New amp day...Fender 64 Princeton Reverb hand wired.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jared Purdy, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Zercado

Zercado TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Very nice amp and I am definitely thinking about getting one. Do you know if the baffle is screwed in like the original? It would make it easier to put in a 12” speaker if I wanted to in the future. Thanks

Jared Purdy likes this.
  2. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Meister

Not kidding.
    I‘ve found the PRRI sterile sounding, strange vibration noise from the cab and a hot running PCB (fortunately the PRRI has got separate tube sockets). The parts are also on the cheap side. Sold this amp after two weeks luckily.

My >40 years old SF Princeton was completely different sounding- full of complex harmonics, lively, silky highs and wooden basses. Beautiful.
    That’s my personal experience, it‘s not only the handwired/PCB thing, it’s also old/new but that‘s a different story.

@Jared Purdy:
    I know Swarts, I owned an AST Master and the STR Tremolo (I liked the latter a lot more), absolutely true, they‘ve got a special mid bite.
    Meanwhile my favourite amp is the BF/SF Champ because they‘re the most honest and most dynamic amps I know. They’ve got no latency. A Champ just amplifies your natural guitar tone, but that‘s also a different story ;)

Again- the handwired Princeton is for sure a very fine amp, good to see Fender won‘t forget us tube nerds!

Kitarkus and Jared Purdy like this.
  3. Manok

Manok TDPRI Member

silky highs and wooden basses.. that's what i feel with my new PR64HW :)

4. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

QUOTE="stefanhotrod, post: 9622632, member: 131586"]Not kidding.
    I‘ve found the PRRI sterile sounding, strange vibration noise from the cab and a hot running PCB (fortunately the PRRI has got separate tube sockets). The parts are also on the cheap side. Sold this amp after two weeks luckily.

My >40 years old SF Princeton was completely different sounding- full of complex harmonics, lively, silky highs and wooden basses. Beautiful.
    That’s my personal experience, it‘s not only the handwired/PCB thing, it’s also old/new but that‘s a different story.

@Jared Purdy:
    I know Swarts, I owned an AST Master and the STR Tremolo (I liked the latter a lot more), absolutely true, they‘ve got a special mid bite.
    Meanwhile my favourite amp is the BF/SF Champ because they‘re the most honest and most dynamic amps I know. They’ve got no latency. A Champ just amplifies your natural guitar tone, but that‘s also a different story ;)

Again- the handwired Princeton is for sure a very fine amp, good to see Fender won‘t forget us tube nerds![/QUOTE]

Edited:

Deleted my point by pount breakdown of your gatekeeping nonsense. It's not new, it happens in every hobby. No one takes cork sniffers seriously.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 8:21 AM
    Florida Sam likes this.
  5. stefanhotrod

Edited:

Deleted my point by pount breakdown of your gatekeeping nonsense. It's not new, it happens in every hobby. No one takes cork sniffers seriously.[/QUOTE]

You may call me a cork sniffer or whatever, I don‘t care. Cool you‘re happy with the more mainstream oriented stuff!

6. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I think you're forgetting maybe the most important part that affects the cost of a handwired amp; either boutique or Fender's models: labor differences. It takes way more labor hours to construct a handwired amp compared to non-handwired one. Not sure I believe Fender's rep saying that it takes 8 times longer to build a handwired one that I saw on youtube, but it doesn't take much thought to know it does take more time, regardless if it's 2,3,4 or 8 times more than a non handwired model, regardless of brand. You're right, parts are relatively cheap, labor isn't.

7. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

I'm aware and I agree.

My post was in regards to steph saying that PRRIs are overpriced. Anyone can get one tyd for 850... I asked him to calculate how much it would cost him to source all of the individual parts and compare it to the 850...my point being that they are affordable.

then we got into the pcb vs handwired nonsense and I just threw my hands up.

8. stefanhotrod

I meant PRRI versus vintage SF (sorry for typo). A new PRRI gets you in the ballpark of a late 70‘s SF.

The „pcb vs. handwired nonsense“, lol

31D41605-7B0D-4008-816C-B6F1ED0661C0.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 4:28 AM
  9. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

It appears to be screwed in. The baffle, is actually one of the more baffling things about the amp, and it may turn out to be the only baffling thing: It appears to be made of MDF, not plywood! If anyone can verify this, I'd love conformation. Short of taking the amp apart, I'm not sure how to tell.

From the inside of the amp via the back, it has no grain, and is totally smooth, like MDF. It's paint black.

I am really enjoying the amp. It works well with both single coils and humbuckers, though with the latter the bass needs to be adjusted when the neck position is used.

Zercado likes this.
  10. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

You realize that isn't a prri chassis right?

:lol:

You seem to continuously miss the point.

11. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I believe that original BF combo amps used MDF for baffles. I guess Fender is making these baffles more like the vintage amps.

I definitely want another PR, a vintage SF or one of the new HW PR’s. I’ll be watching for one in the stores near me.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  12. stefanhotrod

No, I‘m sure this is a PRRI board, „fasteddie“.
    Are you serious? That picture is just an example. Man, anyway, ignore me, okay? Life’s too short for such boring ********.

13. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

No it isn't.

You're looking at tube sockets that are mounted on a pcb (bad design imo) which the prri doesn't have. That picture is likely an amp from the hot rod series...

Not to mention that's clearly not a blackface style chassis.

Look at where the board is in relation to the tube socket holes.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 10:09 AM
    gridlock likes this.
  14. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Yup - that burnt photo appears to be a Blues Junior. Totally separate thing.

15. markos

markos TDPRI Member

I just checked my original 64 Deluxe, and it doesn't really look like plywood. Seems more like MDF to me. I also checked my Vox AC15c1, which I know is MDF: the Vox baffle is actually a little smoother textured than the Deluxe.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  16. stefanhotrod

Omg, again, this picture is just an example from an unknown amp. I‘ve owned a PRRI that‘s why I know what I‘m talking about (and know what the PCB Board on the PRRI looks like)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 1:14 PM
  17. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I'm also not sure how a picture from an unknown amp (which has now been identified) is related to the original issue?

LuthRavin, gridlock and Jared Purdy like this.
  18. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Interesting, I would (no pun intended!!) have figured it would have been made from plywood. When was MDF invented?

19. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

More like particle board.

20. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Opinions are certainly not empirical and are only data in the aggregate. Confusing the two is how we ended up where we are.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.