New adventure - Ukrainian refugees

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Holic
A couple of weeks back I caught an interview on the car radio with a couple of women who drive minibuses from the UK to the Poland-Ukraine border. Going out, they carry donated supplies. Coming back, they bring refugees who have been matched with sponsor families here in the UK. I was in tears listening to it.

Got home, Googled, emailed...

This morning I'm setting off driving one of a convoy of 7 minibuses. Mine and two others are only doing the "out" trip this time round - we're returning Polish rental vehicles because as the school holidays have started here in the UK we've kindly been loaned some school minibuses to use. The other four, though will be bringing people back. My first "full" trip, bringing people back, leaves on August 23rd.

So far, the group has brought back 384 people, focussing on the vulnerable - women and children, elderly, disabled, etc.

The war's clearly not going away, and I wanted to do something, somehow.

We're all volunteers. It started as a group of friends, but has grown.

I don't know whether there's a rule about this - I'm sure someone will tell me if there is! - but if you'd like to help support the costs, link below. We're all giving our time, and excited to do so, but inescapably there are fuel costs, motor insurance, etc etc. It costs about £2k per minibus per trip, so with the best will in the world we can't keep doing it on our own.

Anyway - thought I'd share. Looks like we've got great weather for it. I've never been to Poland before!

See you when I get back!!

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
A couple of weeks back I caught an interview on the car radio with a couple of women who drive minibuses from the UK to the Poland-Ukraine border. Going out, they carry donated supplies. Coming back, they bring refugees who have been matched with sponsor families here in the UK. I was in tears listening to it.

Got home, Googled, emailed...

This morning I'm setting off driving one of a convoy of 7 minibuses. Mine and two others are only doing the "out" trip this time round - we're returning Polish rental vehicles because as the school holidays have started here in the UK we've kindly been loaned some school minibuses to use. The other four, though will be bringing people back. My first "full" trip, bringing people back, leaves on August 23rd.

So far, the group has brought back 384 people, focussing on the vulnerable - women and children, elderly, disabled, etc.

The war's clearly not going away, and I wanted to do something, somehow.

We're all volunteers. It started as a group of friends, but has grown.

I don't know whether there's a rule about this - I'm sure someone will tell me if there is! - but if you'd like to help support the costs, link below. We're all giving our time, and excited to do so, but inescapably there are fuel costs, motor insurance, etc etc. It costs about £2k per minibus per trip, so with the best will in the world we can't keep doing it on our own.

Anyway - thought I'd share. Looks like we've got great weather for it. I've never been to Poland before!

See you when I get back!!

Good work you are doing.

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
A friend of mine who has a big house has just taken in a family of 4 Ukrainians. I'm proud of her and her family for realising that this is exactly what big houses are for. When you're privileged, you share it.

And SHAME for evermore on the UK government for demanding that Ukrainian refugees apply for visas. And that's not even the half of it . . .

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The first one of my mob to come here was a Prussian sailor who jumped ship 1860's and stayed here....trouble with invaders back then too. Prussia was being dissolved.

He never kept any contact with Europe and we have no knowledge of his family.

maybe some of them are involved in this present situation.

wulfenganck

Tele-Afflicted
Well done!
One of our singers took a ukrainian family in their apartment for about a month and helped them sort thing out with welfare office, immigration/refugee office and other paperstuff, until they managed to get a job and an apartment of their own.
A couple of friends and me collected old bicycles (not scrap, just unused and needing some repairwork) and other stuff for refugees. My sister who speaks russian fluently, offered help translating to social service.
There is a large scale of things to help with and even small ones count.

Quarter1969

TDPRI Member
Great move and action! It's fantastic to see other nations joining us here in making life of our Ukrainian neighbors at least a tad better until the victory comes and they can get back and rebuild their life. Approx. 3 million people from Ukraine made it to my country and they are very, very welcome - they mainly live with us Poles, in our homes or rented places, not in any refugee camps.

We do still have some historical issue between our nations, dating back to the WWII times but I believe there have never been a better time to say goodbye to old issues, say "forgive and be forgiven" and open a new book between our nations.

Stay safe and keep on doing these great things! Fingers crossed, every help is valuable and appreciated!

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
Bravo Zulu!

My mentor, a 75 year old Vietnam veteran is heading over to Ukraine in 2 weeks to help build tiny houses for those who have had their homes destroyed, but can’t/won’t flee.

There’s a way for everyone to help. You just have to look.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Holic
Great move and action! It's fantastic to see other nations joining us here in making life of our Ukrainian neighbors at least a tad better until the victory comes and they can get back and rebuild their life. Approx. 3 million people from Ukraine made it to my country and they are very, very welcome - they mainly live with us Poles, in our homes or rented places, not in any refugee camps.

We do still have some historical issue between our nations, dating back to the WWII times but I believe there have never been a better time to say goodbye to old issues, say "forgive and be forgiven" and open a new book between our nations.

Stay safe and keep on doing these great things! Fingers crossed, every help is valuable and appreciated!
1660140903202.png

Arrrived home about an hour ago. Thanks for all the lovely comments on here, and also for the donations, though I'll do specific thank yous for those. It was a fantastic little adventure - can't believe it was only 2 days. I'll write up more about it, but for now here's a shot of us all at the drop-off point in Poland. It was at a fire station. I'm third from the right, and the two guys on the right are firemen. As we arrived, we heard sirens and I thought we needed to pull over for an emergency vehicle, but it was them using the fire engine to trumpet our arrival. They shook all our hands and kept saying "welcome" and "thankyou" over and over. I was holding back tears - though to be honest, that's nothing new for me! Minibus on the right is the one I drove. Below, some shots of what we delivered, stacked on the grass and by the side of the fire station. Tinned food, nappies, sanitary towels, kids' car seats, suitcases, surgical dressings, crutches, walking frames..... This time round, I only did the trip out, but 4 minibuses brought people back - bottom picture. I go again next week - full trip this time, supplies out, refugees back.

Exhausted but happy. Might be the best experience of my life that didn't involve my wife!!

And again, because the costs are unavoidable, if anyone's able to help:

1660141366095.png

1660141459169.png

1660141603073.png