1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New 5F2A build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by HBamps, May 28, 2020.

1. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

It’s been several years since I built an amp from scratch and decided on a simple, low power and volume, classic. The only mods I plan to do is to add a Framus mid control and omit the tone control, for now. I want to see what the high end response is without the 5F2A tone control and possibly add it, or a simpler treble roll off circuit.

Since being stuck at home, a 5W amp seems like the perfect thing for both low volume playing and to keep my mind busy.

All parts purchased and on there way to me. I thought it’d be fun to do a little diary on the build to document all the challenges and successes.

More than just a pile o’ parts. Here’s the first bit of real progress. I measured the components and drafted the board in ACAD, printed to scale to get the template for drilling for eyelets. I could of bought one of the board options from mojotone but wanted to do it myself.

Attached Files:

getbent, monkeybanana and King Fan like this.
  2. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I admire all the skills on display here, CAD, beautiful DIY board, etc. Envious, me.

But is the board photo flipped L<->R? Or did you wire up the wrong side? Hmm, wait, it's like a Hendrix lefty guitar. No, I'm missing something here... :):):)

3. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

I just built one of these with the Framus Mid Control and the normal Tone Control. They actually work pretty good together.

4. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

I think your bias cap is backwards. Unless you have the board wired differently than stock.

EDIT: oh I see you do have it wired different... never mind. But why?

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  5. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

Haha, yeah the board does look backwards! I took the Hoffman layout, which is kinda weird but really ingenious actually, I just changed the preamp a little.

Attached Files:

6. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

Progress. Got all the heaters (don’t miss that at all), rectifier and power wired. Board mounted. Wiring in pic looks a little messy but haven’t tidied up yet. I’m hoping I can get things looking clean for the finished product. These little tweed chassis are tight little suckers!

Attached Files:

tizianod likes this.
  7. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

I got this amp running and, with some tweaks, I think it's sounding really great. I am still searching for a speaker that I really like but thru a 1X12 cab it's sounding really great.

I ended up with the following signal path. Input -> V1a -> Vol -> Framus Mid -> V1b -> high cut tone control -> 6V6. When I had the high cut following the mid control I felt it affected the taper too much and with it after the next gain stage, it's doing what I want (just shaving some highs).

I also experimented with cathode bypass caps on both V1a and V1b and found I am liking both unbiassed the best so far. Second fav was just V1b. I guess Im a rebel.

I am awaiting shipment of a Eminence 1058 hoping it'll give me something closer the low end of a 12.

Anyhow, this is a really fun amp and sounds great at low volumes. I have wanted a good amp for quiet home practice and when I play with singer/songwriters. I think this is going to be a perfect solution!

8. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

WGS G10C will give you the low end of a 12".

9. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

Thanks for this tip. I'll keep it in mind.

10. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

This amp is pretty much complete. I still want to refine the treble response and gain but it's sounding pretty good! Here's a clip, note that I am using OD pedals, as pretty much always do.

keithb7 and Tom Kamphuys like this.
  11. James Knox

James Knox Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I’m also trying to sus this out on my 5F1. Do you have both of these on a mini toggle switch, or did you audition them in and out of the circuit while playing?

12. James Knox

James Knox Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Beautiful tone. What pedal do you use in this clip?

13. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

alligator clips

James Knox likes this.
  14. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

I am using a JHS Morning Glory, JH Fuzz Face with the volume rolled back on the lead part, delay.

James Knox likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.