new Albert King C Shop Tele

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by claptonrules, May 7, 2019.

1. claptonrules

claptonrules TDPRI Member

Just bought a brand new Custom Shop A King Tele and love it. Plays great, looks awesome, build incredible, etc.. One issue I need advice on please. I wanted that neck humbucker in neck but when I play it alone it's very muddy. Middle split position better and bridge the best. Was a bit surprised the neck S Duncan humbucker doesn't sound great alone and again split not so great. Bridge is a single coil S Duncan and sounds great. Guitar not twangy which is what I wanted cuz I play no country, all blues and Classic rock. Specs don't say what Seymour Duncan either pickup is.

Hate to swap a brand new Custom Shop humbucker so will give it time, but any suggestions/advice appreciated. I love the Thornbucker sound Andy Wood gets but again, need help from you all please if any suggestions on this neck pickup.
    Thank you.

2. bangcaster

bangcaster Tele-Meister

Albert Collins?

3. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

I want to know what is actually in there to see if they are functioning correctly. There should be stickers on the back of the pickups.

4. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Of course..Albert King is not noted for playing a Tele.

Swampash&Tweed and nojazzhere like this.
  5. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Holic

Lucy's a flying v...iceman played a tele

Jim622 likes this.
  6. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

*SIGH*

[​IMG]

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Pickup height may be an issue, try lowering the pickup first.
    You may need to change the pots/caps, hope they didn't put 250k's and .047's in there.

8. claptonrules

Fender Custom Shop produced the Albert Collins signature for years, just stopped so a few new ones still floating around. Happy to snag one. The Iceman could scream some blues. Love his music.

I've read a bit more and apparently the bridge is a Texas Special (10.5) which sounds awesome. The neck is a humbucker S Duncan built for that guitar/Albert and I'm gonna email them to see if I can get anymore info. Just didn't know if anyone out there had an A Collins and experienced this. Appreciate everyone's input.

Bruxist likes this.
  9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A screwdriver is your best friend, for this. Drop the neck pickup down low to the pickguard and adjust the height until it sounds right by itself. After that, adjust the bridge pickup until there's a balanced tone when both pickups are used together. The bridge tone by itself should be decent after that.

hemingway likes this.
  10. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Fender specs say the neck humbucker is a Duncan '59. That is their PAF-style pickup, one that's been around a long time...I've used a couple. Very nice vintage sounding pickup, not a high output pickup like some other Duncans. Feeds pedals very well and can get good clear, woody 'bucker tones. One of my favorite Duncans. The question might be: is that neck pickup a custom variant of the '59 wound for 250K pots, like the Pearly Gates Fender used in some Strats. Might be, to be compatable with the bridge pickup. But Albert was known for his "ice pick" tone, and so a Texas Special bridge p/u with a 500k volume pot would be a ballsy, bright tone.

http://www.fendercustomshop.com/ser...gnature-telecaster-maple-fingerboard-natural/

Bruxist likes this.
  11. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

I thought the neck bucker was a '59 but I could be mistaken.

Congrats on the snag!

12. claptonrules

Yep neck is a S Duncan 59 humbucker and bridge is a Fender C Shop Texas special. Bridge awesome, neck not so much. Will try everyone's suggestions. Really appreciate it. Killer guitar and I know I can get her dialed in. Thx again.

13. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

My bet is that the controls are 250K pots. which would make a standard humbucker in the neck sound rather dull. If so, try installing a 300K volume pot, or go with a 500K volume pot and expect a brighter sounding bridge pickup. See my previous comment.

14. claptonrules

Love the bridge Fender Texas Special. Strong output. The neck humbucker is just dull and muddy. Any experience with the Seymour Duncan Saturday nite Special neck humbucker? Have read about it and it might be a nice fit.

15. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

That must be from the CUSTOM custom shop if Albert King played it........lol. Let see Pics of this bad boy! Collins Teles are among my faves.

16. claptonrules

Yes sir it is. Beautiful, really light, plays great and well made.
    I just don’t like the neck Humbucker.
    It’s a 59 S Duncan but just not for me. Sounds flat.
    Their Saturday night Special sounds like the one I want, just didn’t know if anyone had tried them.
    Will take pics and post.
    Thanks

17. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Meister

I put a neck humbucker in all my teles. Usually just a 57 classic.
    I lower it down almost flush to the pickguard, and add a bass-cut pot to tune out the 'woof'.

Cheers, RM

18. claptonrules

Cool. Thanks for sharing. I look into lowering it.
    Appreciate it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.