New Amp choice - Fender?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Lefty Addams, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Hi - I am contemplating a new amplifier and thinking about Fender, a small valve combo is what I'm after. The Hot Rod Deluxe IV, the Blues Jr. IV and the Hot Rod DeVille IV are on my radar.

Never had a Fender amp before, well I say that, I have a little Mini Twin-Amp presently, but that doesn't really count, so my next step is to go and try some, but in the meantime I wanted some opinions/users to get some feedback.

cheers.

2. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    I love the Pro Jr's myself.. gritty, compressed, full of mids... not your typical Fender in my eyes.

nojazzhere and Lefty Addams like this.
  3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

More details on what you play and what you're looking for might be helpful.

4. Lefty Addams

Well the usual you know, rock and blues and bluegrass ..

5. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

If you mic it - Blues Junior. If not, a Hot Rod will get you all the volume you'll ever need. Both have built in reverb, and are pretty much a standard anywhere you go. Tons of used ones out there too (although not sure about the used market on the other side of the pond) if you'd rather look there.

Lefty Addams likes this.
  6. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

I don't think any of these come left-handed. :p

Sorry... nothing of essence to contribute.

LAGinz and Ira7 like this.
  7. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

From one lefty to another.
    We are the very best.
    Looks like we both play Sunburst Teles' too.
    Are you going to gig with the amp or just for at home playing ?

Seasicksailor and Lefty Addams like this.
  8. Lefty Addams

Just at home Lef, just at home, and you are right mate, we are aren't we ..

9. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

If just at home a 65 Princeton Reverb would work well.
    Try a Blues Jr. too.
    If you can play loud,a HRD or Deville or whatever could work too,
    You'll know the amp you want after trying them out at the shops.
    You'll just know.
    Now from one lefty to another.
    I tried the new Roland Blues Cube Stage at the store and was very very impressed.
    I compared it to a 68 DRRI and to me it totally blew the Deluxe away.
    Keep an open mind and try one if you can.
    Tell em Lef T sent you.

MitchMiami and Lefty Addams like this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Then you owe it to yerself to at least try a real Twin!

Anode100, Ira7 and rdwhitti like this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I'm very happy with my Blues Junior III....but the Pro Jr would probably do very well also. Some here have some great suggestions on solid state amps as well.

12. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

I have a Pro Jr, Deluxe Reverb and a Super Reverb and they all sound great and between the three can cover any venue/gig.

13. chickenwings

chickenwings TDPRI Member

All nice amps. Probably the most popular tube amps on the planet collectively and the HRD is the most common backline amp. Try em all out. Just don't buy any until you have also tried a deluxe reverb.

14. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

You really need to try a handful to see what your tastes are. “Fender amps” can have very different voicings depending on whether they are tweed, brownface, blackface, modern designs like the Hot Rod…

For just at home, my impression is that a Deville or even a HR Deluxe would be extremely loud (or more accurately: you would never be able to turn them up to where they sound their best). Same for a Twin, or a Super, and probably a Vibrolux.

My immediate suggestions would be to
    - Try a Princeton reverb or a Deluxe reverb – both are great, classic Fender circuits.
    - Try a (clone of a) tweed Deluxe (or the real thing if you feel inclined to spend 3000$ on a wonderful amp)
    - Even better: consider a Champ – tweed or black/silverface, or maybe both. These little amps sound wonderful – I regard the tweed champ as an essential circuit to have – and at 5W they are loud enough that I can’t crank them at home. Vintage Blackface and Silverface champs can be had for comparatively little money… a SF champ is about the most affordable Fender vintage amp you can have and is in essence the same as a Blackface. Vintage tweed champs have become unreasonably pricey, but there are plenty of excellent clones at reasonable prices.

Whatever you choose to do, spend some time trying some out. There are many Fender sounds and you won’t know which one is right for you until you hear it. As a bonus: it’s fun to explore them.

15. Lefty Addams

Yes thanks, have to say i am intrigued about the Jensen speaker in the Pro Jr. and wonder how that compares tone wise to the usual Celestion.

16. North East Al

North East Al Tele-Meister

Can't do a link on my phone. But YouTube blues jr 3 v blues jr 4 and absolute music do an in-depth between Jensen and Celestion A type.

Lefty Addams likes this.
  17. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

I know very little about Fender amps but I played a few guitars via a Princeton at the weekend and was impressed by the versatility of the sounds available in a modest sized package.

Lefty Addams likes this.
  18. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Its probably best to define what your overall need and requirement is, not for us but for you ! I own all 3 and use them at different times for different events. They are tools.

It's not a question of which is better but rather which is better to serve your needs.

" small valve combo" needs a bit more clarity. You mentioned 3 amps, 15 watts, 40 watts and 60 watts ! They can each serve their master but not in the same way and they are not supposed to.

If you don't need to push a lot of air and want some nice break-up, the Blues Jr is a good choice

If you need to push a bit more air and don't want early break-up, the 40 Watt HRDLX would be a fine consideration

If you need to push even MORE air and don't want early break-up then of course the 60 watt Deville would be the choice.

It's not about volume but rather how much clean air do you want to push. They can all perform at the exact same volume level but cannot produce clean tones at the same levels.

My typical gig I use the 40 watter, BUT, this week I am doing a small show using the Blues JR which will fit the room perfectly, then Sat night I am doing a larger outdoor show where the Deville will be the amp of choice. Mic'd or not, I bring the amp for the venue , I bring the amp I want behind me.

Lefty Addams likes this.
  19. 410DeVille

410DeVille Tele-Meister

I am very impressed with my HR Deluxe IV. Huge improvement over the HRD III.

Lefty Addams likes this.
  20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I agree with others. You need to play them all before you make a decision. Pay attention to what type of power tubes are being used in each amp. Seems to me that people get along with a certain power tube and choose from there.

Chicago Matt likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.