New 5E7 Tweed Bandmaster Boot Hill Build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by bermuda, Mar 5, 2018.

1. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I'm not familiar with it, but on the Super I built I really liked the stock tone setup. It is very responsive, more so than any normal modern amp I've used. Where I was used to bass and treble knobs adding a kind of presence and overtone effect, the Super - and I assume the Bandmaster - tone controls were more of a "drive" for the bass/treble. I could get some cool Hendrix-like tones by boosting the bass and leaving the treble more midway. Instead of adding more boominess to the sound, it was only overdriving and compressing the low frequencies while the high end stayed relatively clean and distinct. Of course, you could do it the other way or any combination in between, but it just had a sound to it unlike anything else I've played -- clear treble with breakup if that makes sense.

Mr Ridesglide and Uncle Daddy like this.
  2. bermuda

bermuda TDPRI Member

Ok - finally back so I can resume work on the 5E7. I will just take this one step at a time - first up is ground bus - is the photo below correct on how i should setup the ground bus? Thanks!

groundbus.JPG

3. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Without a bigger screen to review diagrams, esp. around the filter caps, I’ll just say your board looks really nice, and wait for someone smart to comment on the ground scheme.

4. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

Looking at the Weber 5e7 layout, it looks like you need to couple your 2nd and 3rd 16uF filter caps together before sending the 3rd one to ground. The first filter cap should be joined to the cathode cap to it's left, and grounded independently of the other two.

https://www.tedweber.com/media/kits/5e7_layout.jpg

5. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

What @Uncle Daddy said,
    But the first cap all the way to the left is the bias cap and needs the positive lead to ground, I beleive it is backwards in yhe photo above.

6. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I like the way you did it with the B+1 and B+2 caps' ground tied together. That connects the power tube cathode and screen circuit grounds to the same point.

King Fan likes this.
  7. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Ooh. Yes. I agree. I would blame it on the small phone screen but i was just not paying attention. Ha. Still recheck that bias cap. The 56kr at the top left can join the bias cap and the first two filters ground.

8. hackworth1

hackworth1 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Grounding scheme is correct.

Bias cap gets positive to ground. And make sure that the stripe on the diode points toward the 50 V power line coming to it.

King Fan likes this.
  9. bermuda

bermuda TDPRI Member

Hi - thanks again for everyone's help on here - really appreciate it.

I got the ground bus finished tonite - onto the next item: The bias pot - i haven't seen a layout to figure out how to connect it or that end of the turret board - see photo below. Does anyone have a layout i could use that would work with this circuit? I looked at ceriatone's 5e7 drawing but not sure if I should use that here.

gb.jpg
    bias.jpg

10. bermuda

bermuda TDPRI Member

More progress - Special thanks to Dave (hackworth) from Boot Hill for helping me. I am posting a bunch of photos for anyone else building one of these in the future as it was hard to find many 5E7 build photos.

Attached Files:

11. bermuda

bermuda TDPRI Member

more - should note i still need the capacitor for the treble pot.

Attached Files:

12. bermuda

bermuda TDPRI Member

Hi - finally got the amp completed and it sounds awesome - especially cranked. Posting a few more photos including one of all 3 Boot Hill amps I have built. The 5F1 is the one on the right with a bee box cabinet. Thanks again to Boot Hill Dave for advice since there aren't alot of these builds documented.

20180401_170758.jpg 20180408_125650.jpg 20180408_125732.jpg 20180408_125752.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  13. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Awesome compliment of fine amps you have there!

14. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Great work. Congrats.

And thanks for the build details, as you say, for one of the rarer tweed builds.

I see the pics, but to make sure, how’d you end up wiring the bias pot?

15. hackworth1

hackworth1 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Thanks for the business.

16. bermuda

bermuda TDPRI Member

Thanks for the compliments - its not the cleanest looking build but it sounds good. The bias setup is in the photos below - the red with green stripe wire from transformer goes to the turret circled in light blue. The bias pot middle connector is connected to the black wire on the back of the board - connections circled in green. Also note the black wire connecting the 2 turrets on the back of the board to the last filter cap to ground.

A couple of other notes about the build:
    1. Chassis is from Weber, not as nice as other chassis I have got from Boot Hill but the 5E7 chassis are harder to find.
    2. All speakers in all 3 amps are newer Jensen P12R or P10R's - Bought them all used in mint condition off of Reverb - was nice to pay half price of new and have them already broken in. Interestingly, all but one came in celestion boxes so they must have been replaced with celestions. I like celestions in my marshall 4x12 cabs but want these tweeds to sound like authentic tweed amps.
    3. I got the 5E3 and 5E7 cabinets from tetienne2011 on ebay - nice cabinets.
    4. The amp is using the blackface output transformer instead of the tweed one specified by classictone - similar specs but I didn't need the 2.67 tap on the tweed OT, using the 4 ohm tap to get the impedence mismatch that contributes to the authentic sound.

bias1.JPG bias2.JPG bias3.JPG bias4.JPG

robrob likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.