1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

new amp sounds like ass

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by SaltyCat, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

What ever you do, please be careful clearing your throat. :oops:

2. steveneddy

steveneddy Tele-Meister

A 30 watt tube amp is very L O U D !! :eek:

If you are indeed running the volumes on "1" - and you believe it is the amp that sounds bad - then this is potentially too much amp for you - volume wise.

Many guys believe they need 30 - 40 - 100 watts - to sound like thier favorite player. But in reality they aren't able to use the full potential of that amp due to it's overpowering volume obsession.

A bedroom - or "lounge" level amp is an amp that has a good clean sound and has output wattage of 12 - 20 watts - that's it.

Any more than 20 watts and it's just way too loud.

IMHO - you should go the OTHER way with your amps - start with a 5 - 8 watter with a single 10" speaker. Not enough? Move up to a well made hand wired 12 watt amp - like one of the 5E3 clones out there - see where you are sound wise.

Then finally go get a Fender Deluxe Reverb - 20 watts - or so - and give that a shot. Find which amp suits your needs and at that point THEN have your custom amp guy build you an amp with the wattage and tone characteristics you are looking for.

Finally - speakers take time to break in properly - and you won't break a speaker in properly at low volumes - you gotta crank it. It generally takes me about a month of gigs - 12-20 four hour shows - to get a speaker sounding just how I like it to sound.

Good luck with your quest - I hope you certainly find the amp you are seeking.

And FYI - if you buy an amp and believe you need an attenuator for it before you can go play it - you probably have too much amp on your hands.

3. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

I have had this site bookmarked for ages. Every time I get the urge to get a big ol' 50+ watt tube amp, I come back to this link:

http://www.amptone.com/g112.htm

Not saying at all that the Bad Cat amp you're wrangling with now isn't a good amp. But, like steveneddy says above, it just might be too much amp for this stage of your guitar mojo.

I had a Dual Rectifier half-stack many moons ago - god I loved that amp, but only because of the way it sounded the one time I had the opportunity to crank up the master volume. I was convinced I could get THAT sound at lower volume. Nope. Everywhere else, even with the master at manageable volume, I was asked to turn down, and everything sounded thin and splatty.

Live and learn.

4. steveneddy

steveneddy Tele-Meister

Like lefty73 stated above - Bad Cat is a great amp company with quality products - but - to put another spin on this thing - you can't take a race car and expect it to get 40 miles per gallon going to the grocery store.

Elephants don't make good house pets.

If you STILL want THAT amp - then get some old sofa cushions and old pillows and stack up in front of the amp - put a pillow behind the amp without blocking any cooling vent in the rear - and crank that baby up!

You'll get good tone - kinda - and let that amp eat some electricity!

I like two sofa cushions in front and one thick pillow in the rear.

Sometimes I like to fire the amp into the whole couch - just push it right up to the couch and crank it.

I like to play with a little 5 watt amp at home for personal practice and I generally have to set it on the couch facing the rear cushion - or in the practice room I use my other cushions and block some sound that way.

But yeah - 30 watts pushed very hard will rattle the windows - in the next door neighbor's house!

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

bad cats are for playing loud and cutting in busy bands.

If you can't play loud and you aren't in a busy band... it will probably be too loud and too bright!

6. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

crank that beast! if it still sounds bad, you need to practice more thats all.

7. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Half power switches often hurt the tone, IMO.

Turn it to 'full power' and run the master above '4' on the dial. How's it sound now?

BTW. All tube amps are loud. Deal with it. That's what happens when you've got speaker sensitivities over 100dB @1 watt/1meter. In order to half the volume, you'd need to reduce the amp's power by 10 fold. So a 3 watt amp will be half as loud as your 30 watt amp.. but a 3 watt amp now has barely any power to drive the bass frequencies, so it'll probably sound weak in a mix, unless mic'd

A drill is only better than a screwdriver if you know how to use it. Learn to hone your tools. A tube amp isn't inherently better, they must be used properly to get the most out of them.

8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

The OP started this thread July 6, 2014. I'm guessing he got rid of the amp or figured something out by now.

9. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

Another sad case of Buyers Remorse.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.