New amp day...Fender 64 Princeton Reverb hand wired.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jared Purdy, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I suggest you buy one, rent one, or borrow one and test it, and then post your empirical observations. As an engineer, that is something that you ought to understand. I bought one, and I posted my observations. I don't see a lot of observations from anyone who has bought borrowed or even played one. So I'll rest my case until someone comes along with more than hearsay.

2. Manok

Manok TDPRI Member

i bought one... i had a Magnatone twillighter, a two rock studio pro, deluxe (RI) priceton(RI)vibrover63(RI), Matchless 15 w, 65 tupelo, morgan pr 12 etc... matchless where the most impressive amps i had but, too heavy and too loud for clubs!!!15 w!! :))
    but i always missed the voice of the Princeton wich i love... every guitar i plug into sound different, the touch sensitivity of this 64hw is incredible, the note sustain for hours with good pick up, this amp as nothing to do with the reissue, in terms of cuting the mix in a band situation.
    the sound is very present,
    the immortal question if it works in a band situation??
    every amps work on stage, and in very small places every amps struggle, exept a hot rod deluxe!! wich will crush even a dual rectifier!!
    so this amp is an INSTRUMENT with a unique and beloved sound, it's loud enough for mike Campbell with the full Heartbreakers Band:))
    but won't be at the barbecue for the 4 july :))???
    than you ll have to place the amp correctly but sincerly this 12 w are the loudest 12w i ever experienced, no worry for rehalsing with a band, and i prefer a lot the character of the princeton than the DR who for me is cold,
    it's Light, build like a Tank and very loud, enough headroom (but nowadays who's is playing with a thin clean sound like LIVE AID's years?? we all want a little break up :)) isnt it?
    so it's perfect wattage...
    for me this amp is a kepper and plus it's the real thing.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  3. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

It is easy enough to find if it has a cap can: turn it upside down and look for the cylindrical can hanging like the transformers. Reference in the link below. If none appears, the caps are located in the chassis (which is actually better IMO).
    https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/capacitor-ce-mfg-475v-20202020-f-electrolytic

BobbyZ and Jared Purdy like this.
  4. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

OK. Now you have my attention. No way I could do that with my old PRRI...and I tried all sorts of remedies: different 10" and 12" speakers, bigger pine cab, beefed up David Allen OT, bigger 1st stage filter cap. They all improved it to varying degrees, but I could never completely get rid of the flub. I eventually sold it and moved on to an Allen Accomplice Jr (DR clone). It's a great sounding amp. But I do miss the Princeton.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  5. Jared Purdy

I did too. I changed the baffle in my PRRI, put in a Celestion Gold, changed the OT (Dave Allen OT like yourself) and put in NOS tubes. In the end, I sold it. Nothing worked. The 64', it's a keeper. I'd love to hear it in a band mix. It's glorious sounding, and just looking in the back inspires a feeling of confidence that it's very well built - in spite of the many negative comments aimed at Fender in general, and the Custom Shop in particular. One of these days I'll pop the chassis and post some photos.

KelvinS1965 and BlueCajun like this.
  6. Jared Purdy

The chassis would have to be removed to see that though. Maybe tomorrow. Don't have time to do that today.

7. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

I built one from a kit with a 12" speaker, and did most of Robrobs recommend swaps. Beefier filter caps and trannies, it sounds astonishing. Whether it still sounds like a "genuine" version I couldn't really say, but no flub or rattly breakup, and it's waaay better than the PRRI I tried.
    The new 64 doesn't have a cap can, according to the pics I saw. The board has been extended to fit 4 individual caps like a Tweed amp.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

On the PR vs DR debate as to weather one or the other is better for gigging.
    IT DEPENDS ON YOUR GIGGING !
    After getting a PR I pretty much stopped using the DR altogether.
    That's me.
    There's guys that wouldn't even think about an amp as small and under powered as a Deluxe Reverb for gigging too. Often saying 40 watts is the minimum they'd even consider.
    That's them.

Honestly if I could only own two BF type Fender reverb amps it'd be a Princeton and a Twin Reverb. I should do that. I could simplify my life by unloading the BFDR, SFSR, BFSR and one TR. I'd likely keep the SFTR and unload the BFTR.
    But I hate selling amps, my girls can do that when I'm dead. :)

9. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

No you don't; just flipping it upside down will reveal its existence or lack thereof.

But it sounds like you're unwilling so don't bother.

10. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

It doesn't - it uses separate caps on the board. There's been photos posted of the internal construction of the amp already in several places.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  11. Jared Purdy

It's certainly easy enough for me to flip the amp over. I've got no idea what I'm looking for though. Presumably a cylindrical shaped something that is metal, and not a tube. Narrows it down a bit.

12. Jared Purdy

I'm not even sure what any of this means. Presumably the period "correct" way would be the way you've describing, with separate caps on the board?

13. corliss1

Jared Purdy likes this.
  14. Jared Purdy

15. corliss1

It's neither - it's just a different way to get capacitors in the amp. The parts don't care if they are in a can or on a board - they filter the power supply just the same. Putting them all on the board is significantly cheaper in both parts and construction as the cans are around $40 each currently, so it makes sense for Fender to put individual parts on the board.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  16. corliss1

Here's a standard PRRI - might as well throw one of these in this thread:

Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 10.56.47 PM.png

17. Jared Purdy

Thanks for that explanation. Appreciated.

18. corliss1

So your main differences:

-"custom" text on the faceplate
    -cabinet is Pine on the '64
    -control pots are hand wired on the '64 vs a board
    -PCB vs eyelets for the main board

Chassis, transformers, connectors, knobs, handle, speaker (depending on PRRI you're talking about), switches, all parts on the board but the tone caps (from what I'm seeing in the photos and Fender's description) are the same between the amps. All tube sockets are still hand wired on the PRRI. If those differences matter to you, that's what's important, not what some crazy amp guy on the internet says :D

Jared Purdy likes this.
  19. Jared Purdy

As an aside, what did Fender do in the 60's. Cap can, or individual on the board?

20. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Cap can. And the one downside I can think of, with them inside the chassis, is if they explode, which can happen due to age or other failure.

Jared Purdy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.