New Affinity - string through?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by william tel, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

They’re all over the place. Here’s a CSSL and the L doesn’t stand for lefty.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jlwctn, Fendereedo and Gary135r like this.
  2. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Meister

My BSB Affinity Tele has the thicker body and string-through bridge. 41.2 mm nut width. Football output jack.

A set of Bootstrap Palo Duros, a 4-way switch, new control pots, orange drop cap, and a set of drop-in Musiclily locking tuners later, it’s a helluva great-sounding player.

F7D25FA0-386A-445E-A450-02014AFADF36.jpeg

3. Gary135r

Gary135r TDPRI Member

Sounds like mine! :)

Jlwctn likes this.
  4. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I'm probably a mile off, but hasn't the Affinity undergone some cosmetic changes with the new batch released 2019/20?

5. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Meister

@Gary135r , if that’s yours in your avatar, it looks great. Hope it plays and sounds even better!

Gary135r and Jlwctn like this.
  6. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Meister

It seems that way. Thicker body, string-through, and a slightly wider neck with a nut that measures 41.2 mm. Still not a 42 mm nut, but to me, the difference is imperceptible.

I expected to make the changes I made. The Bootstrap Palo Duro pickup set was a big improvement over the stock pickups to my ears and for my taste, but the stock ceramics didn’t sound terrible, by any means. I just wanted a sweeter, more vintage tone, and the Bootstraps delivered.

I own a couple of Squier Bullet Strats, and they are all tremendous values. After setting them up to my taste, they are all excellent players, and certainly giggable. One of them was a $50 USD used Chinese version that I dropped CTS pots, a Fender 5-way switch, a Sprague cap, and a set of Donlis alnico pickups into, mounted on a Musiclily tort pickguard. It sounds glorious straight into my ‘73 Musicmaster Bass amp:
    1272C05F-A80D-419E-8F0F-7A0773FE28AD.jpeg

CajunJ, 68Telebass and Jlwctn like this.
  7. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

Nice family photo! I really like that Jag PJ bass. Is it 34" scale?

8. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Meister

Yes, it is. It’s a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar P/J, 34” scale, with an Audere Jazz plate 4-band preamp wired into the stock battery box and side-mounted jack. The Audere made the stock pickups come alive.

Bought used from GC from a store on the California coast for $150 USD, shipped in a brand-new Crossrock gig bag.

I love rescue projects. :)

I also bought used her single humbucker sister:
    80956B46-FCD3-4070-ADA0-C3F33A689935.jpeg

HB is finished in Candy Apple Red; the P/J is finished in Crimson Red Transparent.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    taddy, 68Telebass and Jlwctn like this.
  9. Gary135r

Gary135r TDPRI Member

Yes that is mine. I'll get better pictures, (photography being a hobby of mine) but these were taken quickly with an IPad to show someone the model changes I was talking about.

Attached Files:

Jlwctn and Ronzo like this.
  10. frettchen

frettchen TDPRI Member

I also saw an Affinity with strings through, s/n CSSJ19..., crafted in china.

Gary135r likes this.
  11. grzz51

grzz51 TDPRI Member

In December I got a new Affinity Tele and other than the color (Butterscotch Blond) it is like yours. It also has a 4 letter s/n prefix CSSI.

Gary135r likes this.
  12. Gary135r

Gary135r TDPRI Member

The mystery continues......

13. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

New Affinity Tele arrived today. My observations:

It was produced in January 2020 according to the labels, and the serial starts with CSSA20. I'm pretty sure that A = Jan, 20 = 2020 and looking at the codes in this thread, running through CSSI/J/K/L that makes perfect sense I = Sep, J= Oct, K = Nov, L = Dec and back to A = Jan.

It's string through and the body is the same thickness as my '96 MIM Standard.

Neck is a maple slab with no skunk stripe.

Nut is 41.2mm which is fine, if not a full 42mm. String spacing is 33.7mm centre-centre as near as I can tell (the MIM is pretty much dead on 35mm). The spread feels comfortable, and very similar to my CV '72 Thinline.

I guess the frets are what you'd call medium jumbo. I prefer narrow-tall personally (or even vintage) but they feel great - pretty nicely polished and no sprout.

My only minor gripe is that the nut slots for both E-strings are cut a bit deep - so much so that I can't get a note behind the 2nd or 3rd fret on the high E. Need to decide whether that's a problem - baking soda and glue, or maybe just sling a bone nut on it.

Also the saddles could do with some adjustment for even height and intonation, but hey, that's par for the course.

nicod98 and Gary135r like this.
  14. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I was convinced that the Bullet too had a thinner body. Mine does...

Fendereedo likes this.
  15. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I think you're right... Still, not bad for a series that has been in production for almost 25 years.... :)

Fendereedo likes this.
  16. Gary135r

Gary135r TDPRI Member

A lot of changes. Thicker body is one.

Fendereedo likes this.
  17. twangbucker

twangbucker TDPRI Member

I'd love to see some photos as I'm on the fence between Affinity & Bullet right now. Thanks for the post!

18. Gary135r

Gary135r TDPRI Member

Augusta! Hey neighbor. I'm in Gorham. Above I posted my Affinity with my crappy IPad camera. Let me know if you need any specific shot. Same new model.

twangbucker likes this.
  19. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

upload_2020-4-30_20-4-8.png upload_2020-4-30_20-4-23.png upload_2020-4-30_20-4-49.png upload_2020-4-30_20-5-12.png

Jlwctn and Gary135r like this.
  20. twangbucker

twangbucker TDPRI Member

Hey neighbor! How about a shot of the back (ferrules) when you have a minute?
    As luck would have it, I am wanting one in black also. The drawback on the Bullet is that black comes with an Indian Laurel fingerboard, or whatever "rosewood-like wood" they're using these days.
    Thanks a lot!

Gary135r likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.