1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Amp Day: 5F1 Tweed Champ project completed!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by stormin1155, Nov 13, 2020.

1. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Holic

I've always wanted to build an amp... I thought a 5E3 (Fender Tweed Deluxe), but then I ran across one already built on Craigslist for less than the cost of parts, so I set my sights on 5F1 (Fender Tweed Champ). When COVID hit I thought it would be the perfect opportunity since I had time on my hands. I ordered the parts from Franklyn Amps and set to it....

First off I have to tell you, I am NOT an electronics guy. I can follow a simple diagram... the red wire goes here and the yellow wire goes there sort of thing. As I was working on it, I thought to myself that I would be amazed it it actually worked. Well, when the moment of truth came, I wasn't amazed, and the thing sat on a shelf until a few days ago when I finally swallowed my pride and gave it to my buddy, who IS an electronics guy, who went through it and got it working and added some of his own magic.

I retrofitted it into a tweed Pro Junior cabinet running into a vintage 1957 10" Jensen alnico speaker, and I'll have to say, it sounds AMAZING! It has a beautiful sparkly clean tone with the volume up to about 4, where it begins to break up. If you dare push it to the limits it snarls and screams at you like a banshee with it's tail on fire! No wonder the Tweed Champ is one of the most recorded amps ever! I have a couple of Fender modeling amps (Mustang III V2 and Super Champ X2), and I will tell you that the Tweed Champ models sound NOTHING like the real thing. There is a presence and aliveness to it that the modelers just can't capture.

Well, on to the pics. The Pro Jr back panel doesn't really work with this, and I haven't decided what to do about that yet. The last picture is with the 5E3. I'm using a Weber 12a125 speaker in it, and it also sounds amazing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

A happy story, and well told. Nice job!

3. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Happiness is a warm amp.
    Nice pair of tweeds to have.

4. smuc

smuc TDPRI Member

Looks great! Would be great if you could record it a bit, I'm really curious how it sounds!

5. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Well done. For a time there I was sure I would never try building an amp but stories like this are eroding my resolve. Luckily I still have some guitars to build first.

6. smuc

smuc TDPRI Member

Careful with that so that you don't get bitten by the tube bug! ;)

I thought I would just build an amp or two and then stop... I will, just one more and then I'm done! o_O

WalthamMoosical and jman72 like this.
  7. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I presume that has the same logical structure as "Free beer tomorrow" !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.