1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Amp on the way- Dr. Z Maz 18 NR

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TelZilla, Jun 26, 2020.

1. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Just got a 2011 Dr. Z Maz 18 Non Reverb on Reverb- the 2 x 10" version, blonde tolex. Can't wait to get it and try it. This has been my dream amp for years- I've played many and loved every one. And the company is local- I'm in the Cleveland Area. I will update with pix and stuff as I have them. A couple questions:
    • It's got a manufacture date of 11/11. It's got the current cosmetics, but I believe that makes it a "Mark I"
    • I'm getting ahead of myself here, but does anyone know the details on the Dual Gang Master Volume pot on the Mark II (Resistance and layout/connections)? Not sure if I'll mess with it, but I'd be interested in maybe trying the dual gang.
    Thanks.

2. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

Dr. Z can do upgrades at the factory.

3. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Yeah, but I'm not super into paying $199 for a $5 pot and some shielded wire, and I can buy 6N14N tubes myself

4. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congratulations! The Z-28 has been my gigging amp for over ten years.

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Should be killer. I had an early Stang Ray that was cool, but for some reason I liked the Ghia better, although the StangRay was supposed to just be a 4 EL84 Ghia. I think the Maz replaced the StangRay.

6. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Congratulations. I’ve got a 2013 Maz 18 NR Head. Killer amp!! Enjoy.

7. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Amp came. It's pretty great- does the Maz 18 thing great. Very usable MV (even with the volume dimed, it's a really usable level of gain for me- I'm generally not playing Slayer though). It's LOUD and really HEAVY. I took a frankly obscene number of Gut Shot Photos for all you nerds like me. Pretty tidy stuff:
    Main.jpg
    unnamed.jpg

cdwillis and black_doug like this.
  8. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

IMG_3021.jpg
    IMG_3022.jpg

cdwillis likes this.
  9. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

IMG_3023.jpg
    IMG_3024.jpg

cdwillis likes this.
  10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Cool. I wonder why it's so heavy? I guess because Z uses big transformers... don't see those shown... The cab is ply right? Not light like pine but not heavy like particle board...

11. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I gigged with a MAZ 38R 1x12 for years. The best amp I've ever owned...but it weighed a ton. The cabinet was constructed of 3/4" birch ply, and the speaker baffle was two layers of the ply, which made the speaker quite directional despite the combo being open-back. If you ever find a ~2007 black MAZ 38R 1x12 with salt-n-pepper grill cloth, Weber Beam Blocker, and an XLR jack on the rear panel, that was mine.

Be sure to spend plenty of time with the amp, playing with the tone controls, because how you set them greatly affects the gain structure of the preamp.

12. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Big transformers for sure. PT is huge. Not sure about the cab. Also, this is the 2 x 10”. I guess maybe thats more weight from the magnets compared to 1 x 12”.
    Or maybe Im just a weakling.

13. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Ive been messing around with the volume and Master a lot. Reminds me of an old Matchless 2xel84 clone i built, it was either a Lighning or a Spitfire(whichever one has vol/tone/master vol). The vol and master were almost indistinguisable. You could just sort of mess around with them not paying attention-to which was which getting great sounds at almost every position. This does that too.

The z can get crazy bright too, especially with a tele bridge pup. Of course, one man’s “ice pick” is another man’s “chime”.

14. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Oh yeah, they can be extremely bright.

The Cut control is short for Cut Your Head Off. That's sort of a presence control, but I'm pretty sure on the MAZ 18 it affects the power stage, not the preamp--like how a presence control usually works.

15. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Yes, the transformers are beefy. Even though it's aluminum, the chassis is also substantial. The cab is 3/4" void-free Baltic Birch ply -- quite heavy.

I'm guessing about 50 lbs. for the 2x10 combo.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.