New Amp Advice - Vox or Marshall

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Johnnyboi, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Johnnyboi

Johnnyboi TDPRI Member

Hey there! Been playing a Blackface Princeton Reverb with a 12" Celestion Gold for a whole now and I feel the need and desire to buy a new amplifier.

I just called a guy here locally who had an AC30HW2, a handwired AC30 with two greenback speakers. It got sold yesterday to some other bloke! Anyway, so I'm looking for a new amp and considering an AC30 or maybe some Marshall variant, like a JTM45 or a JMP50 and a cab to go with it.

I'm scouting for good used deals here in Sweden. Still I must say I'm tempted to jump on a new AC30HW2, since they're not that expensive for what you get (about 1200 quid or so). The head is almost as much as the entire combo which makes me steer towards the combo version even though the head+cab version is probably more flexible.

There's a Marshall JTM45 reissue for sale used here too, but I've heard of it being stiff and stuff so I'm sceptical. Seems like Vox are doing a way better job with their reissues with their handwired series at least.

I want a really dynamic/touch sensitive amp with awesome cleans and also a great natural overdrive.
    They cost of the AC30HW is kind of my budget ceiling though so I'm not looking into boutique clones of the Marshalls like the Mojave and stuff like that.

Here's an example of the music I play from one of my two bands, Mojo Harvest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsJCylZyqHs
    Some of my favourite bands and tones are:
    Queens of the Stone Age, Led Zeppelin, Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks, The Doors, Tame Impala, Dungen (awesome swedish band check 'em out), Dead Meadow, Incubus, Hendrix, My Morning Jacket, you get the drill.

Thanks in advance!

2. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

I like the sound of what you have now. But if you must, IMHO your music style sounds suited for a Marshall. Anyway, good stuff!

3. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

It's a tough choice but I too would lean towards the Marshall based on your song and I'm a big Vox fan with two Vox amps and a "Liverpool" Tech-21 character pedal.

A consideration that is a little more cost effective based on my recent experience is either the Bogner Blue or Red Ecstasy pedal, (I recently purchased the Blue...the Red is more intense).

I've been very impressed with the Bogner tones coming out of my old beater Silvertone tube amp, (the pedal apparently works better if you run it in front of a clean tube amp)

These are fairly spendy for pedals, but the Blue pedal comes close to the "Blue Channel" of the Bogner amp, (you are basically purchasing the "Blue" or "Red" channel with these pedals.) So compared to the price of a Bogner amp head it's pretty cost effective.

Just food for thought and you might want to check these out prior to putting that much of an investment into your gear. I also need to give you the caveat that I have not compared the tones, (a/b), with the Bogner amp and pedal. My info. is based on what I have read off the internet and my own ears when I purchased the pedal, (basically Marshall tones but also great clean tones).

Really like the song by the way and keep it going!

4. CyanideJunkie

CyanideJunkie Tele-Holic

You can always get the Vox and then get a Zvex Box of Rock for your Marshall sounds, but methinks you'd be hard-pressed to find a pedal that truly sounds like a Vox amp.

5. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

I own both Vox and Marshall... I prefer the Vox. The Vox amps seem to be more versatile. Though it's hard to beat "that sound" from a Marshall, "that sound" is all you get.

I have a Vox AC15HW (greenback) and an AC30 TB/6 (twin alnico blue) and I think they rock just as hard as my Marshall, but that's just my opinion.

I love the Handwired series. They take pedals well, have loads of volume, are well suited to several genres, and are well built. I've gigged mine for over 2 years and it has never given me any problems. It's deceptively loud and plenty for most venues. Here's a clip of our band playing for a crowd of approximately 2000 people. You can see my AC15HW on the right side of the screen partially hidden behind a monitor. I had the volume up about 1/3, just on the edge of breakup. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAr8qG4qBp0

Hope this helps!

6. klast

klast Tele-Meister

Why don't you try a Laney VC30. It has a nice "Voxy" clean and is footswitchable between clean and drive. The onboard drive, however, may be a bit too weak for your liking.

Klas

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

With your age and talent, you are going to end up with both. I agree with others that your sound is more towards the Marshall, but get the AC30 first, because of cost and versatility.

Good luck!

8. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

I own a Vox AC30HW2 and a Marshall JMP 2204 (50w MV). I like both immensely. So much so, in fact, that for the music my band plays, we use both. I play my Tele into the Vox, and our singer plays a Les Paul into the Marshall. They do cover similar territory, and the old JMP does a lot more than the stereotypical Marshall roar, but blended together the sound is amazing.

After listening to your linked video, I think I would be more apt to recommend the Vox, or perhaps even an Orange AD30TC. Have you given one of those any thought?

9. BobbyB

BobbyB Tele-Afflicted

All great advice here......Marshall is your sound....but Vox AC30 can do that and more.
    The Bogner pedal is an option. I have a MAudio Crunch box which nails the Marshall tone. You may like something like that.
    I would go with the Vox ....versatile and portable...plenty loud...great crunch and clean tones.

10. BobbyB

BobbyB Tele-Afflicted

11. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

I cast my vote for MArshall
    I own a couple of 6100 heads and Vox amps.
    If it's in your budget get a 6100 or 6101 (12" combo) around $800 with the footswitch.
    3 channels of Marshall goodness. 1) Clean Channel, will rival a Fender, 2) Crunch , switchable from clean to massive OD 3) OD channel crushing Marshall Tone.
    Pre-amp Line Out, turn the speaker off and run the line out to a mixing board and play it thru your headphones.
    Best sounding "emulated out" around running ALL (7) 12AX7s.
    Blows my Line 6 rackmount out of the water.
    Effecct loop. 25/59/100 Watt power scaling.
    Master volume, Presence, high/low compensation.

I could go on but the Vox is soooooo limited compared to a 6100.
    There are 3 different models, LE - Limited edition solid brass chassis and logo,
    Standard with EL84 power tubes, LM Lead Model Higher gain 6L6 Power tubes.

12. Johnnyboi

Johnnyboi TDPRI Member

Thank you :) Sometimes the approach of get one and rock out can be the best approach

13. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Matchless or Dr Z

14. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm with the bearded baby. Don't change a thing. If you must, get yourself a puppy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.