New Amp Day: Victoria 5112

Status
Not open for further replies.

steam-powered

Tele-Meister
For the past six months I've been using a Fender '65 Princeton Reissue but yesterday I sold it and purchased a Victoria 5112. I love that it only has one knob (volume) cause too many controls leads to hours or trying various settings. While I liked the Fender, I couldn't get a thick enough tone for mid 50's to 60's jazz, while the 5112, having the larger cabinet and 12" speaker, hits the nail on the head. At 5 watts, it's perfect for recording, and actually has ample headroom for my needs. Since I keep the volume knob on my tele around 5 or 6, I can crank the Victoria to 7 without breaking up, and if a slightly more distorted tone is desired I just increase the tele's volume.

The Victoria website states that this amp, having the 12" speaker and larger cabinet, doesn't need reverb. I didn't believe it but just a few minutes into testing the 5112 it turns out the claims are justified. Very full tone, not compressed like the 1x8. This is my 4th "pricey" amp and likely the last one I'll purchase since it more than meets my needs. It records incredibly well and it's the first tube amp that I can actually crank in my house without bothering my neighbors. Here's a pic along with the only pedal I own.

victoria1.JPG

Chicago Matt

Friend of Leo's
Very nice!. The way you use it (amp up, guitar down and adjust guitar volume for clean to distorted) is how I use my amps also. I have a low-power Tweed Twin and a 5E3. I've been thinking about a Tweed Champ-ish amp for a long time. This one looks like it would do VERY nicely. Thanks for posting!

mitchfit

Tele-Holic
..."The Victoria website states that this amp, having the 12" speaker and larger cabinet, doesn't need reverb. I didn't believe it but just a few minutes into testing the 5112 it turns out the claims are justified."...

for a best case scenario that will add recorded "depth" to the sonic footprint of that amp:

put the rear of the amp about 2 feet from a perpendicular flat/reflective wall. position the mic where it will also pick up the reflected sound, or use a second mic for that. distance matters- experiment with second mic distance*/volume for optimal sound through good closed headphones that will cancel enough volume to hear the recorded signal above ambient.

remove your improvised iso-mount from beneath the amp to allow transmission of vibrations to the [assuming] wooden floor. this will assists the "amplification" quality of a pine cabinet, and artificially boost bass response.

the magic of an open back cabinet is the reflected secondary waves from the back of the speaker. you will hear the difference from the front end through the headphones.

have a [6L6] victorilux 310. when positioned/recorded as above it sounds markedly better than typical close mic-ed in the middle of the room Utube demo vids.

$0.02
mitchfit

* will allow eliminating phase cancellation also.

Rialto1564

Tele-Meister
Nice review and comparison. I've been considering the Princeton and various tweeds for purposes similar to what you mention.

Can you say a bit more about the volume before breakup? Loud enough for small cafe jazz gig without drummer?

homesick345

Poster Extraordinaire
Nice review and comparison. I've been considering the Princeton and various tweeds for purposes similar to what you mention.

Can you say a bit more about the volume before breakup? Loud enough for small cafe jazz gig without drummer?
Definitely. At mid volume; it's clean and loud.

steam-powered

Tele-Meister
mitchfit: thanks for the recommendation regarding amp/mic placement, much appreciated!

Rialto1564: More than loud enough for a small cafe. As long as you keep the guitar's volume knob down a bit, you can put the amp's volume well past noon without significant distortion. I like the amp to be as close to distorting as possible without complex chords sounding muddy (using the neck pickup). If I want more distortion, I add the bridge pickup and turn up the tone and volume a bit.

I've spent most of today practicing and wish I would have purchased this amp years ago.

RajDonYasser

TDPRI Member
I own several amps and the 5112 gets the most use for recording and gigs. The only time I bring one of my "loud" amps out is when playing venues that don't have a PA system. Like steam-powered and Chicago Matt, I also keep the amp's volume around 2:00 and adjusting the guitars volume knob for cleans or dirty tones.

JazzboxBlues

Tele-Afflicted
Glad to hear it’s still your dream amp. I do like the bigger cabinet and speaker but have no experience with the original cabinet and speaker size. I do prefer Tweed over Silverface Champs. They make great at home amps.

724SP

Tele-Meister
I have whittled down my amp collection to just one...my Victoria 5112. It is a bit of an odd one...has 2 10” speakers in it. Originally there were 2 Jensen’s in it but now I have one Weber Classic Alnico and one WGS 10” speaker. It sounds really amazing, records well, and can keep up with a light-handed drummer. Plus the one volume control is easy for my analog brain to comprehend!
IMG_4386.JPG
IMG_4387.JPG

homesick345

Poster Extraordinaire
I have whittled down my amp collection to just one...my Victoria 5112. It is a bit of an odd one...has 2 10” speakers in it. Originally there were 2 Jensen’s in it but now I have one Weber Classic Alnico and one WGS 10” speaker. It sounds really amazing, records well, and can keep up with a light-handed drummer. Plus the one volume control is easy for my analog brain to comprehend! View attachment 474862 View attachment 474863

Is this 210 arrangement the original cabinet of the 5112?

Status
Not open for further replies.