1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New American Professional...Struggling with V-Mods

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Shades of Blue, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Tele-Meister

I also thing I’m missing that harmonic trail/ringing at the end of a Strat note when you dig in. Do Teles do this?

2. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

I really like the tone from the vmods. I’ve always been a humbucker type until I got this AmPro about 1.5 years ago and it’s my #1. I wouldn’t trade it for nothing. I’d be interested in acquiring another set if anyone is looking to get rid of them. I’d like to put them in my Squier thinline.

ChickenKiller and Shades of Blue like this.
  3. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

Indeed. My 2017 Ampro ( Olympic White ) has that too, some kind of divine mating in the pocket and all the other components working in concert.

Honestly, it's just so comfortable and feels so good to play and more than the sum of its parts. The specs only tell part of the story.

Your gray guitar is beautiful :)

4. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a new American Professional Stratocaster right after the holidays. I love the look, the feel, and the quality of the guitar, but I also disliked the sound of the V-Mod pickups. Just way too bright for my taste.

I planned on replacing at least the neck pickup right after buying the guitar, but as someone mentioned in an earlier post. I lowered the pickups and the sound of the V-Mod pickups improved considerably.

Now I’ll probably keep the V-Mod pickups in the guitar, even though I prefer the tone of the stock pickups in my older American Standard Stratocaster.

26365828-EF95-46ED-AF3B-EB274B4447F3.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  5. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

I tried at least six different Am Pros before choosing mine. There was a lot of variation. Mine had the biggest neck and was the only one to have low-string twang.

6. Shades of Blue

biggest neck? Shouldn’t they all be the same???

ChickenKiller likes this.
  7. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

I’ve been curious about this too. How consistent are the necks (or any particular part) in a particular line of guitars? Do you have a way to accurately measure your neck? I have a digital caliper. I’d be interested in comparing measurements of several other AmPro Tele necks and see what the consistency is.

8. ChickenKiller

ChickenKiller Tele-Holic

9. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

I ran into weak pickups ( noiseless) on my Nashville Tele. I raised them up a bit, readjusted my Bassbreaker 15 amp, and things livened up:D

10. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nice looking Tele, congrats.

11. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

There's a measure of hand work involved still, one imagines. I found a noticeable difference, especially when you moved up past the 12th.

12. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Necks very a good bit at least I can feel the difference
    For example my jimmy page mirror tele has a first fret measurement of .83
    And I’ve seen them from .79-.86

It might be small but it’s noticeable

Grateful Ape likes this.
  13. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Every guitar has a unique character and tone.

14. Shades of Blue

I don't know why it took me so long to give Teles a chance. I had a Cabronita for a short time many years ago, and I had (and wish I'd kept) a Thin Skin Tele a few years ago. I got that one in a trade with intentions to flip. Had it for a week and wish I still had it.

This thing is awesome and I find it much more versatile than my Strat or LP. The LP is a rocker, and the Strat is a blues machine, but the Tele does both very well. I plan to us this at church should I ever gig again.

ChickenKiller likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.