New Affinity Squire Telecaster from ProAudioStar.com

vgayle

TDPRI Member
I specifically named the post after the controversial website Pro Audio Star.com because I’ve read a lot of hit and misses regarding the site. Some good and bad experiences have been had by other members and I’m here to say my transaction was flawlessly great! Great email updates and tracking. It arrived in less than a week and yes the box was open but the guitar was properly wrapped and packed as if it had never left the box.
Oh the guitar, almost forgot…great player out the box with no additional adjustments needed. Just a tune and she was ready to go. Unplugged it resonates clearly (a pre forecast of my stanadard that means it’s gonna play even better when plugged in).m and sure enough plugged
A2678DAE-FE55-449E-96E5-24BA2903F8D5.jpeg
into my Bugrera 22 combo and Boss Katana it twanged like a good Tele should. Very happy over all. Love it! And it’s black cat approved, Luna gives it her stamp of excellence.

Attachments

• 8CBB1021-8BFD-4A32-888E-CA11F15433E6.jpeg
    8CBB1021-8BFD-4A32-888E-CA11F15433E6.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 24

Jim85IROC

Tele-Meister
Similar experience here with the 50s Classic Vibe that I bought. It arrived in just a few days, and was great. The weight was heavier than I'd prefer, but that's obviously no fault of Pro Audio Star's. Their obligation is to ship me what they sold to me, and they did that 100%.

My only real complaint (if you can call it that) about Pro Audio Star is that they didn't double box it. The fender packing is so robust that I consider it unnecessary for these guitars, but other manufacturers don't have packing that's nearly as good as Fender's, so I'd be a bit more leary of buying other brands unless PAS started double boxing.

The guitar itself is great. Well set up, action was right where I like it, nut was well cut, no visible flaws in the finish whatsoever, great fret ends, frets are nicely polished, and all of the electronics work. Great overall experience.

JIMMY JAZZMAN

Tele-Afflicted
Have the same guitar. Action is very good, pickups are nice, pots okay and an excellent musical instrument that
you're not afraid to get down and dirty with. I love mine thru my Vox AC15C1. Match made in heaven.

Loaded Goat

Tele-Meister
Similar experience here with the 50s Classic Vibe that I bought. It arrived in just a few days, and was great. The weight was heavier than I'd prefer, but that's obviously no fault of Pro Audio Star's. Their obligation is to ship me what they sold to me, and they did that 100%.

My only real complaint (if you can call it that) about Pro Audio Star is that they didn't double box it. The fender packing is so robust that I consider it unnecessary for these guitars, but other manufacturers don't have packing that's nearly as good as Fender's, so I'd be a bit more leary of buying other brands unless PAS started double boxing.

The guitar itself is great. Well set up, action was right where I like it, nut was well cut, no visible flaws in the finish whatsoever, great fret ends, frets are nicely polished, and all of the electronics work. Great overall experience.
Received my contemporary tele two days ago. Same experience with PAS as you. Changed strings...all else was good..action/intonation/binding/tuners/frets (polished and smooth ends)...very happy!

Blind Owl

TDPRI Member
I got the same tele, but no cat : ) Pretty much the same experience, good communication, single boxed, mine was unopened.
Fedex left the box outside my open gate, blocking it, and visible from the road?!? Sheesh- but that's not PASs fault.

Body a little over 1 5/8" thick, 7.6 lbs. 4 hole, string through bridge. Nut is a little over 42mm, neck is "regular c", nice and chunky - feels similar to a MIM I had. I prefer a fatter neck, and when I heard these new Affinitys had that, I was finally ready to buy one. the Olympic white with white PG and RW neck is a favorite of mine, really looks great. I like the belly cut too.

Tuners are nice - I see no need to replace them. Electronics seem fine so far. Fretboard is nice and dark, I guess it's IL, but I would have believed it's RW. Frets are not perfectly smooth, but not gritty either, and no sprout. I'll polish them and round the fretboard edges when I change strings. The neck pickup is a bit warmer and the bridge a bit more trebl-ey than I 'd like, but I can always switch them down the road. The neck has really minimal finish. I'm going to sand lightly with fine paper, and may put on a couple of coats of wipe on poly.

Relief was high, once i adjusted that, the action was down right where I like it. Overall, a very nice guitar.

Jim85IROC

Tele-Meister
Received my contemporary tele two days ago. Same experience with PAS as you. Changed strings...all else was good..action/intonation/binding/tuners/frets (polished and smooth ends)...very happy!
oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I had to adjust the intonation, but that's not a ding on PAS either.

vgayle

TDPRI Member
Well I did find one major problem, the 3 way switch doesn’t engage the neck pup by itself. Position 1 is of course the bridge, 2 is the bridge/neck and 3 is the bridge/neck again. No neck only in position 3. Obviously a bad cheap import switch that can be replaced for $4 or it could be a bad solder joint. Regular $214 for $149 & free shipping (and kind of dodgy 30 day return policy, read carefully) not too bad but it is taking a chance.
Which brings me to my next Proaudiostar purchase thru Reverb.com. A 60’s Classic Vibe Telecaster. $400 for $219, new/open box. Flawless transaction and shipment and extremely well packed again. Sunburst finish, cream binding and tinted high gloss neck finish.
The bad: needed a major setup (truss rod adjustment, raise the saddles and set the intonation, lots of string buzz). And the small E string still has a buzz when played open, bad nut slot cut likely. A new nut altogether might be the best solution. And the worse is a bad fitting Pick guard, warped under the strings as seen in the pic and doesn’t sit flush to the body in some other areas. I have a few Tele pick guards sitting around that I know are good and flat so we’ll see how they fit. Hopefully the holes will line up, the control cover will align and all will be plumb. If so I’m willing to buy an expensive genuine Fender PG to replace. Hell I’ll even buy a cheaper eBay PG as long it fits. If it’s a bad alignment between the body screw holes and PG holes it’s going back. I’ll post an update later.
If you’re willing to put some work yourself into these bargain guitars it’s worth it. I’d suggest to stay away if you can’t do the work or have to pay extra $ for Pro tech work.

Attachments

• 106932ED-DD43-46E9-BE46-A8C6CFF6F2C9.jpeg
    106932ED-DD43-46E9-BE46-A8C6CFF6F2C9.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 31
  • F2BD5F2E-8873-4373-AB6E-4027ED184600.jpeg
    F2BD5F2E-8873-4373-AB6E-4027ED184600.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 32

SoCal-Alan

TDPRI Member
Just ordered a CV Thinline Telecaster from ProAudio Plus. Keep everyone posted on transaction and product. Wish me luck. So far label created, ordered Saturday.

vgayle

TDPRI Member
Update: everything is fixed. I replaced the broken cheap import switch with another cheap import switch (I’ll redo all the elecs and pups one day but it really sounds that good…the affinity Tele) and the pick guard on the 60s CV Tele was actually warped under the strings, another Tele pick guard I had fit well as a replacement. Got a quick and polite response from Pete of ProAudio after I complained about the problems, he really killed me with kindness so what else could I say. I may buy a 50s CV Strat to fix up if the price is right one day.
Just have low expectations and the intentions to do a little fixing and you won’t be disappointed with ProAudioStar.com.

Blind Owl

TDPRI Member
Update: everything is fixed. I replaced the broken cheap import switch with another cheap import switch (I’ll redo all the elecs and pups one day but it really sounds that good…the affinity Tele) and the pick guard on the 60s CV Tele was actually warped under the strings, another Tele pick guard I had fit well as a replacement. Got a quick and polite response from Pete of ProAudio after I complained about the problems, he really killed me with kindness so what else could I say. I may buy a 50s CV Strat to fix up if the price is right one day.
Just have low expectations and the intentions to do a little fixing and you won’t be disappointed with ProAudioStar.com.
As someone who bought an Affinity Tele from PAS, I would just say that the problems you had are from the manufacturer, not PAS. Like Guitar Center or Musician's Friend, they don't unbox, or inspect in the way Sweetwater does.

vgayle

TDPRI Member
Oh the problems are definitely from the manufacturer and not PAS but both of mine were open boxes and 40% off regular price. Are these B & C stocks that PAS are receiving from Squire and not disclosing for that specific guitar? No inspection tags hanging from the headstock. From what I read on their site NEW items come with the full lifetime manufacture’s warranty but B stocks are limited or you can purchase an extended warranty IF available at time of purchase. My point is they do sell new items but label the B stocks as “Open Box”. Just read the fine print and prepare to do some repairs on heavily discounted open box, B and used guitars.

Attachments

• 6EC22147-978A-4218-A378-3A78C09E4B8B.png
    6EC22147-978A-4218-A378-3A78C09E4B8B.png
    215.4 KB · Views: 7

Blind Owl

TDPRI Member
Oh the problems are definitely from the manufacturer and not PAS but both of mine were open boxes and 40% off regular price. Are these B & C stocks that PAS are receiving from Squire and not disclosing for that specific guitar? No inspection tags hanging from the headstock. From what I read on their site NEW items come with the full lifetime manufacture’s warranty but B stocks are limited or you can purchase an extended warranty IF available at time of purchase. My point is they do sell new items but label the B stocks as “Open Box”. Just read the fine print and prepare to do some repairs on heavily discounted open box, B and used guitars.
The only "open box" item I got from them was a hardshell case. It had been opened, had no paperwork, but did include the keys. It looked brand new and first quality other than that. I'm not defending them, but they do have some really good deals.

vgayle

TDPRI Member
I think I may replace the ceramic pups with any medium out alnicos but EVERY guitar I own has been altered in some way and that’s starting to bother me. There’s something about keeping a guitar as it was meant to be, which is another thread. And it voids the warranty lol. Any thoughts?