New American Professional 2 Deluxe Purchase

JBryantfan

TDPRI Member
Finally decided to get an American Professional 2 Telecaster Deluxe in Mercury, rosewood fingerboard.
it is a nice compliment to a regular single coil Tele. I sold a 1976 Les Paul Deluxe which wasn't as good
for the Steve Cropper type stuff I play in addition to the weight of it. The humbucker replaces that sound
when I want it with the comfort of the Tele body. With the proceeds i bought this and a G & L ASAT Fullerton
Classic that I'll be pickin up soon and will put pictures of it on the other Telecaster thread that holds G & L stuff.
I took some advise and brought my single coil into the store to A-B it with the G & L. I didn't do that before.
Made a big difference as I left confident it was different enough from the SC so it won't just sit there,
I'll use both. I must say that G & L is very impressive playing and sounding to me and it IS
a lot better than the Tribute as I played them both side by side as well.

Attachments

• 20220123_095759.jpg
    20220123_095759.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 20220123_095831.jpg
    20220123_095831.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 20220123_095909.jpg
    20220123_095909.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

JBryantfan

TDPRI Member
It is Mercury. I wanted it to look (and sound) different than the yellow/maple single coil I have.
The G & L is 3 tone sunburst/caribbean rosewood, so that will have it's own look too.

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
That is very very nice and congratulations.

Someday when you have time, post a video of going through all the pickup positions!!

JBryantfan

TDPRI Member
That is very very nice and congratulations.

Someday when you have time, post a video of going through all the pickup positions!!
I'm going to have to look in on how to do that first but am interested .
Also, just put pics of new G & l ASAT Fullerton on the other Telecaster thread.

JBryantfan

TDPRI Member
I'm actually on a Tele rampage lately as in addition to this one I just bought a new G & L ASAT Classic, pictures posted on the
other Tele thread. Now looking at Thinlines but can't decide between a 60's single coil, 70's humbucker,
or a G & L Bluesboy.

Somnospeed

Tele-Meister
I did the same as you. I sold my Les Paul Classic and replaced it with a '21 Tele Deluxe. I just found myself using the Les Paul as a "When you need it, ya gotta have it" type of guitar. But the problem is that I just never "need" a Gibson creamy tone in anything I play. I went with this Tele Deluxe for my humbucking needs and find myself playing this on any "Les Paul" songs and it gets the job done but does it in a much clearer tone. No muddy tones whatsoever. And every single setting on the selector, the knobs, and the push/pull is usable. There are literally no dead zones. If I had to pick one guitar for life, I think it might be this Tele Deluxe. Name a tone you really dig and you can probably find it on this guitar, regardless of the genre.

JBryantfan

TDPRI Member
I did the same as you. I sold my Les Paul Classic and replaced it with a '21 Tele Deluxe. I just found myself using the Les Paul as a "When you need it, ya gotta have it" type of guitar. But the problem is that I just never "need" a Gibson creamy tone in anything I play. I went with this Tele Deluxe for my humbucking needs and find myself playing this on any "Les Paul" songs and it gets the job done but does it in a much clearer tone. No muddy tones whatsoever. And every single setting on the selector, the knobs, and the push/pull is usable. There are literally no dead zones. If I had to pick one guitar for life, I think it might be this Tele Deluxe. Name a tone you really dig and you can probably find it on this guitar, regardless of the genre.
Yes and mine was even worse because I had an original with mini Humbuckers. Good guitar but basically the minis in the
LP body = Tele with full Humbuckers. Compared the 2 and both are around the same sound. God rid of the LP Deluxe
and a 12 string Rickenbacker for the AP 2 Deluxe and a G & L ASAT Classic. Much happier now. Agree that the AP2Deluxe
is a great guitar. I tried an original 1974 one but actually like the Shawbuckers better.
I also just created a thread wondering if the 72 Thinline with Humbuckers would sound different than the
one discussed here to make it worth getting since you (and I) love the sound that much.

Last edited:

Creaulx

TDPRI Member
I have one of the previous generation Shawbuckers and just can't seem to get a good tone out of it. I love the look and the neck, but the microphonic pickups drive me nuts, I'm always picking over the neck pickup and getting some clacking. The pickups seem shrill and kinda obnoxious through any amp - I have a Princeton and a Katana 100 MkII. Could it be pickup height?

Attachments

• American Pro Tele Deluxe 2021-07-18-3.jpg
    American Pro Tele Deluxe 2021-07-18-3.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 8