new amp day, well, new to me, not brand new , Z Maz 38

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by T Prior, Apr 10, 2019.

1. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Bandmates have been using these Z's on and off for many years now, I used a Maz 18 a few weeks back, very impressive.

So I grabbed this Maz 38 , nothing not to like ! I prefer this one with extended clean headroom, which it does very nicely.

not cheap, pretty stout though. with reverb. I have a few different cabs, they all sound good, the one in the photo has a 12" Celestion 80 something or other.

A brave new world for me !

IMG_9198.JPG

schmee, bftfender, Tone Chase and 4 others like this.
  2. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice!

I'll be in Charlotte in 2 weeks lets jam lol.

Enjoy.. thx for sharing.

T Prior likes this.
  3. T Prior

Maz 38, heres what it looks like under the hood. This is a pretty dang good amp, on the first gig a few days ago it was NO issue to dial in a tone , MY tone, in comparison, I'm talking clean, not OD . It was like it didn't much care what speaker cab I was using. The EQ spectrum and that CUT control are pretty slick. I'm very pleased , even at the higher price ! If and when I wanna drive it, ( push it to growl) well thats a whole 'nother subject !

This one was built in 2009. Used , the price was right in range with a NEW Deluxe Reverb or comparable amp . So in perspective, it's wasn't really expensive. New, yeh. it's up there.

Its almost worth saying I should have an 18 watter and an 38 watter ! While they are similar, they serve different purposes. The 18 growls up much quicker .

No regrets, should have bought one a long time ago. Maybe an 18 is in the future as well.

The amp is also labeled on the side of the chassis with the builders name, comments and date. A nice touch.

IMG_9199.JPG IMG_9200.JPG IMG_9201.JPG IMG_9202.JPG

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    OldDude2 likes this.
  4. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

I think it's the original customer name in a z amp

5. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I used to have a 2x12 MAZ 38 combo. It was glorious, insanely loud, infinite headroom, fat and sparkly.

It was just too heavy and I sold it. If it was a head so I could split the weight, I'd still have it.

10 years later, people still come up to talk to me about that amp.

richiek65 and T Prior like this.
  6. T Prior

I hear ya, the Z38 head weighs 35 pounds, but, any TUBE amp that we want to perform with extended headroom will have IRON, which is not a lightweight matter !

I guess we can talk about Twin reverbs again ! Are they extremely clean or too loud ? :)

Or do we acquire a LIGHTER tube amp and then try to modify it to increase the headroom ? :(

7. T Prior

OK I have one complaint, there is no place to wrap or store the line cord . Seems like this would have been a very simple factory add-on. Maybe they did it on later amps, mine is an 09.

I thought about modifying the chassis with a chassis mount AC Line plug . But then thought, nahh, don't want to modify the chassis , as easy as the wiring is, it's still a major chassis modification, a big hole !

So instead I added chassis tie downs to the rear mesh panel. These are aluminum ( 1st pass ) but I will probably change them to something black and not shop made. But they have to be metal as the heat from the 4x EL84's will roast Peanuts. The strips are mounted on 3/4 inch chrome spacers.

IMG_9211.JPG

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Paul G. likes this.
  8. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

Congrats on the new amp! I had the Maz 38 Studio, I wanted to love it in the worst way but I didn't so I moved on.

T Prior likes this.
  9. T Prior

I can see where the 38 doesn't shine like maybe an 18 does, while similar to the 18 , it's not quite the same , on purpose ! It brags about more clean headroom. It doesn't growl early on the knob like the 18 does. Kinda like folks love the Deluxe Reverb because it DOES break up early into a nice gentle tube growl. Even I would bring a Blues Jr to a smaller room guitar only gig.

My requirement for this amp was for double duty Steel guitar and Tele, medium rooms, a bit more headroom , no early break up. It does this well.

10. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

I got the same; in a 212 combo format

killer amp - both fender & gibson

Best master volume in the business - it takes TIME to learn to dial it. CRANK bass & mids; tame the treble

11. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I had one of the earlier model Maz 38 'Invasion' 212 combos.
    It was a great sounding amp, but I never truely bonded with it and let it go.
    I decided I'm more a Fender guy.

12. T Prior

I'm still a Fender guy ! I have several amps, different purposes, HR Deville 2x12 still rules !

Mike H. likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.