New 5F1...another spare parts on-the-cheap build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by RollingBender, Feb 18, 2020.

1. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted

Been wanting to build something for a good friend of mine for awhile now. Finally was able to get out of him what he wanted in an amp. After going through his list of “wants”, I had him surf YouTube for 5F1 videos and he said that one checks all the boxes.

I did an inventory of my parts stash and the only things I don’t have are the OT and the rectifier tube.

Because this will be an on-the-cheap build, a few components will not be typical.

First, I do have an old 8” alnico that was pulled from an organ reverb unit but I have a huge pile of 12’s and a couple 10’s from organ donors. Considering using a 10 or 12 just for fun. All of the speakers I have are 8ohm. What would be a good/affordable OT to use.

Next, I found a new cap can that is 8-10-10-10,450V. Can I parallel the 8 and one of the 10 sections to have an 18-10-10? ( pretty close to the 16-8-8 the schematic calls for).

We will make the cabinet out of pine using half blind dovetail joints and then probably get crazy with the covering...probably multi colored leather. Not sure yet if we will do rear mounted chassis like a tweed or go with top mounted with front controls. I know we will be cleaning up the control panel by using a modern lit power switch and an IEC power jack with built in fuse holder. The grill cloth will either be from an organ or maybe an old gunny sack.

Paul-T likes this.
  2. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

I know they sometimes get scoffed at around here, but I've been very happy with every Weber transformer I have used and I have bought several now. Their prices are good and their service and shipping is way better / quicker than any of the online outlets that carry classictone for instance. I used a w022905m OT in an octal preamp princeton type build and its still one of my most used amps two years later.

Paralleling two sections of the cap can should work fine.

I know you said that you showed your budddy videos of the 5f1 and he said that's what he wanted, but did you show him any videos of a Tweed Princeton? That's a much better and more versatile amp IMO...

3. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted

Yes. I think I owe him full disclosure and will be introducing him to the tweed Princeton also.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.