1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New amp day Fender Princeton Bordeaux 112

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by The-Kid, Dec 31, 2019.

1. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

It all started on Dec 20th 2019.

I walk into GUITAR CENTER to take in my Classic Series for fret work. Left my guitar with the tech and then played a few amps and called Fender HQ to see whats up with warranty. They said its all cool but apparently this GC has no Fender certified tech and apparently they cant even work on my strat. Puzzled as to why they even took my strat if they cant even meet warranty because of lack of certified Fender tech I asked for my guitar back....

Then I saw the Princeton Limited Bordoux. Didnt much like the color because it reminds me of those ChampXD (which I dont particularly like) and they had a similar wine red appointment done.

Wasnt really going to play to buy or anything just pluged in because I came with a friend and we wanted to jam a bit at the GC while we were there. It was just for Shs and gigles...but as soon as I played the first chord me and my friend just looked at each other. It felt like all the people at GC just stoped and listend for a bit. Even cranked the sucker and the sales guys didnt mind cuz it was too dope. They just stared back and smiled and gave a thumbs up.

Wicked Games, Roy Orbison, Shadows, Beach boys tones all in one box.

It was love at first site and the rest is history

Didnt get it cuz it looked cool. I personally think its rather ugly.....but it sounds so damn good

After trying out a SuperSonic 60 for about 2 weeks after getting it new, now decided to take it back for one of these.

The thing was I felt the OD to be too noisy for my needs and felt as far as OD went the Vox AC15C1 has me covered with OD approaching similar volumes especially with my slew of OD pedals and Fuzz.

And as lush and serine as the Cleans and verb were on the SuperSonic 60 the Princeton provides even more lush and serine clean tones and verb.

Decided to spend a few more bucks and cash in on the Princeton Bordouex with 12 Alnico Jenson. Played another Bordoux just like this one that wasnt biased as hot and a Princetone Tweed with Celestion G1265 but felt this one was the top of the choice. Also played a couple 68 princetons and they were great but definatly didnt pack the warmth of this one or as lush verb.

Never tried one before but have tried stock Princetons before and I have to say these are a major improvement on an already amazing amp.

The 12 provides more oohm and just the right ammount of air movement.

Also compared to a Deluxe Reverb and for me while the cleans were comprable the verb on the Princetone to me was a bit more lush and boingy on the Princeton.

Definately doesnt move as much air but packs a powerful tone punch. I also felt the Princeton to be a bit less treble prone and alot warmer and mid heavy but still retaining that high end slinky Fender feel.

Although the Deluxe moves more air at 22 watts and breaks up more and somehow sooner, the Princeton to me retained more headroom and articulation and didnt break up as much as the Deluxe Verb can at full 10 volume. Not good or bad from either amp but I prefered the retention of articulation and a bit less breakup when pushed.

The Jenson performs masterfully. This speaker is the key to unlocking these amazing sounds in this amp.

Never really liked the P12Q on a Deluxe or other amps Ive tried it through but it fits right in here in this little amp perfectly as far as tone goes. Really full of mids bass, without being boomy and the super relaxed high end make it a perfect fit for the Princeton which can be treble heavy sometimes in stock mode.

I can easily use this amp with the trebl all the way up and bass down and not sound ice picky. Very spongy tone while retaining proper warmth and treble.

Tried the Tweed Princeton with a Celestion G1265 not to be confused with a Creamback G12M65 and although it was great I loved this thing way more. Also had a chance to get a super mint Bassman Reissue with manual and the paper advertisement on the top of the amp that describes it and all clean barely used....for 800 bucks. A stupid steal....

But ultimately just couldnt get as lush or warm silky tones as I was getting with the Princeton.

Kind of sad that the SuperSonic didnt work out but I am satisfied with the OD on my VoxAC15 that can get just as heavy with OD pedals and has a much lower noise floor and the Princetone has got me covered on cleans....not that the Vox cant do good cleans....

But there just isnt beating a Princeton for Cleans or articualtion even crancked.....it retains great clarity and note structure.

Its just friggin amazing and Im glad I played one of these special editions and have it in the herd.

The Vibrato is better on the Vox and the Vox has warmer cleans as opposed to the Slinkier more hifi treble tone of the Fender but the Vox aint never ganna get cleans like the Princetone and the Princeton aint ever ganna get cleans like the AC15C1 and its friggin nice to havboth on tap.

The AC15C1 verb isnt garbage and is quite good but I have to say the Princetons is better without a doubt and to me has a slight edge even over the Twin and Deluxs verbs.

OD tones the AC15 wins for sure too.

They are kind of even tonewise in that respect.

Overall really surprised at how the AC15C1 hung with the SuperSonic 60 and in some senses was better for me regarding OD.

But in the end super glad I got this sucker and its a keeper for life. My first MIA Fender amp. Ganna pass this one down to the Nephew or Grandchildren lol. Aint ganna leave my side till the day I die.

Ended up costin 1,007$ after discount but well worth that godly/heavenly tone.

Im at the front of pearly gates fellas.

Or should I say....NiRvana...

Buddah not included.

Pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

drlucky, stevemc, studio1087 and 17 others like this.
  2. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

Definately not as ugly/stupid looking as the Tweed version but still ugly. Looks like cheap old leather and the grill looks like my cat pissed on it out of the box

But damn it sounds amazing.

Trust me

Did try the tweed verison with G1265 but just didnt sound as good. Only would have been 20 bucks more after discount so didnt really go Bordeaux for the money or the looks as I believe to be rather ugly, but its just amazing and sounds too dope.

Could have gotten a Deluxe for the same money, moves more air but to me the Princetone was that sound in my head Ive been looking for lately. Deifnately a keeper for life for that sound.

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Great one there. Nice. ! Popped a cream in mine. Love mine .

The-Kid likes this.
  4. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

Its amazing in tonal nirvana.

uriah1 likes this.
  5. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I sort of like the wine and wheat look.

My wife saw them, and told me "That is ugly. I like the black and silver better!"

Oh well.

Congrats on your new amp.

Grateful Ape and The-Kid like this.
  6. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

...if the ugliness really starts to bother you can just send it to me,reckon I could lov...er live with it....

That Cal Webway, The-Kid and Deathray like this.
  7. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I recall reading that the Supersonic 22 was the winner in that amp line. Nice Princeton, BTW. I like the color myself.

The-Kid likes this.
  8. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I'd have to paint it black and put a silver grill cloth on it. :)

The-Kid likes this.
  9. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

I know I Know

Hahaa me too...

But ima keep her stock. First MIA purchase.

beagle likes this.
  10. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

It is growing on me....glad this one sounded better than the tweed one though....I just couldnt stand seeinf tweed on a Blackface.

Went to 2 different GC to try out 4 different Princetons and this one was definatly a cut above. 2 Bordouex and 2 Tweeds. All in the ballpark but this for me came on top. Biased just right out of the factory. Super lush.

Over here on a little assigment....but thought id post this here to say a friendly hello to new friends.

Cheers and glad to see a familiar face to keep me some comfort :)

11. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

@Pcolen

Yeah it was a Super Sonic 60. Was great but ive been playing alot of surf and spagheti type stuff lately and really wanted that from the SS.

From the OP just went to GC for some work to be done on my guitar and played with a friend to jam. Had I not gone in for the repair I would have never played it and stuck with the Super Sonic 60 but by chance I did.

First chord it was amazing. Like everyone at GC just stoped for a second and came around to listen, me and my friend looked at each other in awe. I cranked it and it was friggin loud and normally thr GC guys come and say something but it sounded so damn good they just stared back gave a smile and a thumbs up.

Went home and although I got close with a delay pedal and verb just wasnt the same or felt as good or sounded as good as the Princeton.

Plus as good as the OD is on the Super Sonic the AC15C1 surprisingly out ODed the Super Sonic for me and provided a lower noise floor at the same volume.

Ultimately this sealed the deal and I returned the Super Sonic and got the Princeton.

Couldnt be happier.

12. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Wow! I guess what they say is true.... 'there's no accounting for taste'.

I LUV wine/wheat so much I built my own!
    IMG_20191222_181319.jpg

And I hate black/silver so much I changed out the grill cloth when I made my 12" baffle to cane.
    IMG_20190515_122247.jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    stormsedge, KT89, Uncle Daddy and 2 others like this.
  13. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

Okay okay....

Its growing on me. Learning to apprciate it. Maybe as I mature I will like it more and more

Oi that black one wheat is hot!
    They should have made it like that primo

14. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Would everyone please quit posting Princetons on here! I’m not sure how much longer I can hold out!!
    ...WANT.

congratulations, HNAD!

15. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

Thanks man. Yeah everyone thinks its dope. May have been to harsh on it but its starting to grow on me

Deathray likes this.
  16. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I played one at a Guitar Center few years ago, and it is fantastic!!

Congratulations

The-Kid likes this.
  17. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had one once and stupidly sold it. Would love to find another one, but it has to be used. I'm not spending a grand on it. Good luck finding a used one.... And I loved the way it looked, the wine/wheat look.

The-Kid likes this.
  18. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Have to respectfully differ with you. I think that thing's gorgeous. I love the idea of a 12" speaker in it too. Really happy for you that you found something you like that much. If I had money...and needed an amp...I would definitely try one just on your review of it.

The quest for a good amp that has "our sound" is, to me, a long and arduous one. I was never fully happy with my amps until I tried a tweed Champ clone with a 12" ceramic speaker. I had a wonderful tweed Vibrolux clone that thereafter got very little mileage, in spite of being more expensive and having rich, lush tube tremolo. Enjoy, my friend!

The-Kid likes this.
  19. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Great amp. I purchased one in mint condition for a really good price then decided I needed to try a Stapleton '62 reissue after hearing his tone on "I was wrong".

When I played the Brownface I was instantly disappointed and greatly preferred the Bordeaux Princeton.

The 6G2 is a really cool amp and it does what it does amazingly, but I just discovered it wasn't my sound. That was an interesting learning experience. That just because I like the way somebody else sounds with their equipment doesn't necessarily mean that it's a sound that suits me.

I didn't need or want 2 amps so I sold the Bordeaux and knew it was a mistake right away. At least I was able to sell the Stapleton for what I paid to a guy who absolutely loved it.

Realizing I prefer the blackface sound I ended up getting a '64 Princeton clone which is pretty close to that Bordeaux, except for about twice what I paid for the Bordeaux.

When will I ever learn?

The-Kid and uriah1 like this.
  20. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Congrats..

The-Kid likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.