New Amp Day - I’m not telling, you have to look

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
9D145EC9-562E-4190-9DFB-52B8E50DD5F9.jpeg

EDB4D598-15C2-450D-8F5B-71B241EEB9EF.jpeg

I didn’t build this one, though that might be fun to try. The seller I bought this from calls them Ampoid, and you can buy them from a few different websites including Reverb.

They looked fun, they’re fairly cheap and I wanted something for when I want to play relatively quietly and don’t care what it sounds like.

No controls; you turn it on by plugging in and control volume/gain with your guitar’s volume control(s). Turning down does clean up nicely but you’ll lose a lot of volume looking for a particularly “clean” tone. I find that a guitar with a bass cut control fares a lot better here, as rolling off some bass cleans up the tone without sacrificing as much volume overall.

The cleaner tones are fairly lo-fi, as you might expect, and dirty tones are raunchy. A humbucker or neck-position single coil may be a little smoother but not by much. This thing is rude.

In terms of volume I’d classify it as harmless-but-annoying to a civilian in the same room and perhaps a hair above just noticeable from the next room.

This thing is fun and a nice complement to my Danelectro Honey Tone.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
Here’s the question — Can you get someone to fan the lid to achieve a wah effect?

It works, but it's subtle. Closing the lid doesn't change the tone much so much as just make it quieter.

I used to have a Lil Smokey amp. Got some great sounds out of it by putting at the bottom of an aluminum garbage can and rocking out. :)

zinky-recycled-cigarette-pack-smokey-amp-2_grande.jpg

I've been curious about these!

GreatDaneRock

Tele-Afflicted
Nice, no pic of the innards? I turned my phone to read the little card included, it says to carefully remove "speaker baffle" (that's a stretch). I would love to see the inside.

redchapterjubilee

Tele-Meister
I gots one of those ampoids and in cinnamon too! I use it mostly to test while I’m soldering on guitars or pedals. But it’s a wild card for layering in overdubs. I’ve done that a time or two and it really cuts through a mix.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
Nice, no pic of the innards? I turned my phone to read the little card included, it says to carefully remove "speaker baffle" (that's a stretch). I would love to see the inside.

I'm curious too (and I'll have to eventually to replace the battery), but yeah, not sure how to go about removing that without at least scuffing up the grill cloth.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
lol I have mine. Both love and hate it. I hate not being able to get a clean sound lol. But it’s small, reliable. When I go play shows and used to tour. I’d keep it in my guitar case. Hanging out before we play the stage. It’s fun to plink around on.