1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New '72 Custom FSR w. Bigsby - questions

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by AntoStrummer, Oct 27, 2020.

1. AntoStrummer

AntoStrummer TDPRI Member

I couldn't rest this one as i had my eye on a pair of them that had been in my local music superstore (don't get me started on the demise of the small independents). I always thought £899 was a little steep for a MIM and the rest of my guitars are US or JP, so I had a bit of a thing against MX Fenders. I only went in to look at the new Squire Cabronita Thinline but noticed the price had been dropped to clear at £650. Great guitar, neck slightly more of a handful than I would normally go for but really comfortable, SOLD!

So.. a couple of questions to the Great Tele Hive Brain...

The woods are one of the things that sold it to me, the neck has a nice shimmer on the front and back with some light figuring. The body is ash, get it while you can, and unusually (I think) for a MIM, a two piece (result!). It has some strange but lovely figuring when you tilt it into the light, like a kind of snake skin diamond thing going on, I have tried to capture it in the photos but when it really shows up the reflections take over in the camera. Any thoughts on these, they are really nice but not seen them before.

The other is about the dual volume controls, is it normal for a '72 for both pups to turn to zero when one volume only is turned to zero? May be the correct wiring for the period does the same, though this isn't a vintage re-issue, it has a lot of the correct appointments so maybe this is the case??

Lastly, is there any point in looking into getting the jazzmaster bridge adjustable 'as a whole' rather than the height one each saddle? I haven't had the strings off yet but it looks like the bridge posts have the threads in them for the adjustment screws, just the bridge is flat to the plate at the moment.

8D0B1BD2-7064-48EA-AD20-7DA9E341C312.jpeg FF4DCC10-EB4D-4094-AEDD-D73F8B1AD8BC.jpeg 334FC788-0B64-4A1E-8FC4-2BAD6ACCA133.jpeg 400FA557-CD7A-4607-A7A5-1D5DE78C1333.jpeg

teletimetx and 68Telebass like this.
  2. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't know how this Tele is "supposed" to work, but my LP (so similar pickup/control configuration) does the same and that's normal. It takes getting used to but you get used to it. There are also readily available mods to make them independent if you wish.

The general idea in setting up those JM-style bridges is to get the individual saddles high enough so the string doesn't touch the back lip of the bridge, and well as to set the radius you like, and then raise the bridge as a whole to set your action (this is done via an allen key in the holes at either end of the bridge). It can take a little back-and-forth but it should be easier on a Bigsby'd Tele than on a Jazzmaster. That was my experience, anyway.

AntoStrummer likes this.
  3. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Meister

That's a really nice Tele. Wow! Sweet!

AntoStrummer likes this.
  4. AntoStrummer

On inspection the strings are touching the back of the bridge, good call, thanks! I'll have to try a few adjustments by the looks of it, probably use the micro tilt on the neck to allow the saddles to come up as the bridge won't go any lower.

5. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't think the string-touching thing is fatal, but eliminating may cut down on tuning issues and pingy string noises.

I should have mentioned the possible necessity of shimming, but your micro-tilt will do the job if needed.

6. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Looks great!! I love that “snakeskin” visible in the grain!! Nice score!!

AntoStrummer likes this.
  7. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Well, HNGD!!!

Weird, I just picked mine up today as well!

Mine is plain wood color. Been playing it the past hour and setting up the bridge as well. I think I finally have it but may raise the action slightly. I like a bit more give in the strings than you get with low action.

I had the guitar shop get it in about 6 months ago and have been sweating the purchase ever since. I finally gave in because I'm totally sick to death of constantly wondering if I like it enough to spend the top dollar for!

Normally I would say to myself, if it doesn't strike you straight away, don't bother but then I figured if I can't just let it go there must be something there!

Not sure if you saw this thread...

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/looking-at-72-custom-fsr-with-bigsby.995797/

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  8. AntoStrummer

Same regarding indecision, I spent a week deciding even after seeing it reduced. I think on my part it may be age, as a younger chap I would have pulled the trigger without hesitation.
    After having it for a few days it’s a no-brainier. Also there are some mods to try, a hotter, darker bridge P’up maybe and pot changes, it’s a great canvas.

Out of interest, what does yours weigh in at? Mine is about 8kg, seems reasonable given the weight of the Bigsby.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  9. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

That's a beauty. Congratulations!

I had a Squier Tele with a similar Bigsby (the B-50 licensed version) - actually I still have the body and bridge assembly. I couldn't make it work for me. I like light strings, usually 9s. I found that with 9s, the guitar had little sustain and just didn't sound good. I did some research and concluded that a bridge like this, at least the way it was set up on my Squier, needs more tension/downward force than 9s could give. I tried 10s and it was significantly better. It probably would have been perfect with 11s or 12s, but strings that big are not for me. So, if you have that kind of issue, bigger strings may help.

I looked into a Mastery bridge. They have excellent reviews, but the one that would fit my Squier cost $200. I had already replaced the Squier's neck and pickups. With the Mastery bridge I would have had a $1,000 Squier, so I decided against it.

One more tip - Reverend Guitars makes a "Soft Touch Spring" for Bigsbys. It replaces the stock spring but it is much less stiff. It gives the Bigsby more and easier movement, and kind of turns the Bigsby into something a bit closer to a Strat tremolo. They cost about $10 and pop right in to the bridge. Look for some videos online.

AntoStrummer likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.