New alt TV shows.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Nov 19, 2019.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I've not been a TV watcher for years. I learned of The Office or Parks n Rec via reruns. We don't have cable.

Confession: My routines are changed right now caring for a family member. I did the free Apple TV+ trial and now confess I finished 3 episodes.

I like this watch it when you can including on your phone. What all is good? My inner cheapskate would prefer to stick with that free year from Apple. I see there's a short Disney trial out there. We have a family Netflix account but I've only tried it a few times maybe 2 years ago.

From a business perspective Apple giving it away for a year seems like a good idea. I tried the one with Steve Carell. It's not funny like I remember him from Daily show. Have any of you tried the other shows?

I'm usually into documentaries. I haven't followed other series since Hill St. Blues or Seinfeld. I probably need some education here.

2. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

TV shows, much like a lot of today's music suck.

3. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

It seems that a program "season" is only about 8 weeks long now - and then its on to something new .

4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Could not disagree more, in the sense that we are in a golden age of TV right now. There are so many channels and streaming options out there that we have not had this much programming to choose from ever. And, yes, there is plenty of it that is good. In fact, I would say that since comic books and kids movies have overrun the cinemas, TV has benefited from catching the adult programming that was run out of the movies.

The big question is: what do you like? You gotta find yourself a TV guru who knows what you like and knows what's available and can lead you to the right stuff.

5. es335dg

es335dg TDPRI Member

Lots of great music being made these days. Lots of good television too.

Check out Lodge 49.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  6. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

Very true , I would agree that the majority of the major cable programs stink and are overrun with sitcoms and reality shows but the adult focused programs on Netflix, Hulu, etc, are very good. There are many options and many that are far superior to the Hollywood movies coming out.

Ranchand23 and Lawdawg like this.
  7. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Yup. The days of putting up with dumb-downed primetime programming while you patiently wait for an intelligent film to be released in the theaters is past. Now there's a lot of engaging stuff on TV and the theaters are filled with Dwayne Johnson and superhero movies.

If you liked "Hill Street Blues," then you might like "The Wire." But like other great TV shows (Sopranos, Game of Thrones), it's a continuing story, so you have to watch from the episodes in order. A hilarious comedy that flew under the radar was "Party Down," but again you have to watch it in order to really enjoy. If you haven't watched TV since the 80s, also try: The West Wing, The Larry Sanders Show, Downton Abbey, Justified, and Stanger Things.

Please report back and let us know what you found and your impressions. Thanks.

Lawdawg likes this.
  8. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

Here we gooooo!

Chunkocaster and backporchmusic like this.
  9. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

-----------

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Toast likes this.
  10. imwjl

Please don't stress the moderators or wreck the fun. Personally, I subscribe to or get from library newspapers and journals that are competing philosophies and I've missed years of TV from being a print or spoken word news junkie.

All I did was try the Apple show with Steve Carell, Jennifer Anniston and Reese Witherspoon. I only knew the first two. I can't say it's my thing but it sparked interest in this new way of content delivery.

I also missed Sopranos. There's a lot of catch up I could do but trying something new seemed fun. My book reading is generally non-fiction so some of the other titles didn't seem like me but as said, I actually watched 3 episodes of that Apple trial. I'm up for checking out some story telling. I totally loved the way I picked up those episodes where I left off. I loved the idea of it full screen with sound system and the way it used 30 minutes as a car passenger with my phone.

Maybe my mind needs more fiction. I don't plan on getting cable TV subscription again. I made sure I can access the family Netflix account and understand I have a year free with the Apple trial. I mostly know Netflix as a finance news junkie and Apple as an IT director. It looks like Apple's trying to do the same sort of quality thing with video they're doing with the News+.

What should I check out with our Netflix plan, and have any of you tried the other Apple shows?

Thank you.

11. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

I view TV only as entertainment in any context .

KyAnne and loco gringo like this.
  12. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I think The Wire was one of the best television series ever produced. It has a long, slow story arc and develops characters very well.

It is from the same group that did Homicide: Life On The Streets on network TV years ago. This was also a great show, and they used modern music in the show to great effect. It isn't available on streaming services.

BB, Teddyjack and catdaddy like this.
  13. teledude66

teledude66 Friend of Leo's

Not to put words into his mouth, but i read it as "network TV sucks." I think niche TV i.e Amazon Prime, AMC, some of those networks are great TV. The big 3 to 4, I may have a show here or there that I like from them. I agree we do live in a great time, old tv shows at your command. I watched a Six Million Dollar man episode the other day, gotta say, doesn't hold up like I remembered...lol.

14. teledude66

teledude66 Friend of Leo's

I personally do YouTube TV 50$'s a month, in reality I could do away with it. I spend most of my time on youtube watching demos, or lessons, and the rig rundowns. For 120$'s a year Amazon Prime is hard to beat, and free shipping.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  15. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Meister

Billions and Goliath were both really excellent. Season 3 of Goliath was kind of lame though.

BB likes this.
  16. imwjl

I get that. It ads up and I'm SO entertained by much stuff on YouTube for free. What we've done to manage the price is "cut cable", have the Roku and Apple box attached to TV, and also cancelled some print/app subscriptions for the only $10 a month News+. I don't get the entirety of Wall St. Journal with News+ but get content from other papers and get publications that is good stuff.

It doesn't seem like many are going for that free Apple TV trial. I'll dig around that and Netflix some more tonight.

17. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Is there any other kind of tv anymore? Network sitcoms and so on? I haven't had cable in years and don't miss that kind of show at all.
    OP I don't know anything about the new Apple service (that's a company I Boycott, not for political reasons). To me, the biggest subscription bang for buck is HBO Now, you get HBOs' entire lineup which includes many of the best shows ever made:
    The Wire
    Sopranos
    Deadwood
    Game of Thones (not the best show ever but the biggest show ever).
    My wife and I just finished Barry which is a wild black comedy/drama.
    HBO is a "traditional" cable channel though in addition so you might already have seen these shows.

If you have already have Amazon Prime (the free shipping deal) I think there is a decent amount of free videos you can watch. They have some good shows, I thought Marvelous Ms. Maizel was funny. And the first season (really, it's a miniseries) of True Detective is really, really, really great.

18. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Over the past 3-5 years I've essentially abandoned broadcast TV except for sports and local news. All my TV viewing is via streaming services. There are literally far too many shows to watch, but the quality is exponentially better than what we had on the old 3 network system.

Not sure what you like but here is a sampler of suggestions for shows on Netflix from the past several years:

- Stranger Things -- SciFi, kids discovery strange things afoot in their small town. Think Spielberg crossed with John Carpenter.
    - Mindhunter -- 70s era FBI agents research and investigate serial killers. Very loosely based on real events.
    - Nailed It -- silly cooking competition where incompetent home cooks try to bake complicated desserts. Quite silly and funny.
    - Bojack Horseman -- Very adult themed animated comedy about a past-his-prime former sitcom star. Very funny but quite dark, and surprisingly insightful exploration of depression and addiction (seriously).
    - Dark -- Very cerebral sci-fi/time travel show from Germany. Exceptional, but requires attention.
    - Dark Crystal -- series based on the 80s fantasy epic movie with Henson puppets. Worth viewing for the incredible artistry of the puppetry.

No experience with Apple+. The problem with it, from my view, is that there's no library other than the small handful of originals Apple is making. Since you have if for free, check it out, but I have no interest in paying for 4-5 Apple shows none of which really interest me.

Beyond Netflix, I would also mention the following two:

Disney+ -- If you have kids getting this is a no brainer. The library is fantastic and fun even for a guy like me in his late 40s. The Mandalorian is also great fun, basically a spaghetti western set in the Star Wars universe.

Fleabag -- this is on Amazon Prime which I already have for the shipping rate benefits. A nice short British comedy -- 2 seasons of six 30 minute episodes. What at first comes off as a raunchy sex comedy about a young single woman in London, quickly evolves into an exploration of the grieving process, and learning how to move past self-destructive behavior. Consistently and equally hilarious and heartbreaking and even though I'm past that stage in my life, probably the smartest take on that transitional period from 25 - 35. The single best show I've seen the past 2-3 years. Based on your personal sensitivities I would note that it is very adult and frank in its handling of sexual content, but never exploitative or extraneously so.

imwjl likes this.
  19. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Thank you!

teledude66 likes this.
  20. imwjl

Hi,

I noticed HBO, CBS and other content providers in the TV Shows category so have made the assumption you get much more than the Apple original shows. The movies part seemed that way too. It was a brief look but seems like the News+ concept but their originals plus other video.

Again, that I even looked into it was a surprise but I was too tired to read and saw the promo. Then I surprised myself by finishing 3 episodes over 5 days. I'll look into it more because I would consider that monthly fee if it is way more than that short list we're both aware of.

It's not like they are giving you a U2 album whether or not you want it so I suggest checking it out. I might still need my head examined for why I watched 3 episodes of that show. Any other version of my viewing history and my YouTube subscriptions are typically how to stuff, nature or science documentaries, outdoor sports and musicians better or better looking than I'll ever be.

:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.