1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New 6v6 :)

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by dougstrum, Jan 22, 2021.

1. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

IMG_20210121_121757052.jpg Got some new jj6v6s yesterday for my main gigging amp. Been playing through it this morning while wife is running errands; no volume restrictions here;) They seem to be just what I wanted, punchy, articulate and more headroom. Had tried jjs 10 yrs ago and one tube went bad pretty quickly so got some EH instead. Lately I've been running old black glass sovteks, got a few sets in the parts bin.
    The sovteks have a nice smooth sound, but our last gig in November we added a new bass player, and found myself wishing for a bit more headroom. There have been a few threads lately on best 6v6, thought I would try jj again. If these jjs hold up they seem to be just the ticket. IMG_20210122_091401656.jpg

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

What is the amplifier and are you having the bias adjusted or do you just put the tubes in, and check for no red plating I'm just curious thanks

3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I've had JJ Power tubes in both my old Deluxe Reverb and currently in my Blues jr. But both times they have been installed by an amp Tech and adjusted for bias

tah1962 likes this.
  4. dougstrum

It is an amp I built a while back; kinda Tweed/BF mash up.
    I have not pulled the back off to check ma draw, but like you no red plating and sounds good I'm happy. I will check it at some point though.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  5. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I run the JJ’s in my 68 Custom Princeton Reverb. Last time I biased it I believe my plate voltage was right around 445v so I set the bias at 21 mA. That’s between 65-70% dissipation. It sounded best to me in that range.

dougstrum and Chiogtr4x like this.
  6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for posting that, I've never seen those Sovteks before, although I was aware of their existence.

They're actually NOS made in the same factory before it became Sovtek, relabeled. I think that one was made in November 1975.

dougstrum likes this.
  7. dougstrum

I got a few sets of them probably late 80's when I was still using my deluxe reverb.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.