1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New amp soon: Tweed Champ or Tweed Princeton??

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by richon, May 6, 2009.

1. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Friend of Leo's

I'm just going to speak up in support of an 8" and 10" speaker.

There is a certain midrange and quickness to small speakers that I really enjoy in a small amp. I think they "Talk" better than a 12" speaker. A 12" is more balanced and tends to have more bloom and smoothness. A Champ or Princeton with a 12" will be a great sound too, but I definitely don't hear that difference as better.

2. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah. Like that. Small amp, small speaker. Big amp, big speaker.

3. SamBooka

SamBooka Tele-Afflicted

My 5f2-A really took off when I took out the tone stack.. Much raunchier which is fine since I dont play jazz.. (no wait..)

I do have 2x8 in mine but that is because I had the speakers and wanted to try something different.

4. JoeSixPack74

JoeSixPack74 TDPRI Member

Currently I am have just started building a 5F2-A and just received a Jensen 10" MOD 8ohm speaker. I heard these are good for the tweed princeton amps. Seems like a hell of a speaker to me.

5. richon

richon Tele-Meister

i think i'll get with a 10" for this project, as the 10" still has the "small" sound like the 8" but with all the good sound like the 12".

we will see.

6. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

10"...

There are a ton of killer 10"s out there. 6"s and 8"s just suck.

7. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

That's what I thought until I built my killer mini-JCM800 with the 6"x9". Seriously, the Weber Sig 8S is just the ticket for a tweed Champ or Princeton. Preamp distortion plus power amp distortion plus speaker breakup equals an amp that just sings. (singes? :lol:)

I built a 6x8" cabinet for a harp player a while back. That's six 8" speakers! He runs mixed speakers, old Jensen alnicos, Jensen ceramics, a CTS, a Heppner and a couple old Magnavox 8"s. It yields a thick complex tone with his old Masco. He takes it to jams where other harp players show up with their snotty snobby high dollar harp amps. The bucks-up amps sit there on standby while everyone takes turns playing through his mutant backwoods rig.

Tone is like fishbait... sometimes you got to turn over a few rocks and logs to find the crawly things that are just right. :lol:

8. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Friend of Leo's

That just has to depend on the amp in question. My Swart 6V6se has a single 8" and it simply sounds amazing. :D

9. richon

richon Tele-Meister

i guess i'm going for a 10".... now... let start ordering some parts

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.