New American Pro II Tele Deluxe- Pickup Issues? Suggestions for New Humbuckers?

shane11111

NEW MEMBER!
Hi Everyone, new member long time Tele lover.

Got a new American Professional II Tele Deluxe in dark night color. It's awesome, like killer, other than having microphonic pickup squeal at higher volumes. See the Youtube video link below...This is gain 6.5 volume 2.5 on my evh 5150 III 50 watt with noise suppressor in x pattern. My les Paul and other guitars make zero noise through this same setup.

Turns out these humbuckers are not potted.. I had my guitar tech wax pot them. It made it better by about 50% but it is still squealing. He explained that the V mod pickups although traditional PAF size are still designed like the wide range humbuckers with the pickup bobbins far apart which he theorizes is allowing the vibration and squeal...

It basically makes the guitar unusable for band settings..even at lower volume and gain settings than I use with a band it has massive feedback issues. Anyone else with experience with the new Fender v mod ll pickups having similar issues? I know the previous generation Tele deluxes with Shawbuckers had a similar issue.

Also, I am thinking of replacing the pickups because I otherwise love the guitar. Bare knuckle stormy Monday, lollar imperial, fralin p-92, Duncan sat night specials are my list of possibilities so far. What do you recommend??

Looking for a different tone than a Gibson, want more clear and open with excellent clean tone with good note separation. Thanks!

Video of Tele Pickup Squeal

SomeAverageGuy

TDPRI Member
My custom built guitar (left) has SD Saturday Night Specials and I love them. Like a PAF on steroids, if that makes sense.
8B54F34D-4C9B-4E24-A558-4550FC6DF090.jpeg

shane11111

NEW MEMBER!
Thanks for the vote on the Sat Night Specials...only problem is it looks like you have to go through the Duncan Custom shop to get them trembucker/ f-spaced....which I would want as I want to put the stock "Fender" logo pickup covers onto whatever aftermarket pickups I get...anyone who can weigh in on pickups?

Textele

Tele-Holic

Got a new American Professional II Tele Deluxe in dark night color. It's awesome, like killer, other than having microphonic pickup squeal at higher volumes. See the Youtube video link below...This is gain 6.5 volume 2.5 on my evh 5150 III 50 watt with noise suppressor in x pattern. My les Paul and other guitars make zero noise through this same setup.

Turns out these humbuckers are not potted.. I had my guitar tech wax pot them. It made it better by about 50% but it is still squealing. He explained that the V mod pickups although traditional PAF size are still designed like the wide range humbuckers with the pickup bobbins far apart which he theorizes is allowing the vibration and squeal...

It basically makes the guitar unusable for band settings..even at lower volume and gain settings than I use with a band it has massive feedback issues. Anyone else with experience with the new Fender v mod ll pickups having similar issues? I know the previous generation Tele deluxes with Shawbuckers had a similar issue.

Also, I am thinking of replacing the pickups because I otherwise love the guitar. Bare knuckle stormy Monday, lollar imperial, fralin p-92, Duncan sat night specials are my list of possibilities so far. What do you recommend??

Looking for a different tone than a Gibson, want more clear and open with excellent clean tone with good note separation. Thanks!

Sorry you are having to experience this.

If I was the GM at Fender I would fire Tim Shaw yesterday. Nothing personal, I just thing he has no idea what he is doing when making / designing pickups. No idea when it comes to making modern music. Microphonic pickups, and the other sterile and harsh pups of his are TRASH IMO.

I personally have strongly disliked every single pickup he has designed since coming to Fender.

Go with a good Duncan or Dimarzio would be my suggestion.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
I really like the Dimarzio AT-1 in the bridge. It is PAF like but slightly hotter with great harmonics. I prefer P90s or singles in the neck position. Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell is on my list for a neck pickup as it has a single coil like character.

jim232777

Tele-Meister
Bare knuckle stormy Monday, lollar imperial, fralin p-92, Duncan sat night specials are my list of possibilities so far. What do you recommend??

I have a Fralin Unbucker (went back and forth between that and the PAF!) that has beautiful, clear tone. I absolutely love it. I think the only thing I might replace it with is the Fralin PAF--and just because I love the Unbucker so much I want to hear the PAF in my guitar!

I have to say, though, that the P92 you mentioned is interesting...the Fralin web site description of their version of the Wide Range HB says it's "reminiscent" of the P92.

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
You are going to get about a hundred different recommendations.

I would recommend identifying a few well known artist sounds you like and then contacting the pickup brands you can easily buy and asking their recommendation from their lines.

IrishBread69

Tele-Meister
The reissue CuNiFe humbuckers are excellent but expensive.

The new Kingfish signature humbuckers sound genuinely fantastic and slightly more affordable.

I have the CuNiFe set in a Jazzmaster and I'm probably going to put the kingfish set into a Squier deluxe I'm modding.

The SD antiquity pickups have a good reputation also.

RockstarChris

TDPRI Member
I put a SD JB and 59 set in my pro 1 deluxe. I never got loud enouh to squeal but noticed how microphonic they were when tapping them with my pick.

Cali Dude

Friend of Leo's
I have the Lollar Imperial humbuckers in my Hamer. They are awesome. Definitely the best pickups I have ever used. I think that the low wind Imperial humbuckers would be perfect.

Clifton C

Tele-Afflicted
Lollar pickups are amazing! I have one in my avatar guitar. It’s a mini-humbucker. I’m sure the full-size humbuckers sound great, too.

Last edited:

smc67

TDPRI Member

Shane,
I’ve just sold mine. I never gelled with those pickups at all.
Bought it it end of January 2020 and it basically became a case queen.
Disappointed to say the least.
Changing them out also means an different scratch plate too.
Damm shame as it was such a pretty guitar.
Got myself a 2015 ash deluxe with the n3 pickups.
Happy days!!

Attachments

• DBEDE9AD-4FAA-4895-9EDE-F9511C959939.jpeg
    DBEDE9AD-4FAA-4895-9EDE-F9511C959939.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 3521E634-2559-4FA4-A4FD-5246A465980E.jpeg
    3521E634-2559-4FA4-A4FD-5246A465980E.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 17
  • B7369570-423B-45C1-BAC1-780A0B0AF1C0.jpeg
    B7369570-423B-45C1-BAC1-780A0B0AF1C0.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 18

MogwaiBoy

TDPRI Member
I had the exact same guitar (Dark Night too) with the exact same problem. First band practice it just squelled like a Deliverance stunt double with my BE-OD Deluxe.

What did I do? I'm sorry to say I sold it.

I went on a huge mission to replace the pickups - starting a thread on TGP and informing people of progress... but then the guitar tech/luthier got busy and held onto my guitar for months. Having a long time to let go of the guitar and mull over alternatives, after awhile I got cold feet, took it back stock and just sold it. It was a risk sinking a lot of extra money in it (it 100% needs locking tuners too, in my opinion) only to perhaps not fix the problem - this model was too new for reports such as yours to filter through. Initial reports were that the whole Am Pro II production line was simply incredible - I thought maybe I just got a bad one, and due to product shortages there was no chance of a direct replacement.

I'm annoyed at Fender's QC. I'm convinced these guitars are simply not meant to be used with high gain. They just can't do it from factory.

If you do decide to replace the pickups, be aware that you may have to change the pickguard or drill extra holes for typical 2-screw mounted PAF style humbuckers. The V-Mod's have 3-screw mounting as per typical Shawbuckers - making it impossible to get away from Shawbuckers without some kind of modification. I had a custom pickguard made from a guy on EBay, and bought a couple of Bareknuckle Silos (F-spaced bridge) for mine which never got installed, sadly. Also note that Widerange Humbuckers (if you decide to go that route) are larger than the stock pickups, so will also require either some DIY cutting or a custom pickguard.

The 3-way pickup selector switch on mine was intermittent right out of the box too. And I decided the volume and tone controls, although just like the amps, feel cheap and plasticky to me (easy to replace with steel Gotoh's though).

The best thing was the satin finished neck felt SO nice in the left hand.

I honestly think in-house pickups are Fender's biggest weakness. I can't get Fender Noiseless pickups out of a Tele fast enough - and I will never go near a "Shawbucker" again. :p

Goodluck!

Last edited:

Creaulx

TDPRI Member
Had the same issue with my 2017 Tele Deluxe Shawbucker. I mulled a pickup swap, and selling it, but a professional wax potting job saved the day. No squeal, harshness gone and they sound fantastic with high gain, and much nicer without. Warm, round and smooth. It's become a guitar I'll never part with and the $250 CAD was well worth it.

Attachments

• Shawbucker.jpeg
    Shawbucker.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 18

cousinpaul

Friend of Leo's
I notice some of the American Pro II Deluxe's have a hardtail strat bridge while the new ones appear to have a tele half bridge with compensated brass saddles. I ditched the hardtail strat bridge on one of my guitars and replaced it with a Rutters Burrito bridge. The Burrito really warmed up the tone and eliminated some nasty transients. I'd also recommend heavier tuners. Locking might be good.

Regarding pickups, I'd maybe began a conversation with Fralin, Lollar and some of the other respected builders. Life is too short to try everything out there. I'd want to get it right the first time.

I'd also redefine your situation as high volume rather than high gain. With a master volume amp or pedals you can get the gain at reasonable levels.

Bungle1981

NEW MEMBER!
OP, did you end up choosing some new pickups?

I also have the Am Pro II Deluxe and love the guitar but the pickups aren't amazing. I have an Eastman singlecut with Lollar Imperials and they sound incredible. I'd love to get something like that in the Tele Deluxe so its the best of both worlds.

Changing pickups can sometimes be a crap-shoot as you never know what things will actually sound like until they are in. I also have another tele with the V-Mod 2 Single coils, swapped them out for some BK pickups and ended up changing back to the V-Mods as the BKs sounded really bad in comparison!

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Not going to help much, but I was looking for an Am Pro II Tele Deluxe recently and actually ordered the Dark Night Deluxe with a Rosewood board to match my Strat. Wound up being back ordered with no real estimate of when they would be in stock. I started looking at my options and was looking at the Vintera. Played the Am Pro II Deluxe and the Vintera in several stores and honestly, couldn't bond with any of them. Just something about Fender humbuckers to my ear 🤷‍♂️

I have several Teles with Seymour Duncan humbuckers and I love them 👍👍

I happen to run across a Gibson Les Paul Studio by chance and figured, what the heck. I have never been much into Gibson and had never played a Les Paul before. I was hooked within 20 minutes. Didn't particularly like the finish of the one in the store so I wound up ordering from Sweetwater that night. Wound up being cheaper than the Am Pro as well...

20211001_233545482_iOS.jpg 20220701_181658281_iOS.jpg