New A/C day

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mark E Rhodes, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Mark E Rhodes

Mark E Rhodes Tele-Meister

My wife and I live in a small South Florida condo. We knew the A/C unit (2-ton compressor outside; handler in the laundry room) was not long for this world. Hoped it would last into the new year but no such luck. So I'm here with the two guys listening to Ozzy and making our place livable.

It's 82 outside right now (with 63% humidity). That's better than recent temps in the high 80s but warm enough to need A/C. It could be 80 on Christmas day for all we know. Wouldn't be the first time.

My mom and dad moved down here in '55. They didn't have A/C. Most people they knew didn't either, maybe one window unit. In those days, 7/11 is where you went to feel a blast of cold air. Terrazzo floors, breezeways, fans, that's what made life tolerable. There are still some old-timers here who don't like A/C and don't have one, but for the rest of us, it is considered a necessity, not a luxury.

The last time I was out A/C for an extended period was after hurricane Wilma, back in October of 2005. Was without electricity for 9 days after that. Made coffee on a propane camping grill. Stars are much brighter, and the sky is fuller of them (-from our perspective) when there is no ground light shining.

dented and swervinbob like this.
  2. StoneH

StoneH Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Good luck!

I'm remodeling my childhood home in Pensacola and just had to replace the A/C . . . almost $7K for a 4-ton.

Mark E Rhodes likes this.
  3. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

We were almost directly west of you on Sanibel in mid September this year; we spent two weeks in a condo on the beach. It was in the 90s and humid; our Ohio bodies were melting outside, so the AC was a must. I cannot imagine that area without AC.

Enjoy the cool. We replaced our AC unit over two years ago, and our electric bill went down a good chunk.

Mark E Rhodes and dented like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.