New amp day...Fender 64 Princeton Reverb hand wired.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jared Purdy, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Amps, and instruments are as close to the explanation of alchemy as anything: the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Quantification will not explain the magic, but qualification will get you closer.

2. Jared Purdy

So it's a good thing that they have wired them individually to the board for the 64' hand wired reissue, I suppose.

3. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Well I would suggest the opposite. In bigger amps, these filter caps are located in a "dog house" underneath the chassis, all by themselves. In that case, if they explode the mess is contained to that small area. In your case, if one explodes the mess is all over the chassis.

Edit to add: I've not seen an exploded cap can.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  4. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

The leftover stain of an exploded filter cap under the dog house cover. Tasty lookin’, huh?

[​IMG]

OP I wouldn’t worry about an exploding filter cap in your new amp for now. They should last a good while, I would hope

Nice amp, congrats!

Jared Purdy and AlbertaGriff like this.
  5. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Should also add that plenty of amps DO have them inside the chassis.

6. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

Please, never mind. I sent a link earlier of what you are looking for, but didn’t realize it would be difficult.
    Sometimes we assume too much technical knowledge- not my intent.
    Enjoy the amp!
    I see someone else has answered my question...thanks! The cap can is in fact just one way to accomplish the goal. I would prefer just having them inside the chassis, as it is easier and cheaper to service 10 years down the road. My question was strictly for historical perspective.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020 at 12:51 AM
    Jared Purdy likes this.
  7. Manok

Manok TDPRI Member

fender are not that dum, they know that today a lot of people are opening they re amp to see what's inside, they wont risk to put cheap part in it, they are aware of all the other boutique brand, and don t forget by triyng to make a princeton better better and better.. the result is that it doesn't sound like the princeton anymore :)) like in the 90's by making better strat's we finish to have 1000 crap super strat guitars...... :)))

Jared Purdy likes this.
  8. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

I tweaked my PRRI into a Princeton Twin Reverb.
    Built a new cab for it.
    IMG_20191222_175908.jpg
    IMG_20200104_125556.jpg
    IMG_20191223_112511.jpg

9. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Meister

Congrats, very nice amp!
    I‘ve owned the PRRI (insane price for a PCB amp by the way) and found it sterile sounding. Your handwired version is for sure better sounding, still the price makes me think- it‘s in the boutique range and you‘re able to get a vintage original for less...

Jared Purdy likes this.
  10. Manok

Manok TDPRI Member

Nope a vintage 64 in perfect condition is way more than 3000.. that s the point

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  11. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I got similar feedback when I bought my '64 Custom Deluxe reverb...except I'm in the UK and finding a mint used Deluxe for anything close to what my 're-issue' cost was impossible. Even then I would have no idea if it was original or had been modified, plus it may then need further money spent on it to make it reliable.

I think some of the detractors don't understand the target buyer's mindset: In my case I wanted new, I wanted a Fender (kit amps and obscure boutique amps* may not sell very well over here and would probably lose a lot more money if I had reason to sell) and I wanted an amp that could be repaired easily in future: I've been burned with amps/other products that were just 'throw away' once anything went wrong with them.

Finally; I'd waited 30 years to finally get a Blackfaced Fender amp after playing through a Twin back in the 1980s when I could barely afford a budget practice amp. I wanted to feel good about the purchase and it makes me feel good playing it...we're musicians after all, so mood and feelings certainly has an impact on me, even if logically there might be reasons to have bought a '65 DRRi (though it wasn't that much cheaper at the time
    anyway).

* I know there are a number of respected builders on here, but I asked around some of my UK guitar playing friends as a test and non of them had heard of the makes spoken of on here. It's hard selling something for decent money if no one knows what it is.

markos likes this.
  12. Manok

Manok TDPRI Member

i totally agree with you Kelvin, do i had a lot of clone made by big brands,
    i know that in the UK you have RIFT amps that make's very good fender amps but's it's a copy and even if it's better it still a copy,
    some cars Korean builders can make a better FERRARI but it's not a FERRARI :)))
    Suhr make s a better STRATOCASTER! but did Suhr made the history off rock n roll?
    who knows where will be Louis electric, vintage sound, rift amps....... in 30 years??
    Fender will still be there for sure.. and a 64 handwired amp will keep it's value..point

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020 at 5:35 AM
  13. markos

markos TDPRI Member

Very true. When I lived in the US there were so many options available, like the ones people talk about on the forums, but as soon as you are outside the US, then the options just aren't out there. They'll say "just" get a vintage one, as if there even are any around, much less for competitive prices. That's just not our reality overseas. Kit amps have very little resale value, so even the TAD option needs to be considered carefully. These hand-wired Fenders make perfect sense over here. I'm lucky that I brought two vintage BF amps with me when I moved, but they are quite rare, esp. the small ones. I just never see any vintage Fenders smaller than a Deluxe. I totally understand people over here buying these new handwireds. I hope you'll enjoy yours for years to come.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  14. Manok

Manok TDPRI Member

And also the dc power which is 220v/240 volts in europe

KelvinS1965 and markos like this.
  15. Jared Purdy

Thanks, and I'm not worried. I had a 74' PR (up until a couple of years ago). It was stock, and had no issues at all, aside from dirty pots that had to be cleaned. That amp was over forty years old a running perfectly.

dannyh likes this.
  16. Jared Purdy

Thanks, and no worries. I did flip the amp over, and used a flashlight to see what I could see. They're using a protective metal cage over most of the tubes now so it's a bit dicey looking inside without taking off the back panel and the tube cage. That being said, I didn't see a cap can that looked anything like the one in the image that was contained in the link that you attached.

17. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

You're kidding right?

How much does a tolexed cabinet, speaker, chassis, tubes, and components cost? I challenge you to actually crunch the numbers.

You can buy a PRRI for 850 tyd from many of the retail outfits.

Your pcb vs handwired rhetoric is really misinformed.

rob5755 likes this.
  18. Jared Purdy

I've seen quite a few originals, but most of them were either pretty beat up, or had the speakers replaced. I wasn't ga ga over them, likely because of the condition they were in. All of them sounded "fine" when plugged in, but I kept asking what was different in the tone with the mods that had been done. I saw one at a local store about two weeks ago, it was $2500CDN, and was in reasonable shape, but the speaker had been replaced.

Yes, the 64' PR is in the boutique range, but, it's also got the build quality of a boutique amp, and that counts for something. My last boutique amp was a Swart AST MkII 112 with a Celestion Gold. The amp was fabulous, build quality bar none, very nice to look at too. Looked classy in the living room, with its two tone lacquered tweet cover, and my Custom Shop Strat parked next to it. No one ever came in to the house and said, "Oh, get that beat up piece of crap out of here!!".!! However, I had difficulty bonding with the tone, and I had two of them over a several year period. It's got quite a bit of mid bite, which would be fabulous in a band mix, but I found it too much in my living room with me sitting six feet from it. I suspect one of his smaller amps would be a better fit as a play-at-home amp. Twenty watts is a lot.

The 64'PR has the tone that I like, it's physically the perfect size for picking in the living room, and has very responsive volume and tone controls. As we know, it does not break up until you dial it in at about 8/10, and that is very, very loud in a house. What it makes me think about getting is a ES335. That's a guitar that is made for an amp like a PR.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020 at 10:50 AM
    KelvinS1965 likes this.
  19. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Exactly; I recently found some used Blackfaced Champs* for sale at less than I could buy the Custom shop '57 Champ for, but they were 110 volt versions. That either means dragging around a separate drop down transformer, or modifications to the original internal transformer.

* I use a cheap Champ Clone for open mic stuff in small bars and sometimes get tempted to buy 'the real thing' but it's more that I like the Tweed cab I think. In the clone case it was so cheap that I'm not worried about resale.

20. markos

markos TDPRI Member

I'm surprised you even found any vintage Champs. I've never seen them in Denmark, nor Princetons. Yeah, for what you want to use such an amp for you'd want it converted to 240, which for me would be easy because I'm handy with the soldering iron, but if you take it to a shop, that's gonna cost you to have a 240 tranny installed. It's extra time and money. In Denmark shop rates are insane.

KelvinS1965 and Manok like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.