241-0E10-4DAC-BF60-3D76E1C188F4.jpeg

Attachments

• D4A414B4-F4F2-4112-9ADA-658257E59260.jpeg
    D4A414B4-F4F2-4112-9ADA-658257E59260.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I have evolved (some might say devolved) into using a small modeling device as a preamp, driving a power amp and speaker cab. Some of this shift came about because I happened to have a power amp, and was taking up bass, and figured I could learn a bit about what I wanted in bass tone by taking cues from the amp models in the Zoom B2 I bought used ($50, Craigslist).

It also gave me a tuner, some effects and compression, which I like to use, all in one little box.

And I discovered that with some experimentation and tweaking, I could get good (to my ear) guitar and lap steel sounds out of the Zoom. And it was handy for quiet home playing and recording, through headphones or DI.

I now have two power amps, a Peavey I found for $40 and a Crown I found for $80, just because they are older and bulkier than the new crop of them and people were upgrading.

It’s less convenient to move than a single combo amp, but not THAT much more trouble since I am not dealing with a pedal board and power supply and all that.

Careful perusal of CL and FB Marketplace could probsbly get you a used cab, a used Zoom or Pod or something and a used power amp for a couple hundred max, and net you a pretty flexible rig.

Pic below shows $50 Zoom B2 into $40 Peavey power amp, driving $80 Hartke cab. Also $50 pawnshop Squier P-bass. In your case you could substitute a used guitar cab
View attachment 1054643

And in this pic a gifted Behringer V-amp Pro modeler(guitar modeling unit, thought to be broken but only needed a memory battery replacement) replaces the Zoom B2, and an $80 Crown power amp replaces the Peavey. I later made a homemade rack case out of scrap wood (free, and an afternoon of getting sawdust all over)

View attachment 1054645
You manage to stretch a dollar to an amazing degree. I am in awe (and envious of your patience to wait for deals to evolve) 👍