New Amp-for me-day Vox AD30VT

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jamesgmac, Jan 9, 2013.

1. jamesgmac

jamesgmac TDPRI Member

Hello everyone,
    I just picked up a used Vox AD30VT modeling amp. I love the way it sounds and can get great tones at low volume, which is key because I live in an apartment. Any thought on using pedals with it, and if so what ones do you? I do like the drive sounds I get, but was wondering if it would be worth it to get an overdrive pedal.
    Thanks!
    Jim

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

SWEET I got one of these a couple months ago after wanting a smaller (more portable) version of my beloved AD50VT. I first tried the new "+" series and hated those, had two of them die on me. Love the AD30VT. Pedals work well, everything I've thrown at it there's been no problem, but what I really love about it is you don't need any pedals, you've got very serviceable delay, reverb, trem, and lots of other stuff, and you can set the presets to be clean and driven, hint, the footswitch really helps with this. MAKE SURE to turn the noise reduction all the way down, also make sure to crank the volumes and use the attenuator in the back to set your level.

My favorite setting is the Vox AC30TB with the gain at about 11:00

3. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Congrats.

4. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

Enjoy your VOX! I got one several months ago and i have not used a pedal since,I love mine.I just finished 3 years with a low volume blues band,this amp would have been perfect for that gig!I just run the Super Rev model,with delay and reverb,works great with all my guitars.have fun.

5. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Well done.
    I've had one forever.

It takes pedals reasonably well but the on board FX are Vox/Korg so they're not too shabby, pretty much same as a Korg AX10G MFX, I do have both. You do get the same amp models there - Dumble clean, Fenders, Voxes, Marshalls, HiWatt/Soldano, Mesa, Dumble dirty. Individual pedals are generally better, but do try the Tremolo/Reverb

I have replaced the speaker with a Celestion G10-30 Greenback, which is... nice.
    It can gig or mousefart.
    Too many knobs.
    Use the F/S (diy) as a channel switch.

The headphone out is only a "domestic" (low) line-level rec.out so needs putting through a headphone amp, otherwise you have to crank the amp to max

6. jamesgmac

jamesgmac TDPRI Member

thanks for the replies, but it looks like i'm going to have to return it to guitar center. the sound has been cutting out. i've tried cleaning the input jacks and resetting the amp, but the sound still cuts out. it's a shame because it really is a good sounding amp.

7. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

That's a shame, they really are nice amps and the original ADxxVT series seem to the best-sounding overall. I keep mine on the AC15 model 90% of the time and it makes me happy.

8. jamesgmac

jamesgmac TDPRI Member

yeah, it is a shame. it does sound great, but i'm just afraid if i don't return it within their 30 day policy that i'll wind up having to bring it somewhere to get fixed. i tried to look inside it last night for broken solder joints, but didn't want to risk breaking anything and not being able to return it. if anyone knows of anything else i can check let me know, otherwise looks like it's going back tonight or tomorrow. thanks again everyone!
    jim

9. jefrs

I can assure you that they can be fixed. And should not be expensive either.

Did you get the book of words?

There is a "hidden" noise-gate. To disable, turn the FX off, press Edit-1 and simultaneously roll the Edit-2 knob down to zero. The noise gate can sometimes sound like it is cutting out when quiet. Turning the noise-gate off makes its response more lively, you have to do this every time because it does not remember.

There is a solid-state "fuse" hidden under the PCB (not shown on schematic either), a complete pita to get at, but this can cut out and reset.

Most of the "pots" are actually switches controlling the modelling computer engine. The Master and the Power knob on the back are likely the only real pots. Try cleaning their tracks with a squirt of switch contact cleaner.

A simple "it's cutting out" fault could be a simple loose connection fault: category "is it switched on?". If I remember correctly, the mains switch has push fit spade connectors for a start, so does the transformer.

The "starved plate" valve is also a pita to get at but could be worn out, or loose.

10. jamesgmac

jamesgmac TDPRI Member

who doesn't like a bumpy ride in life? right after work i brought the ad30vt back to guitar center to return it. i brought home a new vt20plus. i plugged it in and thought wtf did i do? no offense to anyone that has or likes the vt20plus, but to me it sounded terrible and the hiss was unbearable. back to guitar center i went to claim back my ad30vt. i'm home now and will try the cleaner on the master and power knobs and give it another day. if that doesn't work i'll take it apart again and refasten all the connectors. and if that doesn't work i'll bring it in to a tech. thanks so much for all your help, I really appreciate it!
    jim

11. jamesgmac

jamesgmac TDPRI Member

i forgot to ask... what is the starved plate valve? you mean the valve? i'll pull it out and pop it back in next time i'm in there if that's what you mean.

12. jefrs

Starved plate means it operates on very low voltage. It is not used for amplification but to control the amp simulation engine.

13. blowtorch

james yeah those "+" series amps are horrible with the "snare hiss"

14. iagtrplyr12

iagtrplyr12 Tele-Meister

I owned at least one Valvetronix amp from each series and felt they got worse as far as sound as reliability as I went. The last straw was an 80+ last fall from Sweetwater.

I Received it, turned it on, listened to some useable models, heard the snare hiss, tried whatever I could to rectify it, called Sweetwater and sent it back. It was mind numbing. I traded it for a less interesting, IMHO, but a way better-built Roland Cube 80XL.

End of story and unfortunately my days with Valvetronix amps.

15. jefrs

Looking at the circuit diagram, the AD30VT has a better amp section than its successor the VT40+
    Both are "30 watt" amps but the VT40+ uses lesser components and pushes them harder.
    The AD30VT had a Vox/Wharfedale GSH-1030 speaker, I replaced it with the 10-in Celestion G10-30 Greenback, nice.
    The metal Vox grille is a snare drum, screw it down.

The only problems I have with the AD30VT are it has too many knobs, and its headphone output level is pathetic. I can live with that.

Yes, I have had mine repaired, it was worth it.
    It went dead as a nob when that hidden fuse blew. It won't do that again because my amp-tech is a genius, certified electronics design wizard, and modified the circuit.

16. jamesgmac

jamesgmac TDPRI Member

i used some more contact cleaner last night and reseated all the wire connections. hopefully that will help. if not i'll have it checked and repaired, because it does sound great. yep, that snare hiss on the plus models is awful. i'm sure i could have tweaked the settings to get a clean and gain sound that would have been ok for me, but the snare hiss was just unacceptable... especially when you play quietly at home... you could hear the hiss almost as much as the guitar.

17. jamesgmac

jamesgmac TDPRI Member

so sitting here bored at work i was looking online about the sound cutting out and found someone that said you shouldn't move the attenuator while the amp is on- say from 5 to 15 to 30- because that can make the sound cut out. i wonder if that's part of the problem? i think i'll leave the attenuator in one spot and try resetting it back to factory settings again.

18. jamesgmac

jamesgmac TDPRI Member

so it looks like the sound cutting out problem has gone, but it has been doing that pulsing/popping noise. does anyone know what causes that, and how to fix it? i read a little about the pulsing noise on another forum, but didn't find anything that said what the cure is.
    jim

19. blowtorch

I've no experience with this on the AD30VT. You may have gotten a lemon, which would be a darn shame, these are really nice amps

20. jamesgmac

jamesgmac TDPRI Member

i hope it's not a lemon, it sounds awesome. i found one thing that mentioned about a voltage regulator 7915 going bad. i see a bunch on ebay from thailand that are about $1 with free shipping so i ordered one just in case radio shack doesn't have them. i figure it's worth a shot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.