New Amp Suggestions (with parameters)

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Strowbri86, May 1, 2020.

1. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf Tele-Meister

I know that exact amp you want.
    The Mythico Unicornicus 20w.
    They are rare though.

Strowbri86 and whoanelly15 like this.
  2. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

Recto-Verb was my thought, too. Though I advocate a head and cab over the combo if looking at the 25 watter. The amp is excellent, the tiny cab is not, in my opinion. It very much sounds like a speaker in a small box to my ears. I've got a Recto-Verb 25 head that is currently sitting in timeout while I decide if my Fillmore combo is going to be my all-in-one to replace it and my others, and it's certainly hard to think I might be finding the Recto a new home - it's just such an excellent amp. Though the cleans seem to be really hit or miss based on the player. They're a little darker than I'm personally wanting which I've heard some agree on, but I know tons of people love them as well.

3. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

5-25-50 watts and versatile as they come.

Mesa Express 550+
    [​IMG]

Strowbri86 likes this.
  4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Slightly above budget new, but check out the Mesa Fillmore amps. They tick all of your boxes, and were designed specifically to NOT flub out.

5. mjstamos

mjstamos Tele-Meister

This right here if you want amp in the room tone/sound you have to have cab options or a versatile one you really like. I use a Quilter head and I have about a half dozen different cabs each one makes it sound and feel like a different amp(s). Currently a 12in Eminence Legend NEO in an open back cab is my favorite unbelievable clean headroom and you can really hear pre, power amp and pedal break up and dial it in! Amps are hugely important but I think folks really under estimate the cabinet and the room those have to work together.

wrathfuldeity likes this.
  6. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Shop used and there are several good examples. A low power Twin comes to mind right away as does the Fralin VVT....which is also pretty much a low-powerd Twin when you pull 2 tubes. You will be pushing right up to that grand for the Fralin if you can find one, but they are out there. I paid just under a grand for mine and it came with some extra upgrades to boot.

7. Strowbri86

Strowbri86 Tele-Meister

Thank you, I'll get right on that

8. Strowbri86

Strowbri86 Tele-Meister

What do you guys think about old Gibson amps? Like the GA 20 (not RVTs, but the yellow ones). Those seem to have smooth and buttery cleans but really GROWL.

Right now I have it narrowed down to a Gibson ga model (several on ebay under 1000), some kind of brownface clone or mod if I can find one under 1000, or an Ampeg g20.

I think the moral of the story is I have been looking for 6v6 in a low to mid wattage. I somehow had not figured that out.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  9. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Speakers and cabs make a huge difference...especially at the lower register. Perhaps an oversized cab or a partial detuned cab.

Strowbri86 likes this.
  10. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Every vintage Gibson amp I owned was always voiced overly bright since it designed around the humbuckers which tended to be a little dark. If you play single coils, those old Gibsons can be ice picks. A speaker change helps, but i still think you end up short.

11. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

I own two tube amps that bring this "Boom" to mind.

Contender #1: Mesa Boogie Recto-verb 25 going into a Rectifier 2X12 cab.

Contender #2: Supro Dual Tone 1X12 combo. I've put this up against a 5150 & 4X12 combination, and the little Supro has enough bottom end to hang with it.

That said, it sounds you want that huge bottom end in a compact package, like 20-watts or smaller. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Strowbri86 likes this.
  12. Strowbri86

Strowbri86 Tele-Meister

From only videos alone, it seemed like the silver faced ones (rvts) were crazy ice picky, but the yellowish or brownish ones, which are earlier, sounded boomy as hell even with strats and teles.

13. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

Brand New and around $600 for the head. Jim specializes in a Fender Marshall blend and because every one is custom built they might be able to tweak it for you. I have a couple of his amps and they are really good in my opinion.

14. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Crate V1512T, made by St. Louis Music. The 'T' stands for the 12-inch, hemp-coned, Tone Tubby speaker option.

Class A tube amp. 15-watts. Sweet.

I bought one that was NIB old stock, at a small music shop in NY, a few miles from the site of Woodstock. Paid $315 for it. Wish I didn't sell it!

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Strowbri86 likes this.
  15. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

i say that you can find for cheap a Laney VC-15 and do the trick for you.its loud enough,lots of headroom,breaks up in 7/10 volume and got plenty of highs,thats why it put on an Emminence Copperhead to the stock Jencen very a much a country style speacker.its dirty chanel its juicy and you get easy some classic 70s tones,boosts up with a ts or sd pedal,general a pedal friendly amp

Strowbri86 likes this.
  16. Strowbri86

Strowbri86 Tele-Meister

Hmm? Is the brand Brand New or did you leave the brand out?

17. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.