New Amp Day turns sour.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by leatherbound, Jan 2, 2014.

1. leatherbound

leatherbound Tele-Meister

I purchased a Fender Deluxe Reverb in limited western tolex w/wheat grille. I bought it from Guitar Center and got it today. As soon as I plugged into it and flipped the stand by switch (After letting it power up) it made a terrible noise (like when your reverb tank is being vibrated on stage) and then it abruptly shut off. I pulled the fuse and it was blown. Put a new fuse in it and it powered back up. But as soon as I flipped the stand by switch it makes a continuous nasty loud sound. It didn't blow the fuse this time. Needless to say it is going back to guitar center and I am ordering a new one. Not that it matters but I am sure this was a floor model at another store instead of a new one from the warehouse. Packaging was all messed up, footswitch was in a padded envelop stapled to the inside of the amp, scuffed tolex. I am really disappointed with Guitar Center on this one. In the mean time, does anyone know what the problem is? Does what I describe sound familiar to anyone? Maybe I am not supposed to have one because I went to try one at another GC back in the summer and it wouldn't work in the store.....................

2. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I would say that you are very understanding, that would bother me a lot!

3. bossaholic

bossaholic Friend of Leo's

Ask for a discount on the new once since they sold you an apparent faulty floor model and your troubles on having to bring it back.

4. Scantron08

Scantron08 Tele-Afflicted

Unfortunately, this forum has taught us time and again that the Guitar Center buyer must beware.

5. leatherbound

I was trying to be understanding but it does actually bother me. I already talked to my sales guy and told him even if the fuse fixed it I was bringing it back.

6. leatherbound

Scantron, you are correct. You really have no idea what you are buying from them. You don't know if what you are buying has been sold and returned or what the deal is.

7. leatherbound

It is a beautiful amp though. Nice $1,000 paper weight at the moment!!

8. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

leatherbound

Fuses go wrong for a reason: Something in that Amp is drawing too much current.

Hope the next one works for you first time, every time.

9. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I saw one of those at a local guitar center- looked sweet so hopefully it will sound the same once you get a new one

10. leatherbound

I had been looking at the deluxe reverbs for a while to serve as a backup/smaller gig amp to my Dr Z. When they came out with these it was the icing on the cake. I also want a fender vaporizer!! In red of course!!

11. Prairie Dawg

Prairie Dawg Tele-Meister

Try, before you buy.:lol::lol::lol:

12. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

They do repack a lot of returmed products and try to pass them off as new. Have caught them countless times doing this.

13. gadgetfreak

gadgetfreak Tele-Afflicted

Well I can assure you one thing if your buying from Gc's in Ma your probably getting returns. I haven't gotten a new amp except for the ss22 I just picked up and I am returning it to try out the 68 custom deluxe. But I didn't even open the pedal out of packaging because I knew I was going to just try it for a week. I respect the gear and return it in better condition than I got it, usually it's all dusty and floor models. That's why I was so stoked to actually get a new ss22. Unless you have them order it from the Distribution Center your usually getting a previously used one. They cannot afford to keep too many in stock, at least where I live in Ma. I can assure you that.

That's why you have to insist too get 10-15percent off, if you don't say anything they will ring you up a dusty used amp with ripped corners and chewing gum in the back of cab for the new price

Sucks about your deluxe, nice amp.I almost bought a used one for 550 but was thinking about all my horror stories in the past and declined to pull the trigger. Hope you get what you want and for a good price.

Try and get it shipped from the DC and not the store if you can, that way there's a better chance of it actually being new, but not always.

14. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

Yet, people keep buying garbage from them.

What does that say?

Hmmm.

15. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Some of their stores are well managed and staffed with honest, stand up guys and others are worse than a shady used car salesman when it comes to misrepresenting the condition of gear. It truly is a caveat emptor with those guys.

It's funny gadgetfeak should mention MA. as being a problem spot. The Blues Cube I got from a GC in MA. about a year ago to the day was represented to be in excellent condition yet came with a punked reverb tank, torn and ripped grill cloth, a punctured speaker and knobs missing parts. So it was both cosmetically and operationally little more than a fixer upper that should have gotten their lowest rating not one from the top.

That MA. store lied through it's teeth but my locals guys came to the rescue and the MA. store ended up just giving me the amp for free to repair myself instead of paying to have it repaired. By knowing exactly what it needed and being able to do the work I ended up with a great deal in the end but believe me it was a huge shock to see the amp I paid for in that condition when it arrived.

I know how you feel leatherbound. Just stay after them until they make it right!

16. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Did you make sure all the tubes were all seated correctly after shipping and speaker wire was hooked up cleanly. Tubes can come loose during shipping.

17. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

About a year and 1/2 ago, I caught Guitar Center in the act of passing around defective gear. Instead of putting a REPAIR tag on something defective, it goes to another store and right back on the available inventory list. I guess they think someone, sooner or later is going to keep it?? Three stores were involved in the scam that I found. The local store here, one in N. Carolina and one in N. Jersey. I tracked the path of something I returned by the SN#.

They are also terrific for not giving you the accessories that are supposed to come with an item, even when they confirm what you are getting before it ships.
    How many GC's do this? I have no clue but I avoid them if at all possible for anything. I'm sure they come through a good % of the time but it's sure hard for me to trust an outfit those does this.

18. J Hog

J Hog Tele-Holic

After 30 + years in retail music I learned a VERY important lesson... as dodgy as some companies QC is, if it works and sounds good, TAKE THE FLOOR MODEL!!! If you take the one from the warehouse in the box things like this can and will happen.

19. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

The 4 close to me ALL do this, I actually believe it's GC policy to lie, cheat and steal

20. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

This. Although it's very rare that I buy new gear, if I love the one on the floor, I buy that one. Complete with dust and a scratch or two. If it's a guitar I usually find out if they have others in stock and play a few of the same model just to compare.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.